Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, picked this little fella up with a coupon code, and overall I'm pretty happy with him. Looks great, feels cheap...I'm sure it's been said to death in this thread. Without scanning to far back tho, I do have the problem with one door not shutting completely; the long door right next to right(facing) leg. I push it in, but it just pops open a 1/16 of an inch and its bugging me a bit. Any fixes for this? Really don't want to return for such a small issue. Otherwise, with a code and no other 1/6 R2 in sight, pretty sweet figure.

It could be the internal arm preventing it from sitting flush, try different positions to see if that solves it (folded up and to the right, to the left, folded down and to the right, to the left).

So, picked this little fella up with a coupon code, and overall I'm pretty happy with him. Looks great, feels cheap...I'm sure it's been said to death in this thread. Without scanning to far back tho, I do have the problem with one door not shutting completely; the long door right next to right(facing) leg. I push it in, but it just pops open a 1/16 of an inch and its bugging me a bit. Any fixes for this? Really don't want to return for such a small issue. Otherwise, with a code and no other 1/6 R2 in sight, pretty sweet figure.

I just got him today and I love him! I also had the same issue with that door, but I just pushed the interior arm section (that travels along the rail) up a bit and it closed just fine. That might help. I don't know that he feels cheap to me... but he does feel very delicate with all the moving parts. They sure could have explained how to take his head off more clearly! Had to do a search for the video they made.

IMG_7222.jpg

I don't know that he feels cheap to me... but he does feel very delicate with all the moving parts.

Precisely this, I think some people need to check their vocabulary. There's nothing "cheap" about the production nor materials on this R2 - but as it's been known in product marketing for decades, mass/weight generally gives a false impression of quality. It's why so much (solid state) audio equipment is artificially weighted.

I wouldn't say he feels cheap... he feels hollow and light. But amazing piece. That door gap is due to the interior arm. I had the same issue, but I found that if the arm needs to be slid along the track to either the very top, (or very bottom, I can't remember which) and the door closes fine. Hope that helps!

Thanks guys. Slid the arm out do the way and bam, closed beautifully. I really do love the look and still haven't had a chance to turn the lights on yet and truly play with him. Definitely a good pickup with a coupon code. Cheap might not have been the best word, but I can't say I wasn't expecting just little more heft to it(why I have no clue lol). Overall though, it's nice to have a great R2-D2 in the house.

Looks great! I almost picked up R2 at a convention last weekend but managed to resist.

Just wanted to share my R2 mod I've done with the dome parts. Made the periscope and sensor raise a bit higher, lightsaber hatch area stays open and lightsaber locks into place. The features on the dome always bugged me and how they didn't function as well as I hoped. I'm happy with the minor results but boy a lot when on under the hood to get them to work. Everything closes up nice and neat as it original came. Thanks for looking.

R2_01.jpg

R2_02.jpg

Excellent. If you have some time to elaborate on how you proceeded, it would be greatly appreciated :clap

Thanks for the comments! I’ll try to explain how I went about this and try to keep it short

Let me start off by saying it’s not a mod for the feint of heart. I ran into quite a lot of problems. One of the problems being that when R2’s dome was taken apart, the wiring came off the projector bulb. The wires on that bulb are super thin and weak and having to man handle the dome parts and mod it is going to guarantee that they will snap off. I was able to solder the wires back on and while wrapping up the mod and assembling the dome back together caused the wires to snap off at the circuit board! Had to solder them on there as well. There’s a lot going on under R2’s dome. Wiring, delicate pieces, and parts are all crammed up under there.

R2_03.jpg

Periscope mod

The way the mod works on the periscope and the sensor is that I added a telescoping cylinder shaft to both. That way the periscope and sensor can have additional height. To get at the periscope and sensor, you have to cut off the spring housings for both (silver cylinders).

The periscope on R2 has two blue striped areas running down the stem and removed them by sanding. The new telescoping cylinder shaft is a 7/32 styrene tubing from Evergreen Scale models 1 ¼ inch in height. I used a groove and notch to enable the periscope to pull up the new cylinder base. Also added stoppers to the new cylinder shaft so it doesn’t pull out of the dome.

The periscope spring housing needs some work to fit the new shaft. There are gooves inside that line up the spring platform. I filed a bit of the upper area of the grooves to be a wider opening to accommodate the new cylinder shaft. The shaft also needed to be tapered a bit to help fit as well.

Sensor mod

Pretty much the same as the periscope, but the new telescoping cylinder shaft is a 5/32 styrene tubing from Evergreen Scale models 1 1/8 inch in height. I added a stopper at the end of the sensor and added a drop of superglue at the top opening of the new cylinder to prevent the sensor fully pulling out.

The sensor spring housing doesn’t need too much work and is pretty good as is. I added a stopper on the new cylinder shaft to prevent it coming out of the dome and a thicker endcap to help it fit the spring housing without any wobbling.

Lightsaber hatch area

For the hatch i created a styrene ledge on the door and on the dome I added another styrene ledge. When you open the hatch, the ledges lock onto each other. Pushing down on the hatch releases that lock.

Working on the getting the lightsaber to lock down in place, I realized the spring housing wasn’t deep enough. I popped off the bottom and added a 5/16 styrene cylinder to drop the spring down a bit lower. That is about ¼ inch in length. I made a catch in the spring housing so that the top of Luke’s lightsaber will catch under which locks the hilt in place.

Don’t know how clear this is but hopefully it helps. Good luck!

Back