Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet figures, but man, do those photos make R2 look undersized. ;)

Yeah, he is undersized, though some of it is the angle. I'm building some lifts for R2. It's odd - there's not a huge amount of difference between the SSC and Taito R2's (Taito seems to be accepted as the right size) but that small difference does seem to make a difference. If that makes sense.

Where did Beedo's vest come from? Dyed Hasbro Hoth Leia?

Yeah, but it was totally rebuilt (it was way too small and narrow and the collar was useless) - I only used the quilted section and the rank badge. And yes, that weird belt on Beedo is screen accurate (it appears they used a gate hinge for the buckle - a new low in greeblie sourcing.:lol)

I took my new SS R2-D2 to our local AZ Joehead group meeting yesterday along with the Hasbro R2 & C3PO and the Medicom R2 & C3PO to show the differences.
300x300.jpg
300x300.jpg

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/1/297b1bf3e9564701819ec85c6f1d09d6/300x300.jpg

I took my new SS R2-D2 to our local AZ Joehead group meeting yesterday along with the Hasbro R2 & C3PO and the Medicom R2 & C3PO to show the differences.

The new SSC R2 pairs up pretty well with Medicom's C-3PO when compared to some scenes in the movie. I'm convinced that there's a pretty big and rather noticeable size discrepancy in the movie between the R2 costume and at least one of the radio controlled props.

R2 is on the UPS truck and out for delivery... I cannot wait to put R2 on the new shelf I just put up on my new house office.

The new SSC R2 pairs up pretty well with Medicom's C-3PO when compared to some scenes in the movie. I'm convinced that there's a pretty big and rather noticeable size discrepancy in the movie between the R2 costume and at least one of the radio controlled props.

I agree, were there also different R2 costumes used in the film? Take a look a the image below. There are what look like air ducts attached to the feet and in some shots they are not there.

ScreenShot2015-02-10at100928AM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree, were there also different R2 costumes used in the film? Take a look a the image below. There are what look like air ducts attached to the feet and in some shots they are not there.

ScreenShot2015-02-10at100928AM.png
[/URL][/IMG]
there were a number of props and yes any one that Kenny was in was visually different than the other props.

Those ducts were only on the Kenny baker ones.

Well, it started out with R2's lights dead and his upper projector was lost, and things were glum...

1r21-XL.png

Then I noticed that the lights had started working after I futzed the batteries for the fourth time, and I managed to get the tweezers onto his projector and wedge it, so joy flowed...

1r22-L.png

Then when the lights started to die again (got a total of ten mins...) and the projector kept dropping back inside the dome, I tossed him over to the Palace...

1r24-L.png

1r23-XL.png

And they were happy to have him...

1r25-L.png

It really is a great figure, even with my dome dramas. The body is actually pretty tight (no loose hatch issues other than one blue arm) joints-wise, so I feel more fortunate than I did after I first opened him. SSC e-mailed me and said they will send a replacement dome - excellent CS as usual.:clap It will be great to have the lights work properly and have that projector anchored in place.

Fantastic pics!

Thanks. I intended to use the GG bust head and ordered it, but when it arrived it was more like 1/7 - really not big enough at all. I cast the mouth/lower jaw (didn't think I could pull off a teeth sculpt) and made/sculpted the rest. Head's maybe 20-30% GG. The Beedo head is a blend of that cheap fridge magnet and the Hasbro head. One hand is SSC, the other hand is all custom to make it like Beedo's hands. I have a vest and accurate belt for him in the works to alternate as Greedo.

Wow, very impressive work, my hat is off to you :duff

Mine is out for delivery and after reading through this thread I have bitten my nails down to blood stumps worrying about getting a damaged dome.

I got mine yesterday and I love it! Here are a few points:

He's not any lighter than I expected, considering he's made out of plastic. I don't know how it could be any heavier unless weight was added artificially. He definitely doesn't feel any more flimsy/fragile than the probe droid.

Mine only had one semi-loose panel as the rest of them had hinges that had at least some resistance. The top panels of course flopped open when turned upside down.

My periscope and life scanner stay up pretty easily. A gentle tug is enough to snug them into place.

My only complaint is that the periscope panel doesn't sit completely flush on the dome when retracted.

I guess I'm either lucky with mine or just easy to please. Either way, I'm very happy with mine and highly recommend it!

Got an e-mail from Sideshow yesterday.
My replacement dome is on it's way.
The fact the we have to take pics of the destroyed dome is a little weird.
I just hope my replacement dome doesn't have any paint issues.

How would they confirm you destroyed the old dome without pics? The alternative would be making you ship it back to them for replacement.

I think it would be fair if they just allow you to keep the original, but you should be expected to show photographic proof of the issue, to keep people honest. After all, it's the customer who experiences the letdown of having a part that is flawed in some way after months of anticipation. Why not let us keep a spare part even though it's flawed, in case of emergency?
Come to think of it, that's exactly what they DID do in the case of my flawed Vader dome. Yeah- like that.

Now I'm glad this didn't have sound.
Imagine the issues people would have with that?
Mine sounds slow,mines too fast.
Blah blah blah

:lol

And all the questions: "Hey you guys, do you get three beeps followed by a fart sound... or the reverse?" "Hey guys, I think mine's faulty", the beeps don't sound like the movie beep's pitch?" "Hey all, does everyone's here sound pretty loud or is it slightly low volume?"

Back