Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Artoo, come back at once! You haven't finished with me yet.
You don't know how to fix the hyperdrive. Chewbacca can do it.
I'm standing here in pieces and you're having delusions of grandeur!"

what`s the tub look like that your referring to any pics of it

Not sure what you mean by tub... it's that little projector thingie at the top of the dome. Whole unit including the rubbery black surround ring was rolling loose inside the head. I can see it but there's no way to get it out. As someone else mentioned, you can see where there was a dab of glue on the unit that has separated - not sure I could repair from the outside without creating a visible blob of glue (it's designed to glued from inside the dome.)

I had the same issue with the top projector when I opened mine. Fell out of the hole in the dome and it was loose in the dome. I contacted SS customer service with pictures and they said that they would contact me back about a replacement but that was mid last week and so far nothing.

I bit the bullet this weekend and unscrewed the three screws on the bottom enclosure of the dome. Then took a plastic "spudger" tool (used for computer/electronics repair and is soft enough plastic as to not scratch, gouge or mark up the plastic) and pried it open. That was the tough part at first because It would not just pop out. I thought it might be put in with glue as well as the screws but this was not the case. Just really in there tight. If you do this, be careful of the electronics components around the edges as you pry it. When inside I could see that the projector was originally held in with a tiny bit of glue (there was a glue spot on the paint of the little silver plastic casing that held the projector and the black rubber gasket). I put the smallest dab of gorilla glue on the exact same place where they had the glue originally, positioned it back in place (it fits in one way only, and fits perfectly that way), waited 5 minutes for the glue to dry and put everything back together. It is perfect now. If you have this same issue I highly recommend just fixing it yourself. It was incredibly easy and saves the hassle of a new dome and (supposedly according to some on this board) having to destroy the old dome and send photos.

Thanks for posting. If it wasn't for the electronics being dead, I might have tried this. And your screenname is the best I've seen - it was so true.:lol

I got him in didn't have time to photograph him. He is a little wonky. The dome pieces don't stay up but I don't plan to use them. The arms I'm excited for. He came with soder arm, laser gun,claw,, saw, port key. Only one I'm not sure about. It's either another type port key or extinguisher. The only arms missing from design is mini claw for dome (use on x-wing) and extinguisher tube for dome( x-wing )

"Artoo, come back at once! You haven't finished with me yet.
You don't know how to fix the hyperdrive. Chewbacca can do it.
I'm standing here in pieces and you're having delusions of grandeur!

I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal :) be careful r2!

FINALLY opened mine up.

Overall, it's an okay figure IMO that looks good on the shelf and will look even better with 3P. I always considered this an accessory piece to the human SW figures so for me, it serves its purpose. Mine rolls nicely too. My first gut feeling was that it felt cheap in hand but not to the extent of when I first held a HT IM which felt WAAY too light, this didn't feel TOO light. Of course the blue arms flap wide open with mine, I think it wants its Mommy, but the lights all function well, my favorite feature. Also the periscope panel flaps open but I can deal with all that. Good paint apps, I may wash off the weathering from the dome, haven't decided yet. But again, overall pleased with what it is -- not a super great figure but definitely great looking and worth the price.

Now the big question -- would I dump this for a motorized, die-cast-SOUND and light effects HT R2? -- depends on the price. Probably not.

Love all the pics, guys, keep 'em coming. :r2d2line

Well, it started out with R2's lights dead and his upper projector was lost, and things were glum...

1r21-XL.png

Then I noticed that the lights had started working after I futzed the batteries for the fourth time, and I managed to get the tweezers onto his projector and wedge it, so joy flowed...

1r22-L.png

Then when the lights started to die again (got a total of ten mins...) and the projector kept dropping back inside the dome, I tossed him over to the Palace...

1r24-L.png

1r23-XL.png

And they were happy to have him...

1r25-L.png

It really is a great figure, even with my dome dramas. The body is actually pretty tight (no loose hatch issues other than one blue arm) joints-wise, so I feel more fortunate than I did after I first opened him. SSC e-mailed me and said they will send a replacement dome - excellent CS as usual.:clap It will be great to have the lights work properly and have that projector anchored in place.

Those are some sweet looking customs Talibane... did those start out life as GG busts, or something else? Very impressive, I especially like how Ree Yees turned out.

It really is a great figure, even with my dome dramas. The body is actually pretty tight (no loose hatch issues other than one blue arm) joints-wise, so I feel more fortunate than I did after I first opened him. SSC e-mailed me and said they will send a replacement dome - excellent CS as usual.:clap It will be great to have the lights work properly and have that projector anchored in place.

I too am waiting and should have my replacement dome this week I hope, as my image sensor does not sit flush when closed. All these new QC issues amaze me. Never really had any problems with sideshow out of the many items iv'e bought (30 + ?) First problem I had was the lightsaber on my Darth Maul premium format wouldn't light up. Then I had the broken tusk issue on the Deluxe Vader, and now R2. I love these things but the way prices have risen they should be paying more attention to the packaging of the final product. Between Hot Toys and Sideshow they'd probably be able to save a good chunk of $$ and be able to charge us less if they would focus more on QC... Maximizing profit should be their goal.. I can only imagine what they must deem acceptable loss lately. Getting crazy... :dunno But I keep buying cause they're awesome!!! :yess:

Those are some sweet looking customs Talibane... did those start out life as GG busts, or something else? Very impressive, I especially like how Ree Yees turned out.

Thanks. I intended to use the GG bust head and ordered it, but when it arrived it was more like 1/7 - really not big enough at all. I cast the mouth/lower jaw (didn't think I could pull off a teeth sculpt) and made/sculpted the rest. Head's maybe 20-30% GG. The Beedo head is a blend of that cheap fridge magnet and the Hasbro head. One hand is SSC, the other hand is all custom to make it like Beedo's hands. I have a vest and accurate belt for him in the works to alternate as Greedo.

Very happy with R2 after all the hair pulling - it really looks excellent. I can see all the negatives people are seeing, but it just looks so good in both three and two legged poses. And when they work, the lights are incredible. The drinks tray has been tossed to the Taito R2 - this SSC R2 is standing up front!

The Beedo head is a blend of that cheap fridge magnet and the Hasbro head. One hand is SSC, the other hand is all custom to make it like Beedo's hands. I have a vest and accurate belt for him in the works to alternate as Greedo.

Where did Beedo's vest come from? Dyed Hasbro Hoth Leia?

Back