Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Positive, I've owned 4 (3 of the lights only version and 1 light and sound version) and they've all had problems of one sort or another (not all had light leak).

Issues ranged from bad paint applications / light leak / dodgy sound due to poor wiring.

It was nice enough for the prices I paid (ranging from £60 to £99) but it was far from perfect.

Ah, I see.
Maybe I got lucky with mine. I have the version 2 with the r2 sound.
I also got it at a discounted price, I think almost the same price as the SS.

Are you sure the dome wasn't completely set? Cause you have to pull the dome off to install the battery, maybe the dome wasn't completely pushed in.
Mine has no light leak. And the paintjob looks great.

I'm still waiting on more in hand pics cause I have the SS r2 on PO but I really love my medi R2.
I know most people were put off cause its on the small side but it doesn't bother me.
The paintjob on the medi is superb.

There's things I like better on SS, and some on medi.
Will have to judge when more in hand pics show up.

I agree. Wait for the side by side paint finish and molding comparison. Others like scale and feature. Sideshow surely have the upper hand.

I agree that the Gammies and Yoda are pretty terrible. I was excited back in the day but since having them in hand have realized that they are pretty damn crappy. Heavy crap Chinese lead-based paint is the key problem.

I would love to see what HT would do with a Gammy, though I'm certain this will never happen.

Take the neck plug out of the head, dremel the hole bigger, set the plug is lower and his head will sit right. Take the helmet, remove the neck cover section, replace it with fabric, tuck that in to his shirt and it's perfect.
Nope - don't agree.

The under articulated limbs make it an instant fail - detail inaccuracies aside. :(

Looks good. I especially love the white box and the fact that the price was mentioned multiple times. ;)

Under the more natural lighting and slightly oof, the seam wasn't an issue. Looks like they've painted the inside of the compartments silver instead of white, but no weathering. The blue fold-out parts are also silver on the back side where they should be blue. Not a big issue if you don't care about this kind of thing or if you plan to display him closed up.

The red/blue color cycling is very distracting and I was hopeful it might change over more slowly so you wouldn't see it or that there were multiple lighting modes. The current flashing reminds me of a police car. I think whomever designed the lighting didn't consult the movies (even if the lighting is somewhat different in all three OT) . ;)

The scale of the table and its components, including the hologram, if it wasn't obvious before, is completely wrong. It's a big mish-mash. Shame, because the table is one of the best features of the set.

Last edited:
That video has allowed me to breathe easy. After those last pics I was worried about the seam but I can tell once he's posed in the detolf with third leg down it won't be a problem.

Have we hit the "the seam isn't so bad" part of the thread progression yet or do we need a little more time? I might need to come back when more people have posted in-hand pics.

Great video! It looks like the seams really aren't that visible after all. I'm excited again!

Nope - don't agree.

The under articulated limbs make it an instant fail - detail inaccuracies aside. :(

The ankle joints proved to be the biggest fail for me, my gammy did a couple of foward flips onto carpet (thankfully) he's too top heavy especially with an out-stretched weapon.
He really needs to hold the vibro-staff weapon to prevent him leaning over

Have we hit the "the seam isn't so bad" part of the thread progression yet or do we need a little more time? I might need to come back when more people have posted in-hand pics.

:lol hey, when I'm not looking at this through a macro lens and high-contrast studio lighting, this doesn't look half bad!

Back