Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant wait for christmas morning to open mine. If the dome has a seam and a crappy dome color, im going to do what I did to my taito model. Model masters makes a spray balm that stainless steel buffing metalizer. Tape up the parts that are not silver then when fully dry(like the next day) get a clean rag and buff the crap out of it and it will look like stainless steel.

I cant wait for christmas morning to open mine. If the dome has a seam and a crappy dome color, im going to do what I did to my taito model. Model masters makes a spray balm that stainless steel buffing metalizer. Tape up the parts that are not silver then when fully dry(like the next day) get a clean rag and buff the crap out of it and it will look like stainless steel.

That doesn't sound fun, and besides his dome should be chrome not stainless steel. Stainless steel is not as shiny as chrome plating.

That doesn't sound fun, and besides his dome should be chrome not stainless steel. Stainless steel is not as shiny as chrome plating.

R2's dome is not now and has never in the history of the universe been chrome or any chrome-like finish. Not ever. You might want a 1970's Kenner figure instead. ;)

Last edited:
R2's done is not now and has never in the history of the universe been chrome or any chrome-like finish. Not ever. You might want a 1970's Kenner figure instead. ;)

Yes I do.
Dang, my bad. Its been so long. Kenner spoiled me. I could have sworn his dome was super shiny when cleaned. I stand corrected.

Yeah, it brushed metal, no plating - I don't know what the original was made from, but you can brush aluminum or stainless, among others, for the same look.

On the subject of apparent missing weathering in the displays pieces at Secret Base, here's what R2 looks like in Sideshow's promo shots. You can see that the plastics are painted and weathered on the inside/back sides as well. Silver paint on the back sides of the blue panels and dirty smudged paint apps inside the compartments/space.

2172-r2-d2-deluxe-008.jpg

But when you compare to the movies, it's also obvious the inside of the blue pop-out panels are colored incorrectly.

r2 - blue.jpg

Last edited:
Did you mean to say ARE or AREN'T weathered? I don't see any obvious sign of weathering in those pics.

I'd also say it looks like the seam is photoshopped out of those pics too.

The web site photos ARE weathered where the SB video figures are not. Pretty clear that the back side of the blue parts and inside the crevices have been painted and dirtied up. The back sides of the blue parts are painted silver and the white elsewhere has grey and black grunge applied. It can be seen in every photo on the site with open panels and is in stark contrast with the very obviously unpainted parts in the Secret Base video. It's even more evident if you watch the video and look at the rest of the photos.

This says January 2015 on sideshows site now. Who has a pitchfork? It's angry mob time.

That SB video is so washed out I don't know how everyone is seeing the inside panels so clearly.

Well, now I just have Plissken left shipping in 2014... let's see if he also gets bumped back another month.

Back