Sideshow 1/6 Jawa Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally saw these at Wondercon and the material looked really think and inaccurate. It looked bad to me but I'm not a jawa expert. From what I saw I was not impressed. The material reminded me of a standard cotton hoodie.

Especially the one on the right, better futzing would help a lot though but it does look too thick now instead of too thin/crepe looking. I was so focused on their plastic faces and unlit eyes, I didn't even remember the hoods being so bunk.

Couple more from rebelscum where the hood on the right one is futzed a bit at least. Material is definitely new, maybe early production pieces.

wondercon-2016-sideshow-collectibles-hot-toys-044.jpg

wondercon-2016-sideshow-collectibles-hot-toys-043.jpg

Yeah, that material seems super thick for the scale. Hopefully it will futz better than we see here.

Still interested, but gonna wait for a deal.

Especially the one on the right, better futzing would help a lot though but it does look too thick now instead of too thin/crepe looking. I was so focused on their plastic faces and unlit eyes, I didn't even remember the hoods being so bunk.

When they were using the crepe material for the proto, it looked like the inside of the hood was black. Don't know if it that was accurate or common though, but looks like the hood in that bottom pic is like that.
100122-jawa-11.jpg

6fb6d3673c9e9e0d89c74cac8413121b.jpg

There's fur on their arms. You can see it peeking out of their sleeves. I don't know how their faces looked before but they don't look like flat plastic to me.

I'm actually looking forward to this release. I have the Hasbro figure but I'd really like a nice set of Jawas. I don't get hung up on weaves and patterns so as long as they end up looking like the pics above I'll be happy.

I really want these to be good. I will wait for production photos and in hand photos as well. I cannot pre-order anything in good faith from SSC anymore.

I love Jawas and want them in my collection so I really hope they pull these off.

The material looks good, IMO (until I see it in more detail) - at least a good start. However, they need to cut the fabric on a diagonal to make the ribs of the weave sit diagonally as well. They might actually be straight on their fabric if it's not actually a twill weave.

The costumes were made out of a throw with a thick twill weave, which is one of the most common fabric weaves around, and everyone has examples in their home or on their person (denim for example is twill). The most difficult thing at 1/6 scale is to find the right rib count per inch, a good thread diameter and a suitable weight (thickness).

I hope the Sideshow stuff doesn't have any stretch to it, that would be bad for futzing and water treatment, IMO - it would also be problematic for fraying the edges. I've got some ideal material here that was from a painter's fabric tarp, though recently have also seen some table cloths that would fit the bill well (both require dying to the correct color).

The heads on the actors in the movie were just covered in fabric and what appears like gaffer's tape - it was just supposed to black out the entire contents of the hood except for the eyes. I wouldn't expect Sideshow to copy the prop details and I'm sure if they used some type of fur there would be some people pissed off. If the head is smooth, that's fine with me - makes it easy to stick or glue things onto later.

Last edited:
I also have high hopes for this, will look great with my Sandtroopers. Like what I see sofar.

Thanks for posting those shots...I did end up seeing them over at Rebelscum.

The material isn't bothering me...it looks similar to the material used for Padawan Kenobi's robe a while back and that material was great...futzed really well and held. Hangs on the figure well too. These guys just aren't futzed with in this display...

Funny thing is....looking at the rest of the pictures from that show over at RS and one has to wonder....do the folks who set up the booths/displays at shows for SSC just yank the stuff out of the boxes and plop them on the stands? Even the HT stuff they have on display there looks just thrown up. I'd love to be the one that set those displays up and really pose and display all of the figures as well as they can be...

Back to the jawas...were those production pieces? Are we going to see these show up soon?

A couple of the people manning the booth were pretty crabby all three days I went. They had a small desk in the corner and signs all over saying "Ask to learn how to win Hot Toys Star Wars figures" I went up to a guy at the counter and looked at him patiently for him to finish his discussion with his one of his coworkers and he looked at me "What?" in a very irritated way. I asked him the question (there was a card stating what I said above right next to him) and he again irritated, directed me to one of the three Ipads on stands.

I love playing with my own figures so I too would be pretty stoked to get to set up these displays but apparently not this guy. A few years ago at SDCC there were cool setups with Hoth and a Droid Factory type displays but ever since then just figures on black cloth in museum poses and no futzing going on. I don't get it.

Nobody good wants to sit on the floor for three days at a show. These folks drew the short straws.

That still doesn't seem like any excuse to make a potential customer feel undervalued. If these people drew the short straws and couldn't hide it from a customer then maybe that says something about how Sideshow employees view them. Besides, the figures in the photos are all badly posed to the point of carelessness, which is just weird considering a show is a shop window.

That still doesn't seem like any excuse to make a potential customer feel undervalued. If these people drew the short straws and couldn't hide it from a customer then maybe that says something about how Sideshow employees view them. Besides, the figures in the photos are all badly posed to the point of carelessness, which is just weird considering a show is a shop window.

I didn't say it was right. I meant its a fact of life. Don't I wish every employee was enthusiastic, or when I called "blank" customer service they would pick up the phone quickly and with good energy and be helpful until the problem is fixed, instead of sending me to Hydrobad, India to someone reading through a manual. But that generally doesn't happen in real life.

You are right, I have worked convention duty in my lifetime and it can get tiring but if you are passionate about the product it helps a lot. A great deal of the booth tenders at Wondercon were actually in really good spirits. The girls working the PCS booth with the Thing and Street Fighter displays were super enthusiastic as were Tamoshi Nation and the like.

Fabric's a big improvement. Might think about these guys now but ugh - $220 for two Jawas.:slap

That equates to one Jawa for $110... when one Tusken was $135. And a Jawa doesn't even have a face let alone a headsculpt. He's a robe with some belts.:lol

Interesting that they got rid of the black fabric inner lining on the hood (which was screen accurate) It's possible it just would never have sat right with the two different fabrics, and it's really not that visible in the movie.

The hands (and bandoliers) seem a little undersized to me, but might just be the angle. It's become clear that Sideshow has real problems with scaling special-sculpt (i.e. non-standard/bare) hands - Snowtrooper and TOD Indy had ginormous Hulk hands while Tusken had little girl hands. Luke and Han Hoth's hands were also oversized, though not as bad as the Snowie.

Black lining would have been a prop detail/compromise for filming purposes - it's not something you should see/notice in the movie, the whole cavity should just look black except for the eyes. The robes themselves, as Jawas constructed them, should be all brown.

These are a steal compared to what you get with Leia and no doubt the quality will be better (just like all Sideshow's SW releases of the past few years have been). I haven't felt ripped off with any Sideshow SW release I've picked up since 2012.

Last edited:
These are a steal compared to what you get with Leia and no doubt the quality will be better (just like all Sideshow's SW releases of the past few years have been). I haven't felt ripped off with any Sideshow SW release I've picked up since 2012.

Have you bought anything since January 1st, 2013?

Black lining would have been a prop detail/compromise for filming purposes - it's not something you should see/notice in the movie, the whole cavity should just look black except for the eyes. The robes themselves, as Jawas constructed them, should be all brown.

Yeah, it's a tough call - I know what you mean and agree, but it is indeed visible in the movie. And it's not so obviously crew/filming related that you'd say it doesn't belong on the screen and therefore on the fig.

As has been discussed before, the same could be said for the gunmetal parts of Vader's facemask - it's done for filming purposes and he's "supposed to be" all-black.

I think the bigger issue is the hood looking fat due to all the fabric and hemming due to the different fabrics. For that reason, I'd prefer the straight brown - and yeah, straight brown looks better from a "Jawa seamstress" point of view.:lol

Back