Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they offered them separate I would have picked up the new jabba. I just don't have room for both new and old. once the new one is out no one would bother looking for the old and be hard to sell it.

Overall quality is a step up, but aside from the hookah and some slight paint, the thrones look on par with each other.

The original Jabba has the better sculpt, if you could compare the two with identical paint jobs, that would stand out more, but the new one is so much better painted it makes it hard to see it as lesser unless you’re abnormally attuned to the look of Jabba from Jedi to spot the fine areas where the new one is off and subsequently find it unappealing for that.

I don't feel the old one is a substantially better portrait -- I think that's subjective.

Even the slight raise on the throne is more movie accurate -- and that block just looks better. You can blame it on the paint, but isn't that a huge part of the improvement?

I'd love to see a repainted old Jabba -- I know they are out there -- and compare.

That picture of the two side by side says it all...it's almost like comparing a Sideshow figure to a Hot Toys figure of the same character...new Jabba has definitely made old Jabba obsolete.

The paint is definitely better on the newer Jabba and the throne. I don't really think anyone will contest to that much. But we really need to wait for actual production piece photo's of the shipped product are released. They also still would not answer what the finished product would be as far as the materials used for the production piece or what the weight would be. People complain about their R2 feeling like a cheap plastic toy, yet he came with lots of great accessories and only cost $150. Wait till people get this in hand and the throne is a chunk of plastic that is weightless, when the tail joint is still visible, mouth and eye seams are still there, and paint looks nothing like the proto... All SS signatures.... And they realize they just paid $795... Hopefully none of that happens.

And I foresee delays being announced. Sounds like it's not even done, yet it has an awful quick release date.

Damn, the more I look at this thing the more I am tempted, just as others have said that price and the SS production quality will be the real question.

Really liked that they put 1/6 Boba next to him as a size comparison. Man he is huge !

After seeing this I personally think they will be revisiting the aliens. Perhaps now the bounty hunter line is almost done (I think/guess) Jabba and the characters in his court maybe their new 1/6 Star Wars project. Plus the guy did mention he had all the alien characters. No doubt for research to upgrade the aliens as well......

Surely they've heard enough of us say SS should stick with the Aliens if they can't compete with HT. Maybe they've heard and are actually making it real ???

Everyone sayin' new one is superior becaus of a better pain.
It's a prototype, they always look great. Production pieces won't look remotely as good.

Everyone sayin' new one is superior becaus of a better pain.
It's a prototype, they always look great. Production pieces won't look remotely as good.

Don’t burst people’s bubbles. They need to be in a happy place after Rian Johnson raped their adulthood. :lol

Overall quality is a step up, but aside from the hookah and some slight paint, the thrones look on par with each other.

The original Jabba has the better sculpt, if you could compare the two with identical paint jobs, that would stand out more, but the new one is so much better painted it makes it hard to see it as lesser unless you’re abnormally attuned to the look of Jabba from Jedi to spot the fine areas where the new one is off and subsequently find it unappealing for that.

Yeah, and it's interesting they felt the need to do a side-by-side with the original Jabba. You have to wonder - why on earth would they do that? Go to the trouble of taking a 10+ year old product out of storage to show it?

Simple: Because SSC has noticed the comments (which are not just here) that the old Jabba sculpt is better than the new one. So they bring it out to let that bad 2007 paint sit right next to new, hand-applied prototype paint... proto paint that nobody will actually get.

Sculpt-wise, the new Jabba does look better from that low angle they filmed it from in that video (their camera is almost at throne level) and they were wise to choose the open mouth and spread out arms, because they look way better than the other mouth/arm options. Less like an animated series Jabba, as it appears in the website pics. The lower resolution of live video also hides the face seams - which they say they can hide in production, but in fact they made it worse on the production Tauntaun (though that was polystone.) Despite what he says, even with the closer PVC vs. 3D print tolerances and material "give," the seams will be visible - it's just a matter of how much.

And the host guy saying the original Jabba is too small? If you set aside the fact the new throne has a 3/4" insert riser below, and the fact v.2 Jabba has a straight tail (creating the illusion of him "appearing" larger overall) the height is an open question because SSC lists the new Jabba's height as 13 1/4", which is laughably too tall and an error (I think they have depth and height mixed up.) In most onscreen pics, Jabba appears to average about 5'-6" height (it varies, he's sometimes more slumped or stretched up,) which would make him him around 11" in 1/6 - the original SSC Jabba is about 10 3/4", so only about 1/4" undersized.

Sideshow's own track record proves this piece is risky as a PO. Look at a disaster like Red Five Luke - head went from an amazing HT-quality sculpt/apps piece in proto to something from Hasbro in production - loss of sculpt detail and huge drop in paint quality. The recent re-release of IG-88 - disastrous paint, step down from v.1. Dengar's face/eyes and weathering - fine, but a noticeable step down from the proto.

I like the concept of everything they've done here and the LOVE the ambition and commitment to 1/6, but people contemplating a PO need to think about what will this piece look like with noticeable gaps, less sharp sculpt and noticeably weaker production paint. This isn't hate, its solely based on what SSC has delivered in the past few years.

I believe most of us will be waiting for in-hand photos. Hopefully this doesn’t turn out to be another short run like Snowspeeder Luke.

He looks fantastic in that video. I even prefer the straight tail. Smart to show the old Jabba with him - day and night.
Only thing that keeps me away is price... though I’m not sure it’s surprising. It’s huge.
...it does sounds like more aliens are on the way: “we need to keep some secrets”...

If the new paint app is "remotely" as good as the proto, it will drop kick the bland original in the ass.

That being said, come on Hot Toys!

The Kid in me absolutely loves this. I was such a fan of Jabba when Jedi came out.. Back in the day I wanted the original toy more then anything and it was by far my fav Christmas present. This piece brings back all those giddy kid feelings... Don't know it I will buy. Price is high and the space it will take up is huge.. Plus I will then be tempted to get a 1/6 3PO, R2, and Fett and I don't collect 1/6

But man my inner child is screaming at me to get this.

I don't feel the old one is a substantially better portrait -- I think that's subjective.

Even the slight raise on the throne is more movie accurate -- and that block just looks better. You can blame it on the paint, but isn't that a huge part of the improvement?

I'd love to see a repainted old Jabba -- I know they are out there -- and compare.

Here's some illustrations to show my point, the new one's head area is too large compared to the body, and it looks like the head is squishing down into the stomach too much.

Jabba1.jpg

Jabba2.jpg

Jabba3.jpg

Jabba4.jpg

Overall body structure and proportions seem closer to this Hasbro figure than the puppet.

hasbro_jabba_sdcc2010.jpg

SOTD-397.jpg

Oh man, you brought out your old pictures of your Jabba. Haven't seen those in quite a while.

The old Jabba was always a great sculpt. And that's about it. It has aspects of detail that seem finer than the new, but then areas like the chin look off. The eyes look better on the old, but on the new you get multiple versions of eyes...

It could be a wash, just gets down to personal preference.

If I can't get the new one, and have to pay for a repaint on the old, then the old one will be better. :D

If that happens, then more power to Sideshow.

And I've saved $900... good for HT Jabba OR a much needed repaint of the SS original.
That’s my thought too. No chance in hell I pre-order something from Sideshow for $800. If the production run is small and I miss out then so be it. I still really doubt I’ll get this even if it does turn out to be a surprise but there’s a very small possibility. I think overall I’d rather wait and see what Hot Toys does.

Back