Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically releasing a brand new and improved version of the figure will devalue it more than a straight rerelease, and that doesn't violate any edition sizes. So counting on long-term value is always a dicey area.

However, this does create a potential negative impact on Sideshow's business, especially if it continues. If people start thinking they don't need to buy the figures right away because Sideshow will always rerelease them if they get too expensive on eBay, it could lead to slower and lower sales of new product. MattyCollector moved AWAY from the constant rerelease model years ago and vowed that no MOTUC figure would ever be rereleased in a bid to increase sales.

Sure SS may see some drop in exclusive only type collectors but I don't know if they have a significant impact or not. mattycollector/digital river has a myriad of problems that caused people to stop collecting(I collected MOTUC since SDCC King Greyskull) in addition to MOTU being extremely niche, Star Wars is pretty mainstream.

Although I'm happy for anyone getting a chance to pick this up for retail (I would certainly be happy if I'd missed out), gotta agree with galacti that it is shady. And no way is this a "2.0" simply b/c they excluded *one* piece. :lol

Thing I'm curious about is, is this just a convenient money grab that they'd have done even if HT weren't in the SW 1:6 market or a sign that they're hurting and desperate for cash. Maybe not re-releasing sold out and still popular figures is a luxury they can no longer afford.

Jedi Knight were great games. Especially with the mod that made lightsabers deadly and able to cut off limbs.

Loved that old game, you played as Kyle but also with a Snowspeeder on Hoth and then with his own ship against Xizor. You could get a big powerful green blaster and regenerate at the same time if kneeling (pressing a few keys)

Some of us collect because there are things we want to own and put on display. There are better things to put your money into if you want an investment.

Even if the things we buy lose money, they still retain a certain value. Putting money into figures is still a better bet than spending it on an alternative addiction such as smoking or drinking. :wink1:

Difference of opinion I guess. I don't care if my collectibles hold value, are limited edition, can be resold for more than paid or to incite envy from those who don't have it...it's just too elitist for me. If more people can have access to awesome collectibles without navigating "limited edition" labels and scalpers I'm all for it.

Agreed. I collect what I like. I'm glad when items hold value or increase it but never a deal breaker for me.

When and where is this seen in the movie? Very cool image! And my only Hasbro stuff on display are Kyle Katarns blasting at the Dark Forces (probots included!).

This is not from movie, it is a behind the scenes/promo photo

Technically releasing a brand new and improved version of the figure will devalue it more than a straight rerelease, and that doesn't violate any edition sizes. So counting on long-term value is always a dicey area.

Agreed.

I also dislike SSC's exclusives because as an international customer I always pay a lot more to get one. Glad the Probot wasn't an exclusive when it was released, not even the snow base.

This is up on BBTS. Same price but $6 Super Saver Shipping versus the $25 Sideshow wants to charge for shipping. Real tough choice deciding who to go with...

I always go with BBTS, being in CA I have to pay sales tax and higher shipping despite being 10 miles away but preordered as I doubt HT will make one.

Im sure this has been discussed but is this a trend? Fett and now this being reissued but not under the pretense of a reissue?

This thread could be about Master Replicas 10 years ago, when lightsaber props 1st came out, then subsequent elite editions, signature editions of the same lightsaber.

As a company though does it make sense to not make more of a product which has sold out. There are lots of customers willing to buy it, but say "sorry we won't as those people who already own won't be happy."
The company doesn't make any money on the object and see's the secondary market prices soar.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bottom line, we need these guys to be in business. We should understand if they need to make money, but as everyone said, they could have tweaked it. I was sort of feeling comfortable knowing I could sell it for more than I bought it to buy other figures. That was my plan for something I knew I might want, now it's shot to hell. Oh well, I get to keep it.

This is one I really can put in my office where people aren't sure what it is....

As a company though does it make sense to not make more of a product which has sold out. There are lots of customers willing to buy it, but say "sorry we won't as those people who already own won't be happy."
The company doesn't make any money on the object and see's the secondary market prices soar.
That's their professed business model, though. In the past they would've just moved on to another release but that was before HT came into the market. Might be unrelated but personally it doesn't seem like a great sign. And it *is* kinda weird. If HT tomorrow announced pre-orders for say the DX-13 or some other long sold out release, collectors would question it.

yeah it is strange that they would release this again but with out the snow base . it would be like HT releasing Chewbacca this time it would be a hairless wookiee

it is interesting that they removed the word "collectible" from their logo recently.

They seem to be the walmart of the industry these days.

Hi can anyone tell me the exact dimensions (height/breadth/width) of this probe droid when its on the stand please? Need to prepare an acrylic case to await the arrival of this thing.

Many thanks!

Decided to pre-order from BBTS. I'm glad it came up again even though I can see where others are coming from that it does seem a bit odd between this and the Boba Fett re-release that Sideshow is suddenly starting to do this more often. I missed out the first time and regretted it so grabbing it for retail is nice.

I'm just not pleased with Sideshow now going back on their original promise to not re-release items. Clearly the are a different company than when they started the line.

Just for posterity's sake, the guy at Sideshow that said they wouldn't do re-releases (Brock Otterbacher), is no longer at Sideshow, and works for Mondo, who are the friggin' kings of limited editions (rassafrassin. . . warrggaarrbll) , so he should feel right at home ;)

Rebelscum.com: Sideshow: A New Hope

Considering your history of your products selling out and the popularity of Star Wars collectibles, would you consider re-releasing popular pieces that there is still a large demand for in altered packaging, such as a ‘classics’ line?

Brock: We have gone through that with various other lines, and with Star Wars particularly we can’t say yes or no directly because who knows what the future brings. At this point no but the thing is there are so many [characters] in the Star Wars Universe. It would be easy to repackage it and throw it out there but even if it were in different packaging it still deflates the value in the minds of someone who already has it. It takes away a bit of it being special. There’s just so many figures to do, why re-release one?

That's their professed business model, though. In the past they would've just moved on to another release but that was before HT came into the market. Might be unrelated but personally it doesn't seem like a great sign. And it *is* kinda weird. If HT tomorrow announced pre-orders for say the DX-13 or some other long sold out release, collectors would question it.
Hasn't Hot Toys done that since the beginning with IM? I dont collect them but it seems like they made multiple versions of the same figure.

Sure they've released say two Mark III's, but they're completely different figures (original and diecast). When the underlying figure is the same (such as Python, currently in the banner), then it's a repaint. They've never just straight re-released a sold out figure.

I am typically not down with re-releases. I guess the different base counts as it being different. I would have liked the ROTJ look. With that said, i am happy to order one.

Back