Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what it looks like in a Detolf with the acrylic rod.

IMG_3760_zps16570b72.jpg

If only it had a timer circuit and a couple of servo motors in it to rotate the upper dome and raise/lower the antenna automatically.

If only it had a timer circuit and a couple of servo motors in it to rotate the upper dome and raise/lower the antenna automatically.

You will not be able to extend the antennae if displayed on a Detolf shelf.

You will not be able to extend the antennae if displayed on a Detolf shelf.

I can see that from the photo. ;) I'd put this guy on a shelf dedicated to Hoth goodness with a lot more head room. Alas, he costs $150 more than I'm willing to spend on him. Otherwise I'd love to attempt the motor/servo mod as I'm pretty sure I could pull it off nicely.

Last edited:
that's the project i'm working on! the control board + battery is a tight fit inside the SS model

Very cool. I'd forgo the battery for a wired DC connection that could be tied into the rest of my display lighting, but a remote motion sensor acting as a trigger would also be pretty cool.

I skimmed through the video without audio (need to rewatch tomorrow) - do you mention any details on the circuit you installed in it?

Very cool. I'd forgo the battery for a wired DC connection that could be tied into the rest of my display lighting, but a remote motion sensor acting as a trigger would also be pretty cool.

I skimmed through the video without audio (need to rewatch tomorrow) - do you mention any details on the circuit you installed in it?

I got it from Hyperdyne Labs (https://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_elec_probot.php) based on a recommendation from Jason Eaton. It was made to control a studio scale probot, hence the cramped fit inside the SSC model.

How about a Raspberry Pi inside with a mini projector mounted into one of the lenses? Then a copy of all three SW movies on an SD card. Get where I'm going? ;)

that's the project i'm working on! the control board + battery is a tight fit inside the SS mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa8FGlOPJEs

Now this is awesome! Its going to freaking awesome when you finish it!

Having it hardwired would be more convenient but then you need to hide the wires. You could run them through the support post, but that defeats the purpose of a clear post. If there's a lot of activity in the room where its displayed and its activated by motion then that may drain the battery quickly. I guess it would depend on the current draw of the servos.

This could and should also be applied to the upcoming SSC R2-D2

Back