Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope mine gets shipped today because then I'll have it Friday... if not I gotta wait until next week. :(

Damn, being busy is a gift and a curse. I've hardly had time in 5 weeks, but I finally have plenty of downtime for the next 3 days to dedicate to the hobby. It's gonna be fkin' glorious.

I start tonight with my Probie. Finally going to have a chance to get him in a solid pose :yess:

Good to her that some solutions surfaced for the acrylic rod.

that's the project i'm working on! the control board + battery is a tight fit inside the SS mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa8FGlOPJEs

Nice job man!!

Got mine today and it's glorious.

The detailing is incredible and I think the paint job is top notch. The matte black of the overall surface is luscious. The articulated limbs and pistons work great, although it is the ratchet style on some of the joints. The figure is light, but not as light as I was expecting. Definitely bigger than I was expecting. It has some serious presence.

I did have a couple of problems with it, though. One of the undercarriage pieces is a loose fit so it falls right out. It's one of the two small boxy pieces--the one with the hexagonal stem. But I can fix that with maybe some plumbers tape. The other problem was with the lights. When I first pulled out the plastic tab from the batteries, the lights were behaving erratically. As I was putting the lid back on, the lights would switch on, then to the amber light, then off, all without me touching the button. And it would do the same as I swiveled its head around. When I would try to turn the light off, I found that barely touching the button would activate the power. But then after a few minutes of me trying different things, it seemed to have fixed itself. Now the light turns on when I press and hold the button for about a second, and can switch it to the amber color by pressing for another second, and finally shut it off by again pressing it for another second. Is that how it works for you guys?

I'm absolutely happy with it. I've been keeping my purchases to a bare minimum, and this piece was essential for me. It's such a beautiful design. It can pretty much exist on its own and be the center of attention as a beautiful sculpture.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Got mine today and it's glorious.

The detailing is incredible and I think the paint job is top notch. The matte black of the overall surface is luscious. The articulated limbs and pistons work great, although it is the ratchet style on some of the joints. The figure is light, but not as light as I was expecting. Definitely bigger than I was expecting. It has some serious presence.

I did have a couple of problems with it, though. One of the undercarriage pieces is a loose fit so it falls right out. It's one of the two small boxy pieces--the one with the hexagonal stem. But I can fix that with maybe some plumbers tape. The other problem was with the lights. When I first pulled out the plastic tab from the batteries, the lights were behaving erratically. As I was putting the lid back on, the lights would switch on, then to the amber light, then off, all without me touching the button. And it would do the same as I swiveled its head around. When I would try to turn the light off, I found that barely touching the button would activate the power. But then after a few minutes of me trying different things, it seemed to have fixed itself. Now the light turns on when I press and hold the button for about a second, and can switch it to the amber color by pressing for another second, and finally shut it off by again pressing it for another second. Is that how it works for you guys?

I'm absolutely happy with it. I've been keeping my purchases to a bare minimum, and this piece was essential for me. It's such a beautiful design. It can pretty much exist on its own and be the center of attention as a beautiful sculpture.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Great review, I agree.
Love it, I have a mini Hoth set up now and it looks great.

:yuck That's gross.

That's effluent baby. Now, let's all sing the theme song together...

Oops - I think I meant "Affluent.":lol

I had the same issues with those little thingies that go underneath. One just drops out, though I turned it slightly and it seems to be holding in there (for now.)

And that sounds like you still have a bug in your light's electrics. Mine didn't have any of those hiccups, and I press the button to turn on/off and change color of the lights - no hold-down for a second necessary. Sounds like it works though, even if the hold is a slight hassle, so maybe not worth going through SSC's CS.

Picking up my acrylic post tomorrow... (though it's neither tube nor solid rod - I went with one that has a small 1/16" hole through it for strength)

Just heard my local retailer is getting these next week. Much earlier tha I expected. Cool

Here are some shots:

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

And here's one for size comparison:

IMG_6179.JPG

I had one of these sitting at my desk for a day or two (before the rightful owner called me up and said, "Ummm, hey, yeah, can I have my Probe Droid back?"), and you're right: It's a perfect standalone piece. Very elegant design, plus the small footprint means that you can find a home for it in the smallest of places. It screams "Classic Star Wars" to me. Only the Speeder Bike/Scout combo does it better.

So Sideshow has special team which found out that plastic is less durable than metal?
Those people are true geniuses!

Because adding clear rod to the actual set by Sideshow themself would kill this project's budget.

Though I don't appreciate the snarky and sarcastic responses you've given me here (especially since I myself will always be very respectful to each and every one of you here...no matter how you treat me)...yes, in all seriousness (I was not joking) materials for ALL products are sourced, tested, researched, etc. If a particular material is found to be worrisome (like clear acrylic rods for certain projects) then it will be ejected from an item. Keeping something on a product that could have problems down the line would cause immense frustration for customers/fans, so the team preferred to cut out that potentially future frustration.

-SideshowAlex

Disregard the snark Alex, a lot of customers are glad you guys are considering longevity in your projects/products. Unlike a certain other company whose products you happen to distribute… ;)

Yeah, don't mind him. While I prefer a clear rod (and I will get one for mine) its not like its THAT big a deal and to be kind of snotty about it isn't cool.

I think this is Sideshow's finest SW release to date. SSC's decision to go with a metal rod is perfectly understandable and doesn't detract from the piece at all.

I had one of these sitting at my desk for a day or two (before the rightful owner called me up and said, "Ummm, hey, yeah, can I have my Probe Droid back?"), and you're right: It's a perfect standalone piece. Very elegant design, plus the small footprint means that you can find a home for it in the smallest of places. It screams "Classic Star Wars" to me. Only the Speeder Bike/Scout combo does it better.

:lol I think you need to get your own! :wink1:

Great pics Lu.

Thanks! :duff

And, yeah Alex. Don't mind the snarky remarks. Like Pixelpiper said, we're glad to hear Sideshow is considering the durability and longevity of their products. If anything, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Back