Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just struck me. Why would they changed C-3PO footprint since this was already immortalized outside the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood?

View attachment 253576

Props - C-3PO's Feet, Chinese Theatre

These 3PO feet were sculpted by Rick Baker specifically for the Chinese Theater ceremony. The bottom of his feet were just normal shoes prior to that so they had to make them special somehow prior to being immortalized in concrete.

Sean

These 3PO feet were sculpted by Rick Baker specifically for the Chinese Theater ceremony. The bottom of his feet were just normal shoes prior to that so they had to make them special somehow prior to being immortalized in concrete.

Sean

NERD!
[neat info there]

NERD!
[neat info there]

:) I actually learned that from Baker's himself at the time and I saw the feet he made. The year the film came out we took a family trip to CA. We were really young kids but my older brother got to visit Baker on this trip, he was a kid at the time too, but wanted to get into makeup effects eventually and had written letters to him (he ended up working for Baker on his most well known projects- Werewolf, Thriller, etc). I took this photo at Baker's house during that trip. I barely remember the trip, I was pretty young, but I remember Baker's house and seeing all the cantina creatures he had and 3POs feet. Cool stuff:

cantina-band_1.jpg

Sean

I have a odd question.

As requested by Sideshow, I destroyed the left damaged arm, the same day I received the replacement arm, and then sent Sideshow a picture of the left in pieces.
But still haven't received a reply as of last week

Ok, is it wrong if I am able to repair the broken in pieces left original to its original state?

I want to, but ethically I'm not sure if its wrong or right. I mean, I did destroy the arm as requested but they never said anything what I do with the broken arm afterwards.

what do you guys think I should do?

I have a odd question.

As requested by Sideshow, I destroyed the left damaged arm, the same day I received the replacement arm, and then sent Sideshow a picture of the left in pieces.
But still haven't received a reply as of last week

Ok, is it wrong if I am able to repair the broken in pieces left original to its original state?

I want to, but ethically I'm not sure if its wrong or right. I mean, I did destroy the arm as requested but they never said anything what I do with the broken arm afterwards.

what do you guys think I should do?

As you said, you destroyed it per Sideshow's guidelines. Once an item you're having replaced is destroyed I would think you'd be free to do with it whatever you choose.

I'm curious if you're able to repair it to it's original state, why get a replacement in the first place? Couldn't you have just repaired the original and save yourself the hassle of getting a replacement?

As you said, you destroyed it per Sideshow's guidelines. Once an item you're having replaced is destroyed I would think you'd be free to do with it whatever you choose.

I'm curious if you're able to repair it to it's original state, why get a replacement in the first place? Couldn't you have just repaired the original and save yourself the hassle of getting a replacement?

when I received my C3po the left outer piston on the left arm arrived broken. I tired to repair it but wasn't to, basically impossible,, so , contacted Sideshow and they were gracious enough to send a whole left arm minus the hand even though I told them I only needed the bicep arm with piston attached.

As requested they told me to destroy the whole original arm with the broken piston, so, now just wondering if its ok to repair the arm back to its original state.

when I received my C3po the left outer piston on the left arm arrived broken. I tired to repair it but wasn't to, basically impossible,, so , contacted Sideshow and they were gracious enough to send a whole left arm minus the hand even though I told them I only needed the bicep arm with piston attached.

As requested they told me to destroy the whole original arm with the broken piston, so, now just wondering if its ok to repair the arm back to its original state.

The reason why SS want customers to destroy the items for which they are seeking replacement is so that customers can't exploit the replacement option by selling the original or replacement parts. If you're not doing that then go nuts on the repair and enjoy.

oh no, not for resell and I understand Sideshow's position in destroying parts for that very reason.

But I should had mentioned I want to use the left destroyed arm to be repainted red for TFA C3PO.
And being into customizing 1/6 scale figures I just find it a waist throwing away any good parts when I can reuse for kitbashing.

I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this

That's not why they do it. It's a legal matter. When sideshow or any company reports a loss in profits due to production errors or replacements the original must be destroyed for tax right off purposes. Think of it as insurance fraud. I claim something was stolen, report it, then get paid it's value, meanwhile the item is still in my possession. It's cheaper for the company/manufacturer to tell the retailer/buyer to destroy it than pay for return shipping and then destroy it themselves. They claim it a loss to offset the taxes paid on profits.

That's not why they do it. It's a legal matter. When sideshow or any company reports a loss in profits due to production errors or replacements the original must be destroyed for tax right off purposes. Think of it as insurance fraud. I claim something was stolen, report it, then get paid it's value, meanwhile the item is still in my possession. It's cheaper for the company/manufacturer to tell the retailer/buyer to destroy it than pay for return shipping and then destroy it themselves. They claim it a loss to offset the taxes paid on profits.

Cool. OP can stop fretting.

Hey guys. Just received Threepio from BBTS. Outer piston tabs are busted on BOTH arms right out f the box. The pieces are still in the box so I could try gluing them. I've already emailed Big Bad with pics to see how they'll handle the replacement. I'm hoping they can send two new arms instead of a whole new figure because I don't want to open up the new one with busted pistons again.

Anyone here needed to replace their Threepio through them?

Normally I'd just glue them and be done but the left arm also has a couple noticeable paint blemishes, with something trapped under the paint creating unsightly bumps.

I should hear something back within a day or two. Really hoping they can just send me arms.

It was interesting to note that at the Sideshow booth at Wondercon this weekend someone had done the mod of turning the thumbs in so they didn't look like fifth middle fingers before putting him on display. He looked pretty cool.

I also saw that the Tamashi Nation booth had their C3P0 for $375. I kind of wish I would have picked up one or the other at the con.

It was interesting to note that at the Sideshow booth at Wondercon this weekend someone had done the mod of turning the thumbs in so they didn't look like fifth middle fingers before putting him on display. He looked pretty cool.

I also saw that the Tamashi Nation booth had their C3P0 for $375. I kind of wish I would have picked up one or the other at the con.

So is SS advertising a modified production figure or has this fix been rolled out with newer batches? Either way it's bull for the guys that have purchased or are planning to purchase based on this show piece. You wouldn't happen to have pics would you?

I did not get pictures but I looked specifically at the hands to see if they looked weird in person and they looked ok. I am sure that this is not a fixed production run, someone just bent the thumbs around so they were positioned correctly.. still a little big for a thumb but it did not look like a flipper.

Back