Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3PO looks ok but the Tama looks better and is actually closer in scale to R2 et al. Too bad.

Do you think the SS 3PO is too short or too tall next to SS R2?

The workflow on R2-D2 was use 90% rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab (or torn kitchen sponge) to remove the factory grime layer and then oil paint and turpenoid washes to add oil and discoloration.

Thanks for this. I plan to do some re-weathering myself on this. For some reason having to paint and tweak an expensive figure like this doesn't seem as offensive to me as the need to do it on a human character. I don't buy figures where the sculpt needs a repaint for example. But, because the figure is a robot, and weathering something isn't nearly as intimidating as trying to repaint something to try and achieve a life like look, this feels more like a fun plastic model project where all the difficult work (except for weathering) has already been done really well.

So, my point is the bad weathering on this isn't a killer for this figure at all and won't take much to fix.

Very true, but my favourite HT figure is Jack Sparrow. None of these hold a candle to that one :)

Completely agree. I also think the new battle damaged t-800 is excellent.

Thanks for reposting. I thought yours came out best. I'm still yet to attack my R2 with the swab but I've saved your post for reference.

Link for your process please, I plan on doing something similar!

So, my point is the bad weathering on this isn't a killer for this figure at all and won't take much to fix.

Exactly...

200.gif

There is no escape...and I find you lack of faith disturbing.....

Noob question - could someone link me to the best 3P0 and R2 please?

I've no idea what Tama is and I've searched and searched. No idea who makes the R2.

Thank in advance.

Noob question - could someone link me to the best 3P0 and R2 please?

I've no idea what Tama is and I've searched and searched. No idea who makes the R2.

Thank in advance.

What Lejuan said. The Tama C3PO is one of the highest quality figures I have ever seen, but not perfect. "Issues" I am aware of are:

1) The eyes do not glow the proper color (bluish-white LED OOB), but that can be adjusted to film accurate yellow with colored plastic inserted behind the lens.
2) The arm pistons are a bit over-scaled (no fix for that).
3) The hands/fingers are not articulated, but you get different sets of hands for different poses.
4) The overall figure articulation is very limited...no action poses out of this guy.
5) The figure weighs so much that a shelf dive could be disastrous.

It may or may not be an issue for you, but there is absolutely no weathering on the finish...it is pristine gold/silver with a light oil applied over all metal surfaces as a protectant.

The SS C3PO appears to be a good start for a heavily weathered and very accessible action poser. The Tama C3PO is a 1/6 work of die cast art that is really only good for museum poses with a suitable R2, but it isn't like C3PO was anything other than rigidly postured throughout the saga. Just holding the Tama and looking over the detail and overall fidelity to the original, it is pretty amazing. Not my favorite character, but definitely one of my favorite 1/6 figures overall.

Since when are non articulated hands seen as a problem? That's nitpicking with that one...

That's why I put "issues" in scare quotes. Just a roundup of everything I am aware people complain about regarding the Tama 3PO.

What Lejuan said. The Tama C3PO is one of the highest quality figures I have ever seen, but not perfect. "Issues" I am aware of are:

1) The eyes do not glow the proper color (bluish-white LED OOB), but that can be adjusted to film accurate yellow with colored plastic inserted behind the lens.
2) The arm pistons are a bit over-scaled (no fix for that).
3) The hands/fingers are not articulated, but you get different sets of hands for different poses.
4) The overall figure articulation is very limited...no action poses out of this guy.
5) The figure weighs so much that a shelf dive could be disastrous.

It may or may not be an issue for you, but there is absolutely no weathering on the finish...it is pristine gold/silver with a light oil applied over all metal surfaces as a protectant.

The SS C3PO appears to be a good start for a heavily weathered and very accessible action poser. The Tama C3PO is a 1/6 work of die cast art that is really only good for museum poses with a suitable R2, but it isn't like C3PO was anything other than rigidly postured throughout the saga. Just holding the Tama and looking over the detail and overall fidelity to the original, it is pretty amazing. Not my favorite character, but definitely one of my favorite 1/6 figures overall.

As an owner of the Tama, these aren't really the issues - other than oversized pistons obviously.

The very accurate depiction of the design of 3PO itself limits the articulation, so that's not really an issue. There's been a couple of members whose Tama has fallen and it was undamaged - the SSC 3PO however will break disastrously if it falls. I don't think anyone would have even thought of finger articulation if SSC didn't do it. The eye color fix is so simple it's not really worth mentioning.

The fragility of the wires is an issue to me when articulating the waist, and the way the eyes are turned on (by removing faceplate with ultra strong magnet) is the other issue that makes you never want to turn them on.

Really would love to see some more pictures, but pretty sure I know what I'm getting at this point.

This will be charging Wednesday. Really hope to have this in hand by Thursday or Friday this week. :yess:

Then its only Leia... and I'm free! FREE!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!

Really would love to see some more pictures, but pretty sure I know what I'm getting at this point.

This will be charging Wednesday. Really hope to have this in hand by Thursday or Friday this week. :yess:

Yep. Free. Uh-huh.:lol

Is this something to do with next month being exactly a decade for you at Freaks?:dunno

No Gandalf the Grey then Wor-Gar?:stick

Good lord, a decade. That's frightening.

Enablers!

:lol After the OT cast, Gandalf was going to be my last figure EVAH.

...but then ACI/Chronicle Collectibles announced they'd picked up the Vikings license. I wonder if that'll change things for me...

Back