Sideshow 1/6 Beetlejuice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope no one PO this figure and SS chokes on it, so that they'll have to lower the price or include a second sculpt as some kind of incentive.

Chances are, if that really happens then they might lower the edition number on these and these will become quite rare and coveted. Pretty sure the tones of the posts then would be somewhere along the line of " I placed my waitlist a week ago and it just got converted :yess:", "so glad I placed my order when it was still available / on the first day" or "hopefully my waitlistget converted :panic:" :lol

Chances are, if that really happens then they might lower the edition number on these and these will become quite rare and coveted. Pretty sure the tones of the posts then would be somewhere along the line of " I placed my waitlist a week ago and it just got converted :yess:", "so glad I placed my order when it was still available / on the first day" or "hopefully my waitlistget converted :panic:" :lol

Especially since he's the only official licensed figure of the character.

Wha? If people fundamentally dislike the sculpt they're not going to buy it just because it is rare. Faramir didn't become a "coveted" LotR figure. The only compelling reason to buy this is it might be the cheapest route to a custom by using the clothing.

Besides there is no edition number any more. Sideshow pretty much straight up re-released Vader and Boba Fett.

I see life size halloween lawn/prop decor, well made, cheaper than that for a tombstone! At that price, they will be selling those tombstones well into their afterlife....!

That's almost a hundred less than BJ and he comes with second coat and a bunch of detailed accessories....you **** up SS!

To be fair, I don't think that company pays any licensing fees yet they benefit from the properties they are trying to imitate. Having said that it still doesn't excuse Sideshow for trying to sell sub-par 1/6 products at higher prices than everyone else, even Hot Toys.

I paid $137 shipped for ALLof this.

Really puts it into perspective.

If you want perspective, you should know that DAM doesn't pay license fees, doesn't pay a customer service staff, doesn't pay a warehouse staff, doesn't have a team of sculptors. . . all things that Sideshow does.

There are a number of costs that are incorporated into SSC's sticker price that DAM/VTS doesn't have to pay.

Having said all that, I don't feel that the Beetlejuice figure is worth $240, but comparing the Weapon Advisor to Beetlejuice is apples to donkey carts.

If the figure came with the tombstone I would have forgiven the sculpt at $240 and purchased; maybe.
Easily. If the tombstone was included with the figure for $240 or so it would be worth purchasing. Still not a great sculpt but at least the figure would come with more to justify the price. As is $240 for a barebones figure that doesn't look great is ridiculous. Selling the tombstone separately for another $125 is an insult.

Whatever. You all know more than me.... :lol

My point was in response to the comment about the tombstone. Not the figure. My point was that whole figure is just a few bucks more than a tombstone. That SSC charging that much for a tombstone is ludicrous.

Wha? If people fundamentally dislike the sculpt they're not going to buy it just because it is rare. Faramir didn't become a "coveted" LotR figure. The only compelling reason to buy this is it might be the cheapest route to a custom by using the clothing.

Besides there is no edition number any more. Sideshow pretty much straight up re-released Vader and Boba Fett.

Most people here would get this if it was priced lower, say 170-180. Sculpt is acceptable, I'd say. Since it'd be almost impossible to give this head a rooted hair version while keeping the price low. I guess SS's competition this time around is with the custom figures that'd be close to 500-600 price range.

If you want perspective, you should know that DAM doesn't pay license fees, doesn't pay a customer service staff, doesn't pay a warehouse staff, doesn't have a team of sculptors. . . all things that Sideshow does.

There are a number of costs that are incorporated into SSC's sticker price that DAM/VTS doesn't have to pay.

Having said all that, I don't feel that the Beetlejuice figure is worth $240, but comparing the Weapon Advisor to Beetlejuice is apples to donkey carts.

What if the donkey cart is hauling the apples?

I guess SS's competition this time around is with the custom figures that'd be close to 500-600 price range.

Yeah, and the average consumer doesn't care about custom figures, nor do they buy them. Usually the ones buying and making the custom figures are bit more serious about collecting than the average person who doesn't spend time in figure forums and doing the research.

In the grand scheme of things, what percentage of people are collecting these high end dolls? There is a reason these are not on Walmart or target store shelves. You would think they would listen to feedback if it is overwhelmingly negative. I know you can't please everyone, but this figure was not loved by a good high percentage of people when shown at sdcc, and the same seems to be the case. Too bad, my oldest daughter is a huge beetlejuice fan as my wife, and they could not believe the price, head sculpt, and major lack of accessories. They also could not believe the freaking tombstone was not included. They would have been more forgiving as I if Sideshow included the tombstone. Big huge mistake selling it separately imo. No excuse.

And this isn't a major character either, compared other figures Sideshow makes. A bad Green Lantern will still be bought because people want to have the full Justice League. Beetlejuice has o sell himself and while the movie is great and a classic it's not an essential character to own for me and likely many other people at this price and with the problematic sculpt. I don't see how this won't be a figure that is constantly discounted, like the Man of Steel figures and what not.

Yeah, and the average consumer doesn't care about custom figures, nor do they buy them. Usually the ones buying and making the custom figures are bit more serious about collecting than the average person who doesn't spend time in figure forums and doing the research.

To counter that, you could say the average figure collector won't be interested in a 1/6 Beetlejuice. It's more the type of figure a hardcore collector would pick up as he's not a really popular character. And these type of collectors are more fussy about things being movie accurate. This figure to us type of collectors looks average at best, and to the casual collector they won't spend that amount or have any interest. So this won't be easy to sell out.

Last edited:
What is the base made out of? I don't see it on their site. It does weigh 2 pounds. I remember when SS made the Ark it was insisted that polystone made it a higher quality item; catching all the fine detail.:monkey3 In the end, Hasbro made a plastic one that is far superior and it's plastic.
I know market prices are where they are, but I too don't see BJ being worth $258 (sans shipping) much less the base at $135 (sans shipping).

To counter that, you could say the average figure collector won't be interested in a 1/6 Beetlejuice. It's more the type of figure a hardcore collector would pick up as he's not a really popular character. And these type of collectors are more fussy about things being movie accurate. This figure to us type of collectors looks average at best, and to the casual collector they won't spend that amount or have any interest. So this won't be easy to sell out.

Are you kidding...BJ is still pretty popular because a generation of kids grewup watching the film. In fact, I see the movie playing on the Disney channel all the time. The first thing people ask Keaton is, when is BJ2 coming out :lol I think he's pretty popular in the mainstream. If you google SS BJ, you'll see movie news websites like Joblo and Collider talking about the figure, so I do think there's market for it.

I think the figure will sellout even with the ridiculous price tag. It might take a while, but it'll sell out just like the Snake Plissken sold out on the SS website or the 1/6 Joker too...and now that figure is pretty expensive. To be fair, the joker is a nice looking figure and it comes with a lot of accessories.

I made a few small adjustments with the eyebrows that I really hope sideshow can look into, as the sculpt needs a few small minor tweaks, the top head needs to be more oval and less round, and paint rework on the eyes and around the eyes only needs to be redone.

Maybe if we all start sending this change to sideshow they might listen to the fans that really want this figure on their shelves.

Attachments

• beetlejuice 2.jpg
    beetlejuice 2.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 139
  • beetlejuice 3.jpg
    beetlejuice 3.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yeah, a more "angry" look is better. Keaton had those arched eyebrows back then and the make up only enhanced that giving him that angry/evil look most of the time. I would get rid of some of the wrinkles on his forehead too because they don't go with the new eye/eyebrow adjustment. The wrinkles match the surprised look on the original sculpt, but not the angry look he has now. Overall, that looks pretty good. Good job :D

It's too bad that SS doesn't take constructive criticism.

Back