Sideshow 1/6 Beetlejuice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other side is that of perceived value, or what you get for the price. With a premium price, premium quality is expected, even demanded by the customer. Take my previous example of Big Chiefs 1st Doctor. While there may be some issues where he doesn't match up with a top of the line Hot Toys figure, he includes a ton of accessories and clothing, everything you could ask for really, and the perceived value is pretty good. With this Sideshow BJ, the expression, included accessories, expensive add on accessory and SSs iffy production paint aps in the past... the perceived value here for $240+ is in the crapper. It may be the worst value of any 1/6 figure to date, I can't think of any worse offenders. I love this character but there's just too much other 1/6 product that's a much better value (and better quality) competing for our money.

Last edited:
Even if the head looked more like Keaton's Beetlejuice and less like a bad cosplay... There is just no justifying that price.

Never thought I'd say it for one of my favorite film characters of all-time... But this is an easy pass.

Sallah

Re: 1/6 SSC Beetlejuice figure

Tough pass for me as this is one of my all time favorite movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was waiting for this with the custom being so rare, but the price is ridiculous. Had it been priced at $180, a group commissioned sculpt would have tacked on another $70, but still at the mid $200 range. At $240 though, a commissioned sculpt would put you over $300.. nah, not for me.

The SSC sculpt "as is" really is too far off for me to even consider it. I just took it into Photoshop to tinker around with it, and there are definitely major issues with the eyes (not just the brows). The eyes are far too small on the original, too close together, and they painted the iris/pupil too large (needs more eye white).

While I was in Photoshop, I threw some actual hair on him to see what the sculpt would look like with my revisions + hair, and in my humble opinion it looks a lot better (even though it still looks pretty far off). The sculpted hair looks REALLY terrible and his current expression just does not fit the character.

Beetlejuice.jpg
Beetlejuice2.jpg

Last edited:
The SSC sculpt "as is" really is too far off for me to even consider it. I just took it into Photoshop to tinker around with it, and there are definitely major issues with the eyes (not just the brows). The eyes are far too small on the original, too close together, and they painted the iris/pupil too large (needs more eye white).

While I was in Photoshop, I threw some actual hair on him to see what the sculpt would look like with my revisions + hair, and in my humble opinion it looks a lot better (even though it still looks pretty far off). The sculpted hair looks REALLY terrible and his current expression just does not fit the character.

View attachment 240514

If it looked like this, I'd have pre-ordered it day 1. It's hard to believe that someone at Sideshow okayed the prototype they've been showing to be solicited in the first place.

If it looked like this, I'd have pre-ordered it day 1. It's hard to believe that someone at Sideshow okayed the prototype they've been showing to be solicited in the first place.

Completely agree. They really need to beef up their level of quality. As it stands, the current Beetlejuice sculpt they have looks more like Paul Giamatti than it does Keaton...lol

To be quite frank, I see their Ash heading in the same direction :( I hope they do something about the sculpt issues and that they are swayed to go the direction of actual hair. Hot Toys did a tremendous job with the hairing on Chewie, there is no reason Sideshow shouldn't be taking pointers and following suit.

I might just buy the headstone to represent Beetlejuice in my display. If anyone asks where the figure is, I'll just say, "read the headstone".

You'll be better off making it yourself or commission someone than getting that $125 piece of plastic. We shouldn't order nothing from this license unless they address the sculpt problem. I have seen other companies bieng very open on facebook asking for feedback and tweaking the sculpt.

You'll be better off making it yourself or commission someone than getting that $125 piece of plastic. We shouldn't order nothing from this license unless they address the sculpt problem. I have seen other companies being very open on facebook asking for feedback and tweaking the sculpt.

This is true! Case in point: Hollywood Collectible Group had Trever Grove re-sculpt the Ghostbusters Bill Murray head because the original sculpts likeness was very poor. With the new TG head sculpt, the piece sold out. If they had stuck with the original head, that statue would still be in stock.

View attachment 240514
View attachment 240517

If that was what we were getting, I'd probably get this for sure. How they could do Beetlejuice with sculpted hair is nuts. When I look at my NECA one and compare it, there is absolutely no reason to get this in addition....at this price. Even though this is my favorite movie of all time.

The likeness looks good to me. The price is absolutely ridiculous though.

Anyone buying?????
....might be a huge flop for SS.

Bad Bad sculpt....Pay for the headstone? A nail file???? Someone is gotten greedy beyond the art.....

giphy.gif

Thanks for the attempted rip off ......

giphy.gif

I remember last year that ACI toys was asking for feedback on a Aragon they were doing and the sculpt was bad and they tweaked like three times.

Reading these forums make me feel like a traitor. I have been wanting a beetlejuice figure ever since I started collecting. I have been ecstatic ever since the announcement that they would finally be making a 1/6 scale beetlejuice. I'm an 80's kid and Beetlejuice in my top 10 fav movies of all time. I'm disappointed with myself for letting my fandom take over. Got home from a hard day at work a few days ago, saw it was available for preorder and I grabbed it and the tombstone. I really do hope they take note of all the cries for a resculpt. And there are plenty of accessories they could throw in. Snakes, shrimp hand, sculptures, snakes to attach to his head, etc. I hope Sideshow comes thru. I really want to see the Cult Classics line thrive. So,many other characters I'd like such a Sloth from Goonies and Bill & Ted. Also,a better Edward Scissorhands. Please,Sideshow, I'm pulling for you. Do the right thing.

Back