Show Your Entire Iron Man & Avengers Collection!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving on from 1/6 and slowly selling off all my figures. These are the 5 armors that I have multiples of and have decided to hold onto 1 of each to display in my personal collection. They all have a special meaning to me and are difficult to let go...
Are you entirely giving up the collecting hobby or only 1/6? And may I ask why?
Brilliant photos by the way.

Fantastic photos becausebatman!! :clap :rock

Thank you! :hi5:

Are you entirely giving up the collecting hobby or only 1/6? And may I ask why?
Brilliant photos by the way.

Thank you for the kind words!

I've collected only 1/6 for quite some time now and I truly enjoyed the hobby --- everything from making my first pre-order with Sideshow, tracking down rare & sold-out figures, hunting for good deals, panicking when an email notification would come in for an exclusive and being able to lock in a pre-order before it went into wait-list, getting scammed on eBay, trading with friends, selling off figures and losing money, breaking even, or making a profit, kit-bashing and making customs, and continuously curating and improving my collection and display set-up. It was all a really great journey and these figures brought alot of joy.

Back in 2018, I stumbled across some prototype photos and videos of statues manufactured by XM Studios and some other companies. I was completely blown away and although I did not want to admit it at the time, the scale, quality, and artistic representations of some of my most beloved characters was better achieved through 1/4 and in statue-format. I was in complete awe of the prototype White Magneto and looking back, no other 1/6 figure announcement or reveal has ever made me feel the same way...

18739233_1874678019419555_2014066761098761644_o.jpg

Fast forward to February 2020 -- I woke up one morning and realized I just didn't enjoy these figures anymore. I was living in denial for nearly 2 years and the time had finally come lol. I put everything up for sale on the forums and online marketplaces and I've sold off nearly 2/5 of my 1/6 collection so far. Meanwhile, I never forgot about the one piece that served as the initial catalyst of this transition and I was finally able to obtain him around 2 weeks ago...

Made of cold-cast porcelain and limited to 999 pcs worldwide

20200222_221306_HDR.jpg

Next was Dark Phoenix

20200217_091202_HDR.jpg

dsfsfsdf.jpg

As much as I loved the new live-action movies and their respective figures, the comic versions of these characters as 1/4 statues speak far more to me. Hope this explains! :wink1:

Some of you guys may be reading this now and think that the transition to 1/4 or statues may never happen to you, but I believe its actually quite common and happens far more often than you think. Perhaps this very post has planted a seed inside you already, and it will slowly grow as time passes :rotfl Sideshow understands, after all.

asdfsdf.JPG

Happy collecting everyone~

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, it totally makes sense.

Also thank you for those photos, they are powerful and speak to reaction you described.

I hope that you are able to acquire all of the pieces you seek.

Did you get that Mags on ebay, becausebatman? Saw a great deal and took me too long to pull the trigger and when I decided to get it, it was gone. Incredible looking pieces with lots of switchouts and top notch paint and details. No figure will come close for shelf presence. Over the last five years or so, statues seem to be getting much better and more detailed, with really dynamic poses. XM is probably the best company, but unfortunately they don't have a license to sell in the US so you have to pay a lot to have them shipped here.

Thanos on Throne was my first 1/4 statue. Thought it'd be a one off, boy was I wrong. Same deal 6 years ago when I got my first Hot Toys.

IMG_0233 (2).jpg

Did you get that Mags on ebay, becausebatman? Saw a great deal and took me too long to pull the trigger and when I decided to get it, it was gone. Incredible looking pieces with lots of switchouts and top notch paint and details. No figure will come close for shelf presence. Over the last five years or so, statues seem to be getting much better and more detailed, with really dynamic poses. XM is probably the best company, but unfortunately they don't have a license to sell in the US so you have to pay a lot to have them shipped here.

Thanos on Throne was my first 1/4 statue. Thought it'd be a one off, boy was I wrong. Same deal 6 years ago when I got my first Hot Toys.

View attachment 479650

I LOVE that statue!!!

It is amazing and seems like it would make an incredible impression in person.

@becausebatman, thank you for sharing your perspective. We all have our preferences and our own vision on how, what to collect; it's simply amazing we have so much to choose from. I myself am allured to articulated figures, from 1/12 to 1/4 scale across many properties, though I'm oxymoronic in that I tend to not utilize them and keep a good portion MIP. Those statues look to be incredible pieces, it's awesome to read how you came to appreciate them.

Though for me, I'm not a statue collector, but I am eying a statue I'm keen on therefore your last statement may have affected me :lol

I've never been impressed with the final paintwork on most statues and the bases are usually way to busy and big, but the scale is nice for a 'less is more' collection. The HT 1/4 Iron Man line is something to behold, engineering wise. If they did more Marvel in that scale I'd be all in.

Sideshow in particular use to have terrible paint quality on production pieces. Lately, they've been getting a bit better. XM used to be nice, but bland. But the latst pieces are even better than Hot Toys. I've heard Prime 1 is good, but I don't have any of their pieces yet.

@becausebatman: Thank you for this comprehensive explanation and for sharing your views in this. Always very interesting to learn about other collector‘s journeys. Much appreciated.

Happy collecting everyone~

Ah so you’re still a beginner then.

I moved over to statues some years ago into Premium Formats, while still even now collecting Hot Toys for DCEU and MCU.

But I advise that this could still only be the the beginning of your journey, as after 1/4 scale you’ll be moving to 1/3 scale, especially if you’re a fan of DC. And after that you might bounce back to movie pieces across various statue scales, including 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 scale pieces. And have you seen those life size busts from Queen Studios and Infinity Studios? Now those two company’s are the epitome of quality pieces!

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, it totally makes sense.

Also thank you for those photos, they are powerful and speak to reaction you described.

I hope that you are able to acquire all of the pieces you seek.

Very welcome! I thought my post would be too long at first, but I'm happy some of you enjoyed reading about my experience. And thank you for the kind wishes -- I, too, hope that you will be able to acquire all the pieces which you currently and will seek. Cheers :duff

View attachment 479650

Yep! I was actually waiting on a reply from a few distributors but I stumbled across a good deal on eBay. Brand new and factory sealed. The seller had 100% with a ton of transactions so I felt confident enough to pull the trigger. It took a while for it to be shipped and I went into a bit of a panic, but luckily things turned out very well.

The switch-outs are amazing and funny enough I haven't swapped anything since I first set it up. Someone mentioned on youtube that there are so many different switch-out combos that the piece can be displayed in over 20 'different ways'. It definitely is my current center piece. Thinking about the Hulkbuster / Iron Man set, however I'm holding out until a find an acceptable price. It would be ideal to find one local in my State, but I'm not counting on it any time soon.

I love Thanos on Throne! What an amazing piece :clap I still need to obtain a Throne piece but I have prayers that a God Emperor Doom will be done... one day lol. I may even write to XM and beg them :lol

doom 1.JPG

@becausebatman, thank you for sharing your perspective. We all have our preferences and our own vision on how, what to collect; it's simply amazing we have so much to choose from. I myself am allured to articulated figures, from 1/12 to 1/4 scale across many properties, though I'm oxymoronic in that I tend to not utilize them and keep a good portion MIP. Those statues look to be incredible pieces, it's awesome to read how you came to appreciate them.

Though for me, I'm not a statue collector, but I am eying a statue I'm keen on therefore your last statement may have affected me :lol

Cheers my friend! This hobby is amazing because everyone has their own tastes but yet we are still able to come together and discuss and share with one another. Which statue do you have in mind?? I am very curious to know!

I've never been impressed with the final paintwork on most statues and the bases are usually way to busy and big, but the scale is nice for a 'less is more' collection. The HT 1/4 Iron Man line is something to behold, engineering wise. If they did more Marvel in that scale I'd be all in.

Yes, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, final production pieces are not always similar to the initial prototype photos. However, alot of the companies have improved drastically over the years. I don't know if you have seen some of these pieces in-person, but photos truly do not do them justice. Many of them look much better in real life, in my opinion.

Funny enough White Mags is the 'last of his generation' in regards to extremely large bases. I believe many collectors were complaining about the footprint size along with the very high shipping costs. I think around 8+ Hot Toys boxes will fit inside the box that Mag came in :slap

I am going to miss these kinds of bases however, specifically from XM. I believe they tell a story and add to the dynamic pose. Seeing the pieces of metal plates, beams, rebar, tank tracks, wheels, turrets, etc. all being twisted around and being manipulated by Magneto really does it for me. There are also pieces of broken down guns and weapons in the spherical constructs that are floating in his hands, which adds to the overall look and feel.

The 1/4 Mark 42 and 43 are truly awesome pieces --- the proportions are far more accurate versus their 1/6 counterparts and I was very close to picking up the 43 to be honest. I've recently settled with XM's "Iron Man Classic" however. It's a much 'older' look, but I've come to really admire it. I love how you can see Tony's piercing blue eyes through the holes of the face plate under the correct lighting.

s-l1600.jpg

imclassic03.jpg

Sideshow in particular use to have terrible paint quality on production pieces. Lately, they've been getting a bit better. XM used to be nice, but bland. But the latst pieces are even better than Hot Toys. I've heard Prime 1 is good, but I don't have any of their pieces yet.

Yep! Speaking of which, the new X-Men lineup from sideshow is amazing! The Jean Grey portrait is really beautiful and they have definitely improved, as you said. Prime 1 is very high quality and I've been eyeing some of their Batman-related 1/3 pieces, but I think I will stick with 1/4 for the time being. I really do wish a few of their 1/3 pieces were also done in 1/4 however. Guess we can't have everything though lol.

@becausebatman: Thank you for this comprehensive explanation and for sharing your views in this. Always very interesting to learn about other collector?s journeys. Much appreciated.

Very welcome and I'm happy you enjoyed reading about it! Cheers!

Ah so you’re still a beginner then.

I moved over to statues some years ago into Premium Formats, while still even now collecting Hot Toys for DCEU and MCU.

But I advise that this could still only be the the beginning of your journey, as after 1/4 scale you’ll be moving to 1/3 scale, especially if you’re a fan of DC. And after that you might bounce back to movie pieces across various statue scales, including 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 scale pieces. And have you seen those life size busts from Queen Studios and Infinity Studios? Now those two company’s are the epitome of quality pieces!

LOL yeah, I'm still Daniel-san and you are Mr. Miyagi in this case. You... could be very correct :rotfl Those Wonder Woman busts are insane and I've been thinking about them for some time now. Let's see how far this rabbit hole goes.

LOL yeah, I'm still Daniel-san and you are Mr. Miyagi in this case. You... could be very correct :rotfl Those Wonder Woman busts are insane and I've been thinking about them for some time now. Let's see how far this rabbit hole goes.

Yep I really wanted those WW busts too, but in the end I decided to go with Queen Studios 1/2 scale Aquaman instead to go along with my Prime 1 1/2 scale Trinity set.

Cheers my friend! This hobby is amazing because everyone has their own tastes but yet we are still able to come together and discuss and share with one another. Which statue do you have in mind?? I am very curious to know!

Cheers and very much agreed! :hi5:

I'm eyeing the upcoming SS Avengers Assemble Captain Marvel:

ZTrUVPo.jpg

CM has become one of my favorite comic characters (film too) and there seems to be hardly and comic-based action figures of her, so I'm heavily tempted to acquire a statue to have a comic representation in my collection.

If a statue of this cover were to be made, I'd - :thud: :thud:

5lwiMLN.jpg

AWESOME, expensive month!!! Despite what gmoney5000 says :pfft:,one of my favorite Mk's to date is the Mk L, have you thought about picking it up?

I have been thinning my collection and the 50 and the DC 7 are the only armors I've kept.

Haha I may dislike the L, entirely due to the figure's flaw...I actually like the movie representation, but do not let MY opinion detract from YOUR enjoyment (which I don't think it is haha)! :hi5:

Back