Should Yoda be replaced by a CGI version in the OT?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say it was Yoda they were showing. I said that they showed Frank Oz some finished CG from the movie (I think it was Jar Jar), and he said why they would need a puppeteer working for them, if they were able to create realistic CG characters.

Ok, I misunderstood you. However, Lucas was right from a certain point of view, Frank Oz´s voice is a 50% of Yoda´s characterization.

My sentiments are essentially the same as everyone else has expressed. No.

BTW It's always bothered me that Yoda is a different shade of green between the PT and ESB. I think Sideshow's bust does a good job of being in between the two.

NO.

But, there are rumors that George Lucas intended Yoda to be running, flipping and doing the exercises with Luke while he was training in the swamps of Dagobah but the technology didn't exist to do it back in 1979. Plus it would have cost too much if you consider it would had to have been Jim Henson Productions doing the special effects and probably Jim Henson directing the scenes.
I have thought about this for a long time and to tell you the truth the scene in my imagination will always be better than what Lucas could do on film. It could never live up to my expectations and my imagination. That isn't Lucas' fault; that's just the way it is.

Last edited:
...I have thought about this for a long time and to tell you the truth the scene in my imagination will always be better than what Lucas could do on film. It could never live up to my expectations and my imagination. That isn't Lucas' fault; that's just the way it is.

Rarely does reality live up to the magic of imagination.

Both Rick McCallum and George Lucas has fielded this question many times before... ever since the CG Yoda premiered in Episode II. They BOTH have stated firmly that Frank Oz's performance of Yoda in the original trilogy will NEVER be replaced with CGI. Never.

Next question.

NO. Absolutely not. CGI has taken all the true art and spectacle away from film making. The puppet with someone's hand up their butt, (as Lucas described the OT Yoda) is better than anything being produced today. That is why the new trilogy seems so sterile and weak. Really, the mere thought of Yoda being replaced with CGI almost makes me want to puke.

NO. Absolutely not. CGI has taken all the true art and spectacle away from film making. The puppet with someone's hand up their butt, (as Lucas described the OT Yoda) is better than anything being produced today. That is why the new trilogy seems so sterile and weak. Really, the mere thought of Yoda being replaced with CGI almost makes me want to puke.

true art? that's pretty harsh, cgi might not be well done on all the films but some are truely amazing. people that does cgi are artist too. besides, some of the old fx done back in 70, 80, and even 90' are laughable too. It all depends on the caliber of the people skills. as for yoda replace with cgi? I say leave old movie as they are.

This reminds me of that South park episode where they try to add new special effects to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Well CGI when used correctly can be amazing.. Like Davy Jones.

Personally, I'd love to see the OT redone with CG - Yoda, tauntauns, spaceslugs, jabba and all...

why?

Because I have the originals and I have the Special Edition and I enjoy them both. I'd probably also enjoy parts of the special special cgi edition and you cant have too much SW.

The OT originals are preserved forever. I could care less what 'new' editions come out - and at the same time, Ill see them all because SW is fun no matter how Lucassed the new versions are.

Sure CGI can bring an extra degree of realism but at what cost?

Actually, I have yet to find much of any CGI in Star Wars even remotely difficult to discern (as opposed to Pirates - an ILM job, or esp Gollum, King Kong and Narnia).

The Cantina scene in ANH still looks more realistic as far as creatures are concerned.

Maybe the Return of the Jedi Yoda, or maybe just some CGI work to fix his messed up eyes when he croaks.

Hayden is actually a really good actor... it was the directing of the actors that was bad. Just a note. Rent Life as a House and you will see. :cool:

I'll admit he was great in "Shattered Glass" as well, but a really good actor doesn't need the director. Harrison Ford got almost no direction from Ridley Scott in "Blade Runner".

It'll get done. Do I think it should be done? Absolutely not, move forward not loom in the past but in reality I think that it will be done and probably much much more. I have a feeling that looking at the Force Unleashed that we'll get color coded Stormtroopers as well.

Back