Should Sesame Street be discussing the topic of divorce?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Sesame Street by discussing topics about divorce?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says they shouldn't be teaching your children about life and then on the other hand is okay with doing it for their own children? And no one has said all households or children are the same. You are creating a fictional argument. :thwak

Obviously, the show is optional but when it positions itself under the guise as a children's show and then wants to talk about adult subjects in between the ABCs and 123s is where some people take exception. They shouldn't advertise they are one type of show and be a different one. That takes it out of the hands of parental responsibility and places it in the hands of network responsibility.

And how exactly do you know what children may or may not benefit from?

Sesame Street has always dealt with social issues like friendship, and getting along, and manners, ect. It has never been just about the 123s You are confusing Sesame Street with The Math Patrol.

Shouldn't parents be the ones teaching their children about the a b cs and the 1 2 3 s as well? I think so. Sesame Street is infringing upon parent's role in that department as well. Maybe My Friend Rabbit would be a better show if parents don't want children's shows teaching their children and doing their job for them.

As far as what children may or may not benefit from, different children have different needs. Some children don't need Sesame Street to teach them their a b cs or their 123s. Some do benefit.
Since some children could benefit from divorce guidance, it is important enough to include it. I believe that Sesame Street is responsible enough to broach the issue of divorce in an appropriate manner.

In fact, I think they would be BETTER at it than most parents, because they can consult with professionals who have more knowledge experience than the parents, and can present it in a concise and helpful manner, just like they can generally better present children's entertainment than most parents can. They are professionals at producing a quality children's show for decades. I trust Sesame Street to be more competent than most parents at dealing effectively with this topic, because professionals usually do it better than amateurs.

As long as the programming is optional, the fact that is is Sesame Street dealing with it gives me confidence. The only better show would be Mr. Rogers.

By the way, I don't know if anyone actually took the time read the article posted by the OP but there are two important details...

The third not insignificant detail included in the article but that you do not acknowledge in your post is that the producers rewrote the material that had such an adverse response from the initial test audience.

The third not insignificant detail included in the article but that you do not acknowledge in your post is that the producers rewrote the material that had such an adverse response from the initial test audience.

I presumed that would've been obvious to most but yes they did rewrite some of the material

But regardless it's all moot now since SS has acknowledged it is no longer appropriate for their show, so I couldn't care less about the argument. I'm satisfied.

I presumed that would've been obvious to most people capt. obvious, but, yes of course, they did rewrite some of the offending material :rolleyes2

Except that you completely ignored this 'obvious' point in declaring that Sesame Street was "trying to air it again". But they're not trying to air it again. They're making available on-line material that is completely different from what was first proposed. And not, as you suggest, partially rewritten material. Completely different material.

Captain Obvious is only too happy to clarify these details for Corporal Half-Arsed so that his arguments can be presented with some factual integrity.

Knowing it's an exclusively online video does change things. It doesn't seem likely that very small children are going to see this unless a grown-up shows them. I could see where a parent going through divorce might use it as a tool for their small children. It doesn't seem like this is something they're just going to drop in an episode.

Except that you completely ignored this 'obvious' point in declaring that Sesame Street was "trying to air it again". But they're not trying to air it again. They're making available on-line material that is completely different from what was first proposed. And not, as you suggest, partially rewritten material. Completely different material.

Captain Obvious is only too happy to clarify these details for Corporal Half-Arsed so that his arguments can be presented with some factual integrity.

Seriously, what difference does it make other than you're trying to stir up something that is totally inconsequential to the OP's question. If they made something that made children cry, logic dictates they would change it up. I didn't realize it had to be spelled out for some.

Bottom line is, as predicted by a few here, it only would hurt more than help, SS acknowledged it, they re-did the entire campaign (happy now, a__clown?) and put it in a place where parents can choose to watch it as opposed to having it aired on their regular show which is all some of us ever wanted.

Well this thread has been good fun and all, but the arguments have been made, and the name-calling won't stop I guess, so this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back