SDCC in the current economy...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

automaton

Super Freak
Reaction score
i have noticed that hotels have increased their rates to a greater extent during the 4 day comic con this year (granted, tourism has probably slowed down and they want to capitalize on a sure thing)... ticket sales have proven that the SDCC is still able to reel us fanboys in, but how much money will it take from us once we are inside the convention hall?

are attendees generally expecting dealers to have tempting prices straight out of the gate, or with these tightening times, expecting dealers to capitalize?

in my eyes, it is all about the journey... i can go to the con and spend next to nothing and come away fulfilled...

what about you? should dealers expect cash to flow as it has in previous years, or are new spending habits about to be implemented?

I am not going to spend money but more for the experience and the meeting of Boardies from several Boards, mainly because it's such a hassle to bring back ^^^^. Not sure what other people might think about this but as far as I have seen spending habits have not changed that much for collectors.

When I went to SDCC in the early & mid 90's, hotels increased their rates just like they are doing now. For me that's nothing new.

If you booked for the following year you received a very nice discount on your room rate. :D

There was a news report on my local news this morning talking about the collectibles hobby and that collector's spending habits haven't changed or actually increased.

People want to feel good nowadays...collectibles, whatever it is one collects, make people feel good/happy.

This is the first time in five years I will not be attending SDCC. For the most part it is mainly due to the economy, trying to cut expenses, and just trying to save more. Even though it does not come close to experiencing the con in person, I will enjoy the coverage here on the boards, and through SSC's site which in recent years has become almost like being there.

I'll be saving a few hundred bucks, even before I walk in the convention hall which I can put towards SSC exclusives.:monkey5 Heck, most non-attendee SDCC Exclusives get to people days before SDCC even opens it's doors.

I go to the Con every year, but that is only because it is a two hour drive and $10 parking for the day (I only go on Thursday or Sunday) so I can help you with hotel info.

Personally, I have never really seen the vendors dropping prices enough to entice me to buy bigger ticket items; even when I try haggling with them. My wife bought a ton of Inuyasha stuff a few years ago and we always pick up a toy or two for our sons, one vendor sold me two Revoltech Transformers for $30, but those were only on a whim and not the norm.

I think the era of getting good deals at Con have been over for a while. Most vendors I speak to on an annual basis don't worry about selling all their wares at SDCC because they know they can sell it on ebay if it doesn't sell at the show. Hell most of them are there specifically to cash in on exclusives. The vendors that do mark stuff down, mark down their clearance junk that they don't want anymore. So don't expect to get a "good deal" on that Stealth Iron Man Maquette on Sunday.

On a personal note, I am going to con and plan on spending the same amount I do every year. I will get all the Ex. I want and pick up a few things here and there. But I've never blown cash like it's out of style at con either. It's all about planning and self control fellas, which I understand is hard in a Con setting because I've seen people get in lines just because there was a line and not because they knew what they were getting. There's alot of impulse buys that you have to cautious with.

I was hoping to make it this year too, but with money being as tight as it has been this year... it's not in the cards.

It's not only the money, but the sheer amount of stuff coming from various companies that has been hard to ignore. Combined together, it's made this year impossible.

Honestly though, after last year... I need a rest. :lol

the first 3 days of Comic Con are sold out (there are a few tickets left for sunday)... this will be my fifth visit and from my experience, this is unprecedented... the economy certainly won't stand in the way of the collector! i am very interested to learn of the vendors mentality towards this... tickets, hotels, plane fares, taxis, food... my bet is the average collector has an alloted collectible budget and is happy just to be attending... its going to be a great july!

I know I'll be spending less on items at the show this year. Basically SS items and He-Ro that will cover it. I'm happy to be there for a 5th year and enjoy the show and seeing friends.

I wish I could go... but timing never seems to work out on this. Also the cost benefit analysis never works out in favor of attending :lol

This will be my second time around...
last year I bought my tickets in June, no problem...
this time around, I missed on Friday and Saturday, and I bought them 3 weeks ago!!!
I don't think the economy will affect ComicCon that much IMO...
Look forward to meet lots of Freaks this time around!!

Back