SDCC Anakin has light-up lightsaber?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Props to jedidefender for acting quickly and taking down that article.

And thanks to QQB for the tutorial on the light-up saber - they DO ignite!

Darklord Dave said:
Props to jedidefender for acting quickly and taking down that article.

Sorry about that. One of our reporters got a little confused with his Chinese and mis-interpreted QQB's post over at chinese-starwars.com as a real saber.

And to QQB, that saber is great!

Its funny, because I'm pretty much an idiot, but I think that even I could follow the directions to make that saber. Very cool, and not incredibly involved!

:chew Great job QQB! :chew​

If Im not mistaken, the tubes are the same ones you can find in the 'tuner' section at Murray's Auto Parts. Possibly Walmart too. Im gonna try it.
The tuner tubes come with the transformer and everything.
Anybody doing castings for the lightsabers? I'd like to keep my SS ones intact.
thx

If anyone is doing castings... let us know how much $$$$$ as well. This would definately be cool. (rubs hands together)

Yeah that would be the one issue, I would not be willing to destoy my lightsaber to make one... so we need some castings, or maybe some old Hasbro ones.

cool i just did a quick search and found the light kits. i will have to go into compusa to find the rest of the stuff, but this could be fairly inexpensive job. i just dont have any clue on where to find the "guinea pig" lightsabers.

Lights
and one more site that is cheaper.
Cheap Kits

Last edited:
Even if this thread was a bit ...misleading at first, it turned out to be one of the more valuable. Thx Batty for starting it, and thx QQB for showing us "how to do it". Now let me go and see if I can get my hands on these "parts" (thx hairlesswookiee for the link).

Edit: perhaps Darth Maul is the first SSC 12" that originally comes with an lightsaber "that does ignite"? How about it, SSC?

Last edited:
hairlesswookiee said:
cool i just did a quick search and found the light kits. i will have to go into compusa to find the rest of the stuff, but this could be fairly inexpensive job. i just dont have any clue on where to find the "guinea pig" lightsabers.

Lights
and one more site that is cheaper.
Cheap Kits

Awesome. You da man. And QQB also. :chew

Qestion: Is it safe to be near the clothing? Does it radiate alot of heat? :confused:

just remember to post pics if you come up with anything!!! im thinking the old hasbro lightsaber hilts might work for this mod. only problem is the only one i have is the Palpatine saber. i might have to take a trip up to toys r us to see what they have in stock.

student_toe5 said:
Awesome. You da man. And QQB also. :chew

Qestion: Is it safe to be near the clothing? Does it radiate alot of heat? :confused:

no i just used some of these in the computer i just built. they dont generate enough heat to do any damage. the cold cathode ray tubes are the best.

Jesseawilson said:
ECHEEEMMM.........
I already own all the beach front property in Arizona thank you very much.

I won some in a game of chance while you where drunk.:lol

QQB is using EL wire. It does not generate any perceptible heat. The key is, you must purchase High Brightness EL wire. Don't bother with the regular stuff.

Now, QQB, how did you find EL wire that comes in a stiff tube? :confused:

From the right angle, this looks beautiful. However, with my shelf display conditions, there would be no way for me to hide the wires and power source. But it really looks great in the pictures!

A visible power source really takes a backseat when you see the effect of EL wire in person.

Darklord Dave said:
That seems like irresponsible reporting. I like that website's tag line - "Bringing balance to the Force". Resonates with another news source that uses a similar tag line that is anything but...

It was my mistake for reporting that and I'd like to apologize to you guys for the misleading info. We pride ourselves on accuracy of news at JediDefender.com and sadly I didn't live up to that this time. Once the error was discovered, we pulled the news down in hopes of preventing the spread of incorrect info. Hopefully you won't hold it against us.

Back