SDCC 2019: Hot Toys & other companies news thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SDCC 2019: What are you hoping to see?

Excellent plan. Lure Howard in by telling him what he wants to hear but before he clicks out quickly tell him you really want Kyle Reese and Corporal Hicks.

Eh, the more I think about it, even if Hot Toys made what I wanted, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be any good.

Just some quick examples.

- Kyle Reese (looking at their recent figures, I doubt they'd pull off a good likeness to Michael Beihn. Most of their sculpts look so generic now, from Mark Hamil to Chris Evans)

- Returns Catwoman (constant reports of pleather, rubber and plastic rot on Red Skull, Hathaway Catwoman, Terminator jackets, etc. wouldn't bode well for a character in skin tight vinyl, not to mention she'd be a statue)

- Endoskleton (see goofy 1/4 figure and Genisys 1/6 Endos to see what a modern 84'/91' Endo in their hands would look like)

- Returns Penguin (they'll spend tooling on unique bodies for 3 differently scaled Thanos bodies and Justice League characters but would no doubt goof on Oswald Cobblepot. At the rate they're going, he'd probably be as tall as Batman)

Batman Forever or a new Bespin Luke or a new Arnold Terminator could be fun I guess, but they've already done so many Batman, Luke Skywalker and T-800 figures, each one being more boring than the last.

Hot Toys just doesn't impress me as much as they used to. I have their facebook and site open right now, going through their log of recent releases and they just don't appeal to me anymore. They pretty much stopped being innovative the second the DX line died.

I remember being gutted at the DX Bruce Lee reveal. I was hoping it would be Reeve Superman and even though we did get an amazing Reeve later on my memory of disappointment is still there. They were pretty fun back then too with clues and hints and teasers. Long gone.

I remember being gutted at the DX Bruce Lee reveal. I was hoping it would be Reeve Superman and even though we did get an amazing Reeve later on my memory of disappointment is still there. They were pretty fun back then too with clues and hints and teasers. Long gone.

Yeah, fun times. 2009-2011ish was like peak for a lot of this stuff.

Their teasers were actually creative and they followed through with them. The best SDCC for me was 2011. Remember when they revealed Star Wars Bespin Luke out of the blue, along with Nicholson Joker and the Batmobile. Never experienced as much hype for a product before. The build up that Reeve Superman was a blast. Sure, there were duds and disappointments like Indiana Jones, but for the most part, every month has something new and exciting. There was actually a variety that offered something for everyone then.

Now it's just glitzy red and gold stuff I don't care about.

Eh, the more I think about it, even if Hot Toys made what I wanted, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be any good.

- Kyle Reese (looking at their recent figures, I doubt they'd pull off a good likeness to Michael Beihn. Most of their sculpts look so generic now, from Mark Hamil to Chris Evans)

- Returns Catwoman (constant reports of pleather, rubber and plastic rot on Red Skull, Hathaway Catwoman, Terminator jackets, etc. wouldn't bode well for a character in skin tight vinyl, not to mention she'd be a statue)

- Endoskleton (see goofy 1/4 figure and Genisys 1/6 Endos to see what a modern 84'/91' Endo in their hands would look like)

- Returns Penguin (they'll spend tooling on unique bodies for 3 differently scaled Thanos bodies and Justice League characters but would no doubt goof on Oswald Cobblepot. At the rate they're going, he'd probably be as tall as Batman)

Batman Forever or a new Bespin Luke or a new Arnold Terminator could be fun I guess, but they've already done so many Batman, Luke Skywalker and T-800 figures, each one being more boring than the last.

Hot Toys just doesn't impress me as much as they used to. I have their facebook and site open right now, going through their log of recent releases and they just don't appeal to me anymore. They pretty much stopped being innovative the second the DX line died.

I agree with all of that (still would be excited for a Kilmer Bats though). What would be great is if DAM/VTS would pursue more film/video game/etc options. Their Universal Soldiers are great figures, their military stuff is high quality, their Assassins Creed figures seem to be well received. Also, for a generic military line, their sculpts are pretty damn nice. Compare the crispness of the hair sculpts and good proto-to-production consistency to HT. They certainly could do better in the likeness department, but I think if they focused on it and applied the same attention to detail of their military line, they’d be a force to be reckoned with and some real competition to HT.

Little hope for any of these:( but I'll steal some of the best ideas I have seen in the thread so far...

Kyle Reese/Sarah Connor
Wonka
Goonies
ET
Slave Leia
Doc Brown part 1
Karate Kid

Lando
Leia either Slave or Endor
Cassian Andor
Hot Toys Blade Runner would be cool

Yeah, fun times. 2009-2011ish was like peak for a lot of this stuff.

Their teasers were actually creative and they followed through with them. The best SDCC for me was 2011. Remember when they revealed Star Wars Bespin Luke out of the blue, along with Nicholson Joker and the Batmobile. Never experienced as much hype for a product before. The build up that Reeve Superman was a blast. Sure, there were duds and disappointments like Indiana Jones, but for the most part, every month has something new and exciting. There was actually a variety that offered something for everyone then.

Now it's just glitzy red and gold stuff I don't care about.

Nicholson and the Batmobile were a landmark moment. Iconic figures like those are rare now. I'm hoping they have Kilmer and perhaps even more than him from Forever at SDCC. I love the idea that he likely will be there since they showed that video of the costumes at HT and Val was recently approving something at Sideshow. Could have been a Sideshow Doc Holliday too and that's a win win for me.

HOT TOYS
MARVEL
EG Thor
Professor Hulk
EG War Machine (version 2)
Rocket
Valkyrie
EG Captain Marvel
Minerva
Okeyo
Black Order
Spider-Man (whatever’s cool)
Mysterio
Nebula (purple costume)

DC
Cyborg
Mera
Black Manta
Shazam
Shazam Family
Dr. Silvana
‘66 Batgirl
‘66 Joker
‘66 Catwoman (Newmar)
‘66 Riddler
‘92 Penguin
‘95 Batman (sonar)
‘95 Robin
‘95 Riddler
‘95 Two-Face
Lynda Carter Wonder Woman

STAR WARS
ESB Lando
Slave Leia
Geonosis Padme
Aayla Secura
Shaak-Ti

DISNEY
Genie
Aladdin
Jasmine

Other Licenses

T-850 Endo
T-1000
TX Endo
Smith
Morpheus
Trinity

QMX
Uhura
Chekhov
Data
Riker
Sisko
Dax
Janeway
7 of 9
Any other TOS, TNG, DS9 characters

ASMUS
Lurtz
Gandalf the White

Last edited:

Think with the 40th in 2021 we will see new Indy next year?

I think Hasbro will do a Black Series line, and we'll get a Raiders and Indy 5 version from HT with only the latter looking like Harrison, and new merch from Sideshow and others.

Though KOTCS wasn't great, we got some great new merchandise, most of which I still have.

Last edited:

It will be very telling with what is shown this year.

I don't expect much D.C. related but am hopeful for Shazam. A Joaquin Phoenix Joker would be cool. Although it seems early for a reveal, D.C. May want the publicity for this movie. I really hope Hot Toys uses this lull to bring out Batman 1966. My shelf hurts for that Caesar Romero Joker as well as the other villains and Yvonne Craig Batgirl.

Would love to see the Death star Commander shown years ago reworked and released. I do think we will see Bespin Han. They might delay an ESB Lando for an older version first.

I can't think of too many Marvel characters they either haven't done already or shown and not released.

Would immediately pre-order Blade Runner Dekkard, Batty, Pris, Rachel...oh jeez, all of them. A 1\6 Spinner would almost make up for the loss of the 66 Batmobile.

Really want a 1\6 Alien big chap, as well.

Last year seemed so lacklustre that I just hope to see some reveals that actually get made. My favorite figures shown last year were the Zorro and the Valerian figures. Sigh.

I am going to keep wishing and asking for a Hot Toys Peggy Carter until the end of the world.

Also, Boushh Leia. I'm kind of hoping Endor Leia never got put up for preorder so they could switch gears and do a Boushh release.

A Beetlejuice from NECA, HT or Blitzway would be awesome, but he gets no love from good companies for some reason. Ryan Gosling from Drive would be awesome too. The Cannibal Jack Sparrow that was teased years ago. 2.0 Stallone figures from HT. Every year it seems less likely to happen. :(

As ever I'm hoping to see a Pfeiffer Catwoman from HT but have absolutely zero expectations.

A T-800 Arnold from either T1 or T2 in 1/4 scale would sweet but again almost no chance of it happening.

True, their standards haven't changed in a long time now. Likenesses remain very hit and miss. They probably wouldn't nail Biehn's likeness, heck they probably still wouldn't nail Arnie's likeness. Even the DX13 took some steps back at the same time as it took steps forward so we still ended up with flawed headsculpts.

All that said though, after years and years of Marvel, it'd still stop us in our tracks if a 1984 Kyle Reese suddenly appeared out of nowhere, regardless of what the likeness was like.

True, their standards haven't changed in a long time now. Likenesses remain very hit and miss. They probably wouldn't nail Biehn's likeness, heck they probably still wouldn't nail Arnie's likeness. Even the DX13 took some steps back at the same time as it took steps forward so we still ended up with flawed headsculpts.

All that said though, after years and years of Marvel, it'd still stop us in our tracks if a 1984 Kyle Reese suddenly appeared out of nowhere, regardless of what the likeness was like.

Would be nice to finally see that 1/4 scale T-800 they teased a few years ago.

Yeah. Though I've always said that my own preference would be a Tech Noir for the more unique look, the longer hair and the punk jacket with the studs and chain. Imagine it :monkey2

I don't feel as excited about SDCC this year, for some reason. Maybe because I only really keep up with 1/6 now.

For HT MCU (and think is actually possible), I would like to see Okoye and Valkyrie.

I'm not currently collecting Star Wars or DC, so none of those possibilities really interest me. I don't think much outside of the mainstream licenses (Marvel, DC, Star Wars) is likely.

After rewatching the Matrix trilogy, I do wish HT would release Trinity and Morpheus to go with Neo as I would be interested in the trio, but since they never released Agent Smith, there's no point in wishing for that, IMO.

With QMX not giving an updates on Sam and Castiel from Supernatural, I don't have much anticipation for anything they show off - unless it's Star Trek it's not too likely it will actually see release.

Most of the stuff I want to see in 1/6th outside of the MCU doesn't have much of a chance of being made, at least by your HT, QMX, Threezero, etc....

Back