Sculpey Firm Issues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauholmes

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm starting to sculpt my own heads, and first I bought super sculpey and I already sculpted 3 heads with it with no issues, but I've just bought sculpey firm because I read amazing things about it, and uhmmm I dunno if it is the clay or it is me that I already found my way with super sculpey, but I find pretty difficult to sculpt with the firm one, I just can't simply do the sculpt not even the nose I feel clumsy with it.

Can you give me some advice about it, please? It would be very appreciated it

Its definitely different then super. You can't bulk up quickly at all. I use super for basic shape, cook it, then go over it with firm to add details. If you add small pieces instead of big chunks it will work better.

I found purely using the firm to be difficult and I abandoned it. Then someone mentioned using a 50/50 mix of super and firm. I've found that to offer the best of both products and my sculpts (while still not great) were definitely improved. You get the color and increased firmness of the firm, but it's still pliable and easy to work with like super.

One thing I've noticed is that over time Sculpey can dry out... so if I find it to be too stiff or brittle I'll tear off small pieces and drop them in water to sit for 5 or so minutes... the while still wet I'll kneed the two together to get a very workable product.

Guess whatever works for you the best go with it.
I've only dabbled with super sculpey and find it too soft so might try the firm or 50/50 with both.
I've had the super sculpey dry out in the past and the water trick does bring it back to life and soften it.
Maybe you got an old stock of firm.
Have seen people leave neg feedback on sellers sites for selling dry/old sculpey,so that might be the case with you aswell.

Yes you can mix it 50/50 with sculpy firm and normal
or you can mix a block of Fimo sculpt with normal to make it a tad firmer.
when i attempted to sculpt i mixed 50/50 and it took me ages and took it's toll on my wrist's just a pain to be honest.
Sculpey firm is very firm and hard to nead.
You may aswell get wax.

Have you ever tried paper clay?
Supposed to be amazing to work with as Narin use's it to sculpt with

It does take a lot of kneeding to get it mixed.... I usually set aside a half hour or so to mix a large amount then stick it baggies to use when needed.

so basically a paster rolling machine then
Also it is a good idea to leech normal sculpey inbetween 2 sheets of kitchen tissue.
I removes the greasy oils from it.

Yeah, I use a pasta machine to do the kneading. Firm is quite tough to work with just fingers.

I also soften the firm with Vaseline, or sculpey softener, but I find vaseline works same or better AND it's cheaper than sculpey softener at least in my country.

I have had luck using accelerator from my super glue. I wasn't going to mention it because its such a strange thing, but Johnny is throwing Vaseline in there so I thought I would add mine. ;)

I'm sure it makes for a delicious smell when you bake it :lecture

I've heard of the softener for Sculpey, but never used it. Recently the last few boxes of both super and firm have seemed more rigid than previous ones. Not sure if it's just bad luck or if the product changed a bit :huh

Wow guys! Thank you for all your advices, you are so kind.

I used 50/50 and still can't sculpt, probably it came dry as someone said, I think I'll try the softener I hope I can get good results. Thanks!!!

Back