Scorpion problem in my house...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These pics make me really jealous of you southwesterners.

Congrats on the new bug DC.

I've been thinking of you on this matter. And I am studying up on shipping scorpions. When we see these things, they frequently end up being around in numbers. I am keeping an eye out for two more for you and Lar'ja.

Now that I got the positive ID on him...it has been interesting reading up on them. These are one of the two largest scorpions in the US. And in keeping with what I have learned about scorpions...some of the least threatening to people. They are pretty aggressive...but the sting has little medical impact beyond hurting quite a bit at time it happens.

He has a very close relative (the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion, h. arizonensis) that is only differentiated by whether or not the coloring on the carapace extends to and beyond the eyes. H. spadix has the coloring all the way forward to the front of the carapace and h. arizonensis' coloring stops behind the eyes.

They are credited with longevity in captivity, (as much as 20 years, as I mentioned previously) and are rated as good pets because they are so low-maintainence and are not very harmful. But at the same time, they are amongst the largest scorpions in the world coming in not-to-far behind the Emperor Scorpion for size.

Hopefully, I won't feed this one to death.

These pics make me really jealous of you southwesterners.

Congrats on the new bug DC.

mcbain_zpsb13cdfd1.png

Wut

That kinda chit would make me sell my house. Christ :monkey4

I've been thinking of you on this matter. And I am studying up on shipping scorpions. When we see these things, they frequently end up being around in numbers. I am keeping an eye out for two more for you and Lar'ja.

I will petition for a national holiday in your honor if you can figure out how to mail me a live scorpion.

I've been talking to a very good buddy of mine that I have not had a chance to talk to for quite some time as our projects have been on opposite ends of the Nation.

I found out that he collects tarantulas. He told me that he has cut back to about 180 of them. He didn't tell me how many he was up to at the most.

I saw some pictures of them...and I did not realize that some tarantulas are fairly brightly colored.

Hmmm...tarantulas, huh?

Some promiscuous scorpion ho had a litter in my house. Now they are mooching off of me.

Tally so far is 2 adults, 2 newborns, and a juvenile. Nathan is keeping the juvenile.

I am thinking of sending you some of the scorpions native substrate, Devil, so that you can get started setting up the vivarium. If you want me to, let me know. I think I have a handle on sending the scorpion, now.

Start studying up on the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (hadrurus spidex, not H. Arizonensis). There are some great youtube vidoes to show you how to set up the vivarium.

Just a note...one of the better ones suggests a glass plate placed in the center of the vivarium to keep the burrows going around the outside. I do not prefer this...but in the end...it is a matter of personal preference and nothing more.

I am thinking of sending you some of the scorpions native substrate, Devil, so that you can get started setting up the vivarium. If you want me to, let me know. I think I have a handle on sending the scorpion, now.

Thanks for asking, but I think you know what my answer will be. :lol

Yes, please.

Well...the tally is now 6. We just found another, and I think this one is female. I'll check it out tomorrow and get pics up.

The plan is coming together nicely. Now that we can breed them, all we need is a gamma ray.

Global conquest on giant scorpions FTW. :rock

LOL...damn right!

I would have thought that I had this figured out by now. But I had my hadruruses backwards. Those that I have been touting as spadixes are actually arizonensises.

The new arival appers to be a spadix.

Spadix have black bodies, and arizonensis are lighter?

Over all, the color on arizonensis is lighter. But the color on the scorpions can vary a little in how dark it is from sporpion to scorpion. So that is one way to tell them apart, but not the best. The best way to differentiate between the two are that the color on arizonensis stops at the eyes. The color on spadix goes all the way to the front of the carapace.

I had that characterisitc reversed on the two.

The newest addition to the family...

Just about to start researching him. I am stoked. I have not had a tarantula for years.

Back