Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NECA is NOT what this thread was started for.
This thread was intended for the furthering of 1:6 POTA by sideshow, then HT and 1:6 customs.
The tiny ones have no business here.

But apparently, Wax Murderers 1:1 gorilla appliance mold pull does? Interesting.

Gee..Central City used to be a more kinder and tolerant place back in the day.

And judging by the unfortunate sales of the NECA figures, it looks like fans of that line will be starting their own "Save the NECA Planet of the Apes" thread.

Truth be told its even older than that.
This threat started back on the old SSF and was "transferred" here after the big EZboard crash that caused SSF to reboot themselves in '05.

Its great that the thread still lives even though sideshow and Hot Toys (and now neca) ignore these core fans.

From what I remember, this thread was started after I came back from SDCC in 2005. After seeing the new prototypes Sideshow had on display of the new wave of figures from their POTA line, I was told by Mat Falls (who sculpted 95% of the Ape line) that these figures would be it... there would be no more Apes after that. I reported this to the existing POTA thread at the time (long gone now) of this development and Steve started this thread in reaction to that terrible news.

I really would like to go back and read some of those old 2004-2005 posts from that long extinct thread... I remember there was great feeling of excitement at the birth of this new line. It was a life long dream come true... for Sideshow to produce 12" Apes! I even flew down to SDCC for the first time in 2004 for the SOLE purpose to see those figures shown for the first time in prototype form at the Sideshow Booth. I posted all of my photos back on that thread. I couldn't wait to get them in my hands! GREAT times.

Last edited:
Well this thread was started for Ape Fans and to save the Sideshow line so it may not be my right to post Neca's Ape line in here since some won't like it which I'll respect it. But I collect anything Ape related in any scale. It doesn't matter to me as long as I get some Ape Collectibles!

Yeah I'm sorry if I offended the thread. I thought this thread was an all Ape thread. I would love to see new 1:6 Apes made for sure. But who knows when that will be.

Ryan, this thread used to be all ape things related, we've had bend-ems, cookie jars, Medicom, Tim Burton's apes, drinking glasses, books, Mego, etc. Hopefully one day these Neca Apes can join

Speaking for myself,I have to admit that I don't mind the absence of humans(except maybe Nova).My main problem with the TV series was "too many humans".The show was called"Planet of the Apes" ,not "Planet of Occasional Apes".I like what NECA has done so far(with the possible exception of the first Zaius sculpt)and plan on picking up more. Would I like more 1/6 Apes;absolutely.Will I make do with NECA's current offerings;you bet your bananas.I am particularly impressed with most of the face sculpts,especially Ursus,which I feel they absolutely nailed(wish HT had done as well).
Anyway,my 2 cents,though I doubt I'm alone here...PS

I agree, believe it or not, it seems Neca outdid Ursus with Urko, he looks stunning, can't wait for him and Aldo.

Gee..Central City used to be a more kinder and tolerant place back in the day.

Agreed. Those were the good old days. :monkey2

Well this thread was started for Ape Fans and to save the Sideshow line so it may not be my right to post Neca's Ape line in here since some won't like it which I'll respect it. But I collect anything Ape related in any scale. It doesn't matter to me as long as I get some Ape Collectibles!
Spoken like a true ape fan! :clap Keep on collecting!

Stickman we are all Ape fans in here and hopefully one day Neca Apes will find a way in here. My Ape collection is Farley small but any chance I find any Apes I buy them. We are all true Ape Fans in here no matter what!

Just for the hell of it. Any of you Ape Fans and Collectors in this thread have any spare Sideshow Ape figures laying around? I'm looking for a couple but don't want to spend too much getting them from eBay new. If you have any you're willing to sell please pm me. Worth a shot!

You just missed an ebay auction of 3 Gorilla Soldiers and a general for $108 shipped.
Sideshow Planet of The Apes General Ursus and Soldier Apes 1 6 Action Figures | eBay

Dang... Well so far I own Astronaut Taylor and the Taylor-Nova 2-Pack. At least trying to get Cornelius, Zira, Zaius and an Ape Soldier. For Beneath I'm willing to pick up Brent. Amok times still has him for a good price and thinking of getting the Mutant Leader and maybe even the Jailor Taylor but for now Cornelius, Zira, Zaius, Soldier and Brent are my main targets.

Just saw these pictures and immediately thought of everyone here. For more search SCI-Fi Air Show on youtube. Icarus Sci-Fi Air Show1.jpgIcarus Sci-Fi Air Show 2.jpgIcarus Sci-Fi Air Show3.jpg

^
Thanks for sharing those awesome pics. Great to see the legendary angelofmusic2112 here again. I am so glad you let me buy some of your ape creations.

I also have been thinking about how quiet this thread has been. So many things compete for my limited spare time. I have more 1/6 scale apes I want to make but I have so many other characters in my 1/6 scale custom queue.

Hello Ape fans. No posts since February 2015? What happened here?

I was told I shouldn't post here unless it was about 12" Apes. So I found less confining places on the web to explore my Ape fandom.

Great to hear from you again Angel... your Caesar statue still one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

Just saw these pictures and immediately thought of everyone here. For more search SCI-Fi Air Show on youtube.View attachment 192092View attachment 192093View attachment 192094

The Legend Lives!

Hey Angel, Welcome back!!

Those are some awesome models.

I'm with PZ, I was under the impression if our remarks had nothing to do with 12" SS apes, it had no business in this thread, so I moved to where the ape action was happening, before it faltered.

Anyways, welcome back!

Thanks guys for the kind words, it's good to hear from each of you. I'm still into KISS and their music; that still seems to be my strongest passion since leaving the thread. Haven't been creative in with POTA (or customs) in YEARS! (5-6 years?)

As you all know, I sold off my entire collection of 1:6.

Not feeling the need to be creative as I grow older. I am a HUGE fan of "Prometheus" and I'm really looking forward to the next installment of this movie from Ridley Scott. The Alien franchise is so cool. Any one else think so?

I'm certainly curious as to what Ridley has planned for the next Prometheus. I've always had an certain interest in the Alien franchise... until those Alien versus Predator movies. Prometheus (as flawed as it was) did much to re-pique my interest.

As for me I've been caught up in endless shell game that is the Game of Thrones... I find that world (both book and screen) infinitely compelling. Been looking forward to the next book for YEARS now.

This thread was started to keep the 1:6 POTA alive. Its a shame so many abandoned ship to support what amounts to its competition.

Angel, I liked Prometheus and I am looking forward to its sequel as well as the new Alien film.

I really wish you weren't like this, Steve. It's your narrow-mindedness and bullying that has emptied Ape City.

Funny, you are okay about Angel visiting this thread with pictures of the Icarus model... which I must point out has NOTHING to do with keeping the 1:6 scale figures alive... but you become hostile with any post that concerns the NECA apes.

Bottom line this is NOT about keeping this thread 'pure"... concentrated squarely on 1:6 scale talk... it's all about your feelings toward NECA. How YOU feel about their blocking your comments on Facebook... about them being annoyed with you badgering them about the business of making toys that you have absolutely no experience in.

This thread is about to celebrate it's 10th year on forum. Within those 10 years, there was FAR more topics discussed about Apes than simply 12" figures. Heck, we recently started taking about Prometheus for pete's sake! It was my home thread for many of those years. We have enjoyed Jessica antics in makeup at conventions. I have shared my experiences meeting some of the stars from the films. We have reminisced about the vintage material we collected over the years such as the MEGO line, the Power records and trading cards. We have discussed the merits of the new batch of films. All of this was okay with you until NECA came to town.

So when your fellow Ape fans embraced the product from a company that rejected you, you felt betrayed by us. But the simple fact is... these new figures are simply amazing... holding these figures in hand, you know they were made by a company that loves the films as much as we do. (Heck, unlike Sideshow, they were able to put the right number of rows of armor on General Ursus!) Hearing Randy from NECA talk about his love of Apes and the pride he has in this line, it's hard not to be taken in by it all.

Frankly your indignation about these smaller Apes baffles me... you took our enthusiasm over these new Apes as some kind of slap in the face. Why? I'm sure you checked out all of the amazing creativity that is on display at the NECA POTA thread... a thread that has grown to nearly 1,400 posts. That is significant. It's wonderful to see how people have taken to this new scale of Ape and have ran with it. Obviously NECA has hit a nerve with these collectors in a way that the 12" Sideshow figures never did. Having these Apes smaller and more affordable makes it MORE possible for bigger and better dioramas! That Beneath mutant cathedral that's being erected is simply breathtaking! How could ANY Ape fan NOT be moved by these creations?

It's been over six years since Hot Toys dropped the ball on the 12" line. If this thread is going to survive to would have to adapt to the changing climate in the Ape collecting world, embracing the enthusiasm of your fellow Ape fans. But your stance has been that you would rather have this thread die than validate these new smaller Apes.

Then there is nothing to save here. Let it die.

Last edited:
First, I never bullied anyone.
Second, I've already asked that this thread be closed because it had run its course and
Third, this thread is way past 10 years. The date in the first posts only show the "transfer" date to the new SSF after the EZ board crash.
And, onto the intent of this thread, I guess I was angry at NECA. It isn't good business to shun and exclude (potential) customers just because they asked questions. I suppose that, combined with all the folks here who said they would petition NECA as well and then just bought whatever NECA put out, jaded me somewhat.

But, to paraphrase Caesar, maybe now is the time to lay down our arms, and keep the spirit of POTA alive more than anything else.
So... bring in your NECA, your Mego(ish), your customs and let begin a "new" birth of the Planet of the Apes!

Back