Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IM--I believe Jungle posted about it Rainman's Caesar here. You must have missed his post.

Great photo Jungle.

Yes, Angel. Mine is at the post office (was out and about and missed delivery), so I have to pick it up in person.

Tomorrow I have to frickin' swing by the slave mines because one of the monkeys at Apemania accidentally delivered my parcel to my ex-overlords. When I arrive, I will sound the alert and one of the slaves will toss the parcel to my awaiting carriage. How godawful is this? sigh...

Last edited:
My theater got back Rise of the Planet of the Apes on Friday and this time in digital. It is rare to get a movie back after it has left. Still, it was the first time I'd seen the film in digital. It looked great.

While I was watching last night, it slowly dawned on me that I was watching it on the anniversary of Roddy McDowall passing. He died October 3, 1998.

I know I've stated this before on this thread, but the day he died was a strange one for me. I went to one of my favorite toy stores that day only to find all three 12" Planet of the Apes figures from Hasbro. I knew they were coming out. I had purchased a 12" Zaius Prototype a couple of months before on eBay, along with both Cornelius and General Ursus prototypes which were on the way from Hong Kong. It was great to finally see these guys all painted, in their boxes and on the toy shelves. I couldn't remember the last time I saw commerically available POTA product on a store shelf.

When I brought them home, I found the parcel from Hong Kong waiting for me. I had bought two each, one to open and another to keep in package. Boy did I ape out that day. I put on my POTA laserdisc as a opened each figure. I started making plans about altering these apes to be more scene accurate. I pondered what could be next for the line if it was successful. I lined them up and took LOTS of pictures. I had the box ape next the the opened ape next to the prototype. It was the most fun I'd had with my toy collecting in years.

It wasn't until the next day did I find out that Roddy had died that day. I was shocked and extremely upset and sad. However, I think back and I can't think of a better way of celebrating the man's life than celebrating the connection I felt toward him through his work. I still have those three unopened boxes of that first wave of Hasbro Apes, to help preserve that day of utter collector joy.

Long live the king... the TRUE Caesar.

Ohhhhh....I did not realize he died Oct. 3. How awful. Hail Caesar. Long live the King.

Last edited:
Hey Proto...

I can remember the last time I saw a commercially available POTA product on a store shelf...

It was today in The Forbidden Planet Store in NYC. They had one of each of Cornelius, Zaius and Ursus Hasbro figures you spoke of.

Thanks for sharing that touching story. At a young age, I think I learned the actor's names before any others or at least actors in prosthetic make-up. They could breathe life into latex. I remember when I learned of Roddy's passing, my wife told me that I was more upset about that than when her uncle died. :(

Changing the subject slightly...
Here is a work in progress:

Thanks for sharing that touching story. At a young age, I think I learned the actor's names before any others or at least actors in prosthetic make-up. They could breathe life into latex. I remember when I learned of Roddy's passing, my wife told me that I was more upset about that than when her uncle died. :(

That looks really great!

If I may suggest... maybe you could make the shoulders a bit broader.

That's amazing DP! GREAT job on his body and head!!!

Yeah Jess, I guess if he mentioned it I did miss it. Too bad just the same.
And thanks so much for the cards! They arrived yesterday!

Thank you and thanks for the tips. I, too, was thinking the musculature didn't look quite right. I think I can pad the shoulders just a bit. I wish I knew how to purchase or make this body:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89435

I did buy an unpainted head also, but there is no way I could paint it any better. ha.

I am worried that I won't be about to sculpt good chimp hands and feet.

Sadly, he will go into stasis for a while because of work.

Thanks again for the advice. :1-1:

Longtime lurker, first time poster...but it's worth posting to say how fantastic that looks, The_Darkness_Predator. Very very nice.

And when did Roddy McDowall meet Lassie?

Hey guys!! So excited. OMG I'm so not worthy! Even though I had to touch the same land as the slave mines and breathe in the same air as the ex-overlords, the surprise was worth the effort. I just can't believe it. Apemania just ROX!!!

Zira1.gif

Actually she looks like this now...and I guess the correct terminology for this is a resin kit. So excited! I will have to put her on my telephone table and take a new photograph of my apes again. Wish I had a good camera. I may buy one this weekend.
001.jpg

Last edited:
Longtime lurker, first time poster...but it's worth posting to say how fantastic that looks, The_Darkness_Predator. Very very nice.

And when did Roddy McDowall meet Lassie?

"Lassie Come Home"...

And welcome Nefud

Thanks guys. I have a customization question-- has anyone had much success putting a beard on one of the non-bearded Taylors? I was thinking about thin layers of superglue painted brown...

Back