Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I heard, Paula Crist was in the Santa Rosa area. If they can be managed to don the ape gear again (highly doubt that though because they are probably a few decades older than us), they would have to play really old apes, if their body mass index is good for the costume.

I guess their body mass would be a concern. IIRC, they were only a few years older than me back in the 70's. How old was Roddy when he last donned the makeup? Or how old was Lew Ayres, John Huston, James daly or James Whitmore? If nothing else it would be great to see the "real' Apes on screen again.

Jess, you should do something like this:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4q0dpEm71ZU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4q0dpEm71ZU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey! Does anyone else recall the old Marvel B&W POTA mag and its articles on Bill and Paula? They also did a more "futuristic" POTA stunt shoot. Paula had streaks in her ape hair and their were laser type handguns...Does anyone have a clue as to where any color photos of this might be? I tried google but went mad from the lack of finding anything.

Ironman, can you believe that the young Cornelius portrayed in that videotape is my neighbor Dan? We were to go ape together at Wondercon 09 but health issues made it impossible for him. Tom Rubalcava says he's doing much better now but there were some scary moments.

My friend lent me that B&W POTA mag with the article of Bill and Paula. I will have to go look for it and re-read it. I would love to see more photos of this again, B&W or color...

What a small world it is!! It is so very cool that you guys know each other!

I have all the old b&w Marvel mags but I know there has to be some color shots out there somewhere!!

I think we could have made a stunning couple...Tom sculpted, Dan helped cook the foam and I think Dan did his own makeup. They had another lady do the hair.
cornelius_WonderconAfterParty.jpg

I met the costumer of the Retro Dome at the apes double feature. He's had experience with foam latex and I'm just so stoked that he wants to dress up as Dr. Zaius! I told him it would have to be local--either Wondercon or Supercon...but we will go ape together. The only thing is he's really tall...like six feet and he towers so much above me. It will still be great to not be the only ape in town.

Good idea, Ironman! He's not svelte but huggable, and I think it may work.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday, driving around, a cop stopped to my left at a super long stoplight while I was in full ape gear. I freaked out and turned my face away from him--even took my left hand off the steering wheel so he wouldn't see the fur on it--talked to my girlfriend and asked her if he was looking in the vehicle. Luckily for us, he did not notice me...I just didn't want any "incidents" and thank gawd the light turned green.

Last edited:
Jess, do you have any other POTA heads ready to go? I'm jonesing for more POTA, dusting off my paints and brushes and would rather paint all of them at once if possible. I still prefer painting simians to humans!

I have to order some more resin, IM. I think the one I have is too old or something--anyway, I don't like the way it's curing. I want to follow through and complete Dodge, Virdon and maybe a gorilla.

I have a Virgil. Are you interested in Virgil?

I'm always interested. Do you have any pix so I can wrap my head around him? I don't recall how he looked.
Also, on the topic of heads...
How many folks would be interested in a custom POTA sculpt? I know we've been down this dusty trail before but we could choose which simian it would be [the hardest part for our diverse group I would hazard to say] and then, once complete we could even have its emotions changed for another sculpt. So if we got say a straight faced Aldo, we could go with a second version with a menacing snarl, teeth bared or place a scar across an ape's face for a before and after battle look. Just some ideas I'd like to get your thoughts on.

Virgil:
zira059.jpg
zira061.jpg

I'd be interested in a POTA sculpt. It doesn't matter who it is for me, as long as it's a simian and it looks great. I will go with the majority. Let's go for it and get it done.

I'll take Virgil.
My understanding is that we'd need about 16 or so folks to get on the head bandwagon. You seem to be the most "popular" of us among the other forums, could you ask around and see if anyone else might be interested? I'd of course prefer a gorilla, but am not all that fussy if it means gettig a new sculpt done. I'd even be up for just getting a new HT face plate accomplished if it diversifies the garrison.
Have you heard anything recently from Mr. Shrinker/enlarger? I contacted him quite a while ago, he said it would be a couple of weeks but its been way longer than months!!

Ironman--Ian's put shrinking/enlarging to the back burner. The economy has big his butt big time, so that's not a priority for him now.

I'll ask around, but can't promise much.

That's too bad about Ian, I had so much I was hoping he could help with. :monkey2

Asking around is all I could ask of you. I would love to see something new for us to grab.

Guys I'm working on a trade right now. I can't wait to get this "project" done. That's all I'm going to say. It's going to be spectacular.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ok60rgaRrfo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ok60rgaRrfo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My first YouTube upload! Enjoy!! (OK, first off, I suck at playing the piano. I can't even read musical notes...I was cheating and looking at how the kid's piano teacher had written down which finger to press). It took a whole damned hour, 11 hours after I had first glued on the makeup, and I kept messing up. I was really really tired....:monkey2 But it was for a good cause. Long may the apes live!!:hi5:

Back