Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean, what's wrong with the Sideshow Caesar?

I always thought that all the SS Caesar needed was a professional re-paint. The base sculpt is solid. Unfortunately I don't have the extra funds for such an endeavor. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I wonder what the prototype head looked like since they stuck the head of Cornelius on him for the Caesar pre-order. :dunno :dunno :dunno

Sean, what's wrong with the Sideshow Caesar?

I just thought the sculpt wasn't a good likeness. The head is too pointy and maybe the eyes too close together.

Sideshow's Ceasar:

review_caesar_1.jpg

Real Ceasar:

conquestapes.jpg

caesarconquest.jpg

Sean

Last edited:
I will have to look more closely at the SS Caesar and check him out, and compare him against the movie. He's still boxed up, and way high up in the closet, so I've never really taken a good look at him.

I wonder if anybody's ever repainted the SS Cornelius. At least he's not wearing lipstick like the SS Zira.

I just thought the sculpt wasn't a good likeness. The head is too pointy and maybe the eyes too close together.

Sideshow's Ceasar:

review_caesar_1.jpg

Real Ceasar:

conquestapes.jpg

Holy Mother of God! He's fugly. I never realized that. It's hard to see how a repaint could help, PZ. I'm going to take this monkey out of the box and work him. It's not like it could get any worse. Funny how he is so pricey to get now. You could always augment with super sculpey to lessen the pointy-head effect, but there's not much you can do for eyes that are too close together without major surgery. Basically a resculpt would be easier at that point.

Does anyone know who sculpted him for Sideshow?

LOL, the only 1:6 underwear I have is ToyPresidents boxers!!
As Tim Gunn says on Project Runway, "Make it work." Hey that reminds me...there's some guy on the Megomuseum that is doing apes characters from the terror series. I think. I am not comic book savvy, so my recall is a little bit hazy.

Last edited:
Well, first off that picture of Caesar is not very flattering.

review_caesar_1.jpg

WAY to much glare from the flash.

But the paint job Sideshow gave to Caesar is a crime against nature. In my mind it literally destroyed Mat Falls' sculpting job. I could tell when I talked to him that he was a little disappointed with how it turned out. Just look at the difference in the paint job on Caesar hands as compared to the hands on Cornelius. I don't have the pictures for this comparison but those with both figures can attest to the drop in quality. I have no doubt that when Caesar went into production, Sideshow knew they were hammering the nails in the coffin of their line. And that circus poster was just the rotten cherry on the top.

But yes, I DO believe that the right professional re-print could save the king. One dramatic comparsion between a bad production paint job and a professional re-paint comes to mind:

Before and After
nov6lost4.jpg
mg2638.jpg

Here's a few more pics, including the official Sideshow pic. To me, there's no saving this headsculpt. It looks nothing like Ceasar:

Picture-1-1.jpg

caesar-2.jpg

caesar-1.jpg

Sean

Add me to the vote for Zaius from HT. This is not to say that I don't want the chimps as well; I just want Zaius first...PS

I wish one of those megatalented painters would take up this Caesar. That is a really horrible paint job. I never realized it before. Yuck. PZ I think you should try to repaint him yourself. You can't get any worse than he already looks. His right brow ridge is bothering me. Like it got squished right before they took the mold.

I prepped Zira's mask today, and re-haired the hairline for the sides of the face. I'm thinking of using pax paint on the backs of my hands and neck instead of rubber mask grease just for longetivity...

WaxM, how DID SDCC go? Did you bump into any apes? I just remembered that you were there with your wife. Was it crazy? Did you see the gorilla brothers? Did you see my friend Jeff dressed up as Zaius?

Last edited:
Ok - DUH!!!
I collect Planet of the Apes!!I have enough extra stuff to at least make a "prototypical" Jason from Terror on the Planet of the Apes.
TerrorPOTAJason01.jpg

Apologies for the crap pic, it was taken hastily with my phone.
Alexander is in the makeup chair.

LOL! Yeah, IM. You should have enough stuff in your collection.

Here's a quick fitting/makeup test. I think the color's too pale. I will go darker a little bit--I'm putting pax paint this time instead of rubber mask grease for the paintup. I suck. I can't find my curler--it's been since October when I last used it. I can't wait for the day when I get to use my own foam latex. Weather here is still too humid to try and make foam latex.

dsc04413z.jpg
dsc04412l.jpg

Last edited:
Jess, That ROCKS!!
I am hoping to go to the NYCC with my little guy in October. I so wish I had the $ to get a POTA gorilla ensemble.

Thanks IM!! I can't wait...I love putting on the makeup. I feel like a totally different being. Another liquid nutrition kind of day, but it's worth it. Oh what price beauty!

dsc04410j.jpg

I painted my nails this afternoon with black tooth enamel. Works great for the costume. Only thing is it's not shiny like nail polish. If I can manage, I will post me trying to play the piano on Facebook while in full ape gear. I think it will be funny to see.

I'm doing something different with the makeup, too. I'm going to glue down the lower muzzle separately. I know that will give me extra edges to have to blend, but I want to try it.

Last edited:
Jessica, you're mask looks amazing. Your talents are exceptional. I think Roddy would get a kick out of your POTA enjoyment. If only I could photoshop the two of you in a car, driving around together. :)

IM, maybe dirty him up a bit, use some brown shoe polish and splotch it on his chest to represent a hair patch?

I just started a thread about this, but I decided to add the post to the mega thread just in case you guys overlook it.

Remember that old Landis film "Schlock"? Well it looks like Sideshow was planning on releasing a figure of him. A prototype has popped up on Ebay.

schlock2.jpg

schlock3.jpg

schlock4.jpg

Here's the ("missing") link to the listing:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160466347040&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Very cool item. Being a lover of all things "ape," I would love to have this but it is too rich for my blood. And the prototype was sculpted by Mat Falls, the sculptor behind Sideshow's Planet of the Apes 12" line.

Wow PZ I would have totally missed that. I've never seen the film before. I must try and watch it!! I wonder if it's on Netflix...

Wow PZ I would have totally missed that. I've never seen the film before. I must try and watch it!! I wonder if it's on Netflix...

It was John Landis's first film. In fact, he played the monkey, Schlock as well with the make up done by Rick Baker. John Chambers, the creator of the Planet of the Apes makeup, makes a cameo appearance in the film as a security guard.

schlock.jpg

In hindsight, I should have stated that the figure for sale is probably a two-up prototype... not a 1:6 figure per se. So, that's why the figure measures over 12" tall. The production piece would have probably been part of their early 7" figure line... when they were known as Sideshow Toy Company. Considering all of the classic monsters that they covered in that line, I'm surprised they actually came this close to producing this figure. Perhaps the film has a special connection with Mat Falls the sculptor.

Last edited:
Back