Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! GUYS!! I did it! I made a successful foam run! Now I can make them as I need them and not have to recycle them! I am so happy. It took 3 hours to bake her, and I had to adjust the timing because the 2nd foam run gelled too fast for me and mid-pour I freaked out, so bubbles galore on the nose and mouth. The first did not gel at all because I didn't realize that the stupid vintage mixer I had was on death's door. Anyway, I killed the motor on that one...and I was so desperate to get this done that I went to Wally World and invested in a $20 hand mixer with 6 speeds.

I'm currently working on a gorilla mask now. The gorillas are harder to sculpt than the chimps because of all of the wrinkles and folds. I don't think it will fit in my convection oven, so I'm going to have to see if my husband can help me rig up some oven and I can use the $30 airbake motor I got from Goodwill to power it up.

dsc01408n.jpg

Cool stuff!!! Looks really great!!! I made so many POTA appliances when I was growing up, this bring back memories of sitting in my basement, sculpting, running foam, etc.

When we were kids my brother and I rigged up our own oven for larger molds. We used a large metal garbage can wrapped in wall insulation on the outside. I can't recall what the heat source was, but it worked pretty well. My brother is now a makeup effects artist doing major films (worked with Rick Baker, etc), and it all began with our mom's kitchen oven and that makeshift garbage can oven, running foam.

Sean

Oh Sean...great memories. I'm always late to the party! Just imagine if we had the internet back then and I got into this stuff. How different I wonder would my life be?

I'm currently working on a gorilla mask now. The gorillas are harder to sculpt than the chimps because of all of the wrinkles and folds. I don't think it will fit in my convection oven, so I'm going to have to see if my husband can help me rig up some oven and I can use the $30 airbake motor I got from Goodwill to power it up.

[/IMG]

WOW!! If you can make gorilla appliances I'd be in for buying one from you!! Can you make them look character specific [like Urko]?

He still needs a lot of work, but I'm going to do just that...just because I love Planet of the Apes so much.

urko001.jpg

DAMN!! That is SWEET!! I can already see how great the resemblence is. You should consider trying him in 1:6 too!! I would love to ape up as him for the NYCC!! Don't think I'd be able to get a uni together by then though. :(
Please be sure to keep us updated!

Ironman, you don't need a full ape uniform to get your ape on. It would still be cool to wear regular clothing. Maybe even a police uniform. It doesn't matter. Just get your ape on for God's sake!

Ironman, you don't need a full ape uniform to get your ape on. It would still be cool to wear regular clothing. Maybe even a police uniform. It doesn't matter. Just get your ape on for God's sake!

I want to, but I need a face and hair to at least get started!!

While doing other "ape" research I found this:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/CEcA65bAmdo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/CEcA65bAmdo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wound up being called a different name [Trauma Center]when the series finally aired, albeit for a short period of time :(

Aw! That's so cool! He was so cute. I think he still is.

Ironman, you just go to a ghetto hair shop and buy some hair that you sew onto a spandex hood. You can probably get the spandex hood at a sex shop for role playing. Just plop the mask on it, and color it with rubber mask grease paint. Presto, instant gorilla.

LOL, I'm a long way from anything "ghetto". People think of the area I live in as "the sticks". I will try looking around for a spandex hood though.

I know it won't make sense now, but when you are at the wig shop, look for color 2B (dark brown), and you can use fake hair (Kanekalon)...and try to find something with a slight wave (like cranberry curls).

I thought you guys might want to watch this
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/do_pHzBwN8M?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/do_pHzBwN8M?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

Dinolast,

Awesome find on the video. Pretty amazing and very cool to watch. Next, Dances with Wolves! :clap

Dinolast--thanks for posting that video. It's a great one.

Jungle! I can't believe FINALLY!!! Yay for you. How many years now have you waited for this moment?

What do you think of the sculpt, guys. Does it look Urko-like? You can't really tell when the mouth is open...but when it's closed he looks really cute.

dsc04564m.jpg
dsc04565.jpg

Not strictly on topic, but i figured Space Adam might be popular around these parts-
detail26.jpg

pose7-6.jpg

pose5-11.jpg

pose2-11.jpg

pose17-4.jpg

pose26.jpg

detail34.jpg

Hmmmm, I wonder how he'd look with a regular simian face?

Also on an ape-related note,..
I picked up the Savage Art of Bob Larkin book. For those not in the know, Larkin was one of, if not, the most sought after cover artist of the 70's. He did magazine covers, paperbacks, etc. He did a lot of Conan and Doc Savage covers but he first came to my attention in the early 70's when Marvel's b&w Planet of the Apes mag hit the stands. His cover art blew me away. And, while I wouldn't alweays agree with the colors chosen for some of the covers the style was phenomenal. Alas, much to my dismay, there is not a glimpse of simian sketchings in the book. :monkey2
It does have a forward by Joe Jusko [who will be conributing to the Conspiracy book] and an afterward from Alex Ross who I would LOVE to see to some classic POTA art.
Hopefully there will be a volume II that digs into the POTA era of his work.

Last edited:
Back