Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Ape Joe is in business? I've tried to locate their site using old links but have gotten nowhere. Do you have some pictures of their work? It's been a LONG time since I saw their work. It would be interesting to compare it to Sideshow's efforts

I don't think they are. I also tried finding them thru old links and searches, but to no avail. I had heard rumors that they were starting to get "Andgor-ish" in not delivering items ordered. I can see about taking some pix, although I wouldn't want to compare them to Sideshow's. :p
Ape-Joe was built on a Cotswold type body. Not the best articulation [IMHO] by today's standards. He did all his own casting of the gloves and boots and they are imperfect at best. The costumes and headsculpts are decent for "at home" versions but pale in comparison to some other home made ape figures I've seen. If I recall, he was also making some Trek and Starship Trooper stuff, but I never got around to getting any of that. When I think of what his apes cost now I cringe.

I remeber Ape Joe around three to five years ago, his prices where too high for me and his color scheme seemed a little off for my liking.
Yesterday I found a really cool picture of an Icarus model. I blew it up on my printer then cut it out and stuck it behind my Astronaut Taylor and Brent. It looks great.
Protozaius do you have the regular Lawgiver statue or the Vision Lawgiver? Might you have a picture you could share? I wish I knew how to upload pictures myself. Any suggestions?
Ironman, how many figures do you have in your collection? I was looking through some of your photos and really liked the V figures. That sure brought back some memories. Thanks.

I got the Ape-Joe figures when they were first coming out. I found the receipt when I moved and boy did that bring about sticker shock!! I swore I'd never pay anything like that again without seeing an item in person. At the time, they were the only apes in town. :\
Stickman, as for figures, I haven't been able to sit down and do a full count in some time. I started one a week or so ago and stopped at around #730. Figuring I was nowhere near done, I'd have to estimate being close to, if not over, 2000.

his prices where too high for me and his color scheme seemed a little off for my liking.

Me too. I came VERY close a couple of times, a few years back, to scratching up enough disposable income to get one but something always came up...

like the birth of my kids! :banana :banana :banana

And Stickman, crazy as it seems, I have BOTH Lawgivers! Why, you ask when one is just a repaint? Well, Ursus looks so damn cool next to him! As for pictures, I still don't know how to up load them to these threads.

Not:bang smart:bang enough!:bang

2k figures huh? Wow. I started collecting about seven or eight years ago when 21st Century toys first started. A girlfriend bought me a special ops soldier and I was hooked. I'm now up to about 200. It's amazing to see how far 1:6 scale has come in less than a decade. I later moved on and collected DML WWII German figs for a whlie before getting burned out on them. I wanted vareity and SS offers plenty of that. I have a few WWI figures and the entire BOA civil war collection except for the Federal 6 pound field gun :( and now the whole Ape line. I never got into BTVS however. The only Ape peice I'm missing is the Lawgiver and I want the Vision version only because of the limited number of 100 and the way it looks. Does anyone have the Medicom 6" or 8" "Greatest Ape" figure? I think that this would make a nice background statue for the Oragatan inquisition scene IMO.

I need more apes and more cowbells.

Re: Save the Planet of the Apes

I laugh so hard every time I see it. I think half America knows that line now. Every time I hear the Blue Oyster Cult now I think of crazy man CW.

Protozauis you're right. I'm starting to see a lot of the stores stating that they have sold out of the gorillas.

Ironman how many Gorillas do you own? SS gorillas.

I now have 35 SS ape figures! WooHoo!
Save the Apes!!! I love this line.

I don't have a single Gorilla Soldier (not counting General Ursus). :(
I'm going to have to pick one up soon.

I now have 35 SS ape figures!

GEEZ!!! What is the break down... how many Ape Enforcers, Ape Marauders, Zaiuses etc. How many have you customized?

I'm sure there are a fair amount of Taylors in there.;)

I'm going to have to pick one up soon.

Well, screamingmetal, Sideshow is offering a "second chance" on the Ape Enforcer...

www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=apes_12&item=7505

and since they are in stock, you'll probably get a SSC hat.;)

New number is 40
Not including Mutants:

7 Ape Enforcers - 5 opened, Dyed bandolier darker brown
3 Ape Marauders - 1 opened - added Prussian backpack
2 Ursus Exclusive - 1 opened
2 slave Brent - 1 opened added SFX wounds and blood
2 Astronaut brent - 1 opened
5 Astronaut Taylor Exclusive - 1 opened added to slave taylor
1 Astronaut Taylor - opened (best of the head sculpts IMO)
3 BPOTA Taylor- 1 opened added SFX blood
4 slave Taylor - 1 opened
4 Salve Nova - 1 opened
2 Dr Zauis Forbidden Zone - 1 opend
2 Caesar Exclusive - Sealed
1 Dr Zauis - opened
1 Zira
1 Cornelius

Impressive line up!:bow

With all those Apes, you really need someone to lay down the law... THE LAWGIVER statue!!!:rock

So, did you open Cornelius and Zira or are they still in the box? Are planing to keep a full set MIB or are you waiting for the right time to open them up? For me, there are a couple of figures I would like to keep MIB... not for any investment purposes... I just think that the box art for these figures was sooo impressive it would be nice to have a few in tact.

You're right Protozauis I do need a Lawgiver!!!! These apes are getting out of control; they're taking over my living room and scaring my wife.
Actually I did open Cornelius and Zira, sorry I forgot to write that as it was 2AM and I was very tired when I wrote the reply. I would like to keep at least one-two of each figure boxed to keep everything intact. I too enjoy the box art and feel that this line will eventually increase sharply due to the very low quantities. I figured I'd keep one set to sell at a later date which will have paid for the set that I opened and had a chance to enjoy first hand. But do I want the regular Lawgiver or the apocalyptic Vision Lawgiver? I can't decide.

Frankly with that many apes, you need more than one statue to estabish peace....

Get 'em BOTH!!!:rock

Save the Planet of the Apes!!!

Ok, ok...Protozaius; you send a Lawgiver to stickman, and Stickman; you send 3 gorilla soldiers to me :lol

pota_bnnra.gif

Yes Sir General,

Protozaius you get peace of mind that you helped save the whole ape population by bringing true ape order.

Ape shall not kill Ape

Back