Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why Sideshow changed their minds on this one? Very curious about this about-face. Why the switch from LSF to PF?

(I'm NOT complaining, mind you! I'm actually very happy about this!)

But I'm still very curious about their reasons.

Was it because of collectors grousing about the $2K pricetag on the LSFs? Or maybe the LSF line isn't selling as well as they'd hoped? Or were orders for the Ringwraith on Steed PF more brisk than they anticipated, leading them to believe that an expensive-ish PF would ultimately be more profitable? (Lower price, but more units sold.)

Curiouser and curiouser ...

the key item for me is whether the cape is sculpted (like the weta version) or some crappy cloth.

if it's sculpted with a nice ex, i might have to get it /sigh

I wonder why Sideshow changed their minds on this one? Very curious about this about-face. Why the switch from LSF to PF?

(I'm NOT complaining, mind you! I'm actually very happy about this!)

But I'm still very curious about their reasons.

Was it because of collectors grousing about the $2K pricetag on the LSFs? Or maybe the LSF line isn't selling as well as they'd hoped? Or were orders for the Ringwraith on Steed PF more brisk than they anticipated, leading them to believe that an expensive-ish PF would ultimately be more profitable? (Lower price, but more units sold.)

Curiouser and curiouser ...

I think since this statue is a true 1/4 scale and if they released it as a legendary figure, there would be no way they'd be able to release one as a PF which would piss off the PF fanbase unless they just changed up the pose but it wouldn't make sense if the two figures were the same size with two very different prices; Plus I also suspect the Dark Rider sales weren't as high as they'd hope as LOTR isn't as popular as other licenses like Marvel, Star Wars so to be safe, they switched Sauron to a PF (tho this is just a complete guess on my part)

I think since this statue is a true 1/4 scale and if they released it as a legendary figure, there would be no way they'd be able to release one as a PF which would piss off the PF fanbase unless they just changed up the pose but it wouldn't make sense if the two figures were the same size with two very different prices; Plus I also suspect the Dark Rider sales weren't as high as they'd hope as LOTR isn't as popular as other licenses like Marvel, Star Wars so to be safe, they switched Sauron to a PF (tho this is just a complete guess on my part)

that sounds like a bingo. I bet the RWOS order aren't as high as they thought, so they figured a LSF Sauron at the same size, and a $2k price tag would do horrible. They could do a new Sauron for the maquette line, but it would be hard to beat the Weta version at that scale.

that sounds like a bingo. I bet the RWOS order aren't as high as they thought, so they figured a LSF Sauron at the same size, and a $2k price tag would do horrible. They could do a new Sauron for the maquette line, but it would be hard to beat the Weta version at that scale.

What if the orders are great for RWOS and they want to keep the ball rolling with whats hot with collectors?

What if the orders are great for RWOS and they want to keep the ball rolling with whats hot with collectors?

That's what I was wondering.

I would think the success of the PF line is measured (straight forwardly) by the profitability that comes from the number of units sold.

But I would think the success of the LSF line also is guaged somewhat by a "prestige" factor. Since they aren't likely to sell large numbers of them.

So perhaps -- if the RWOS is selling well -- maybe they saw an opportunity to sell a larger number of pieces, that also look very impressive. Best of both worlds?

Total guesswork, of course. :dunno

just personal taste, i always want full sculpt so it looks more like a statue. For the $300s pf can live with some cloth if done well like the lara pf or the capt america pf.

But for those big/expensive statues, having a giant cloth cloak/cape just doesnt suit my taste. That's why i didnt order rwos which is just a giant black cloth on a horse. Still have to see the full reveal for saruon, but if his cape is fully clothed it's a pass for me, as that's a big part of the statue.

101% the Sauron PF will have a cloth cape.

So looks like you'll be saving money.:wink1:

just personal taste, i always want full sculpt so it looks more like a statue. For the $300s pf can live with some cloth if done well like the lara pf or the capt america pf.

But for those big/expensive statues, having a giant cloth cloak/cape just doesnt suit my taste. That's why i didnt order rwos which is just a giant black cloth on a horse. Still have to see the full reveal for saruon, but if his cape is fully clothed it's a pass for me, as that's a big part of the statue.

Haha I was googling Sauron pics to see where the cloth was on his armour and then stumbled across this:

1335329056-a-for-effort.jpg

Best costume ever :lol

i agree. i think dolls and their clothes should remain on the dolls, and statues should be sculpted entirely ... however, my blackbeard and vlad pf's are impressive pieces with the clothing detail, so it's an objective selection on how to mix the media on these i suppose. good thing with sauron is he's mostly made of armour so i can only assume to see more of that than his cape in the back. regardless, can't wait to see!

Back