Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like he went out for his high school senior pictures and they asked him to pose in front of mount doom..... It's a little too "strike a pose" for my taste but I am sure SS will no doubt impress non the less.

042511sauron.jpg

Its basically the pose that the SSW statue had and something I guarantee SS would not copy since it was done once.

vlcsnap-2011-06-16-00h17m51s205.png
1136038183.jpg

I think you're wasting your time Josh.....most all of us know exactly which scene the SSW Sauron pose is based on though clearly some are having a hard time figuring that out. :lol

Last edited:
Its basically the pose that the SSW statue had and something I guarantee SS would not copy since it was done once.

Well a movie pose is fine, this statue is a different scale from the original anyways. Just like the Ringwraith on steed. If you take into account every single pose done in statue form ever, there are quite a few especially with the smaller statues done in Europe, and there are only so many iconic poses. For instance the Spidey PF and the Spiderman comiquette, both great pieces and similar poses that both sold really well and are now sought after in the secondary market. The Ringwraith on Steed is another one that may look similar to a 1:1 done before. I think if enough originality is done in the detailing and it's from a movie screen capture anyways you could even get a more accurate Sauron PF to the one from screen. Even the many representations of the Hulk have many similarities in statue form because he has a number of popular poses in the comics.

If you take into account the number of sculpts with Superman flying, his arms on hips or crossed then..............

Make the best possible representation of the character possible that fans like. Don't try to think too much outside the box and make it awkward just so it's different like the Morgul Lord disaster. It's a different statue and a different scale anyways. That's why the Ringwraith on Steed PF WIPs shine.

Iconic poses ftw!

It's a different scale and format anyways.

Last edited:
The reason the RWOS pose is looking more based off a 1:1 piece and not the SSW statue is not to copy an already made piece. Hence what they are doing with Sauron. Not copying an already made piece. None of SS other stuff is the same pose as previously made LOTR pieces so again they're not gonna redo or minor tweak an already made piece. The Spidey pieces are highly wanted on the secondary market because of their ES and people want to get them to flip.

The ML is just fine in person. :dunno Looked good at Comic-Con I thought.

Well even if they don't choose to go with that awesome screencap, there are lots of cool iconic poses of Sauron : )

The reason the RWOS pose is looking more based off a 1:1 piece and not the SSW statue is not to copy an already made piece. Hence what they are doing with Sauron. Not copying an already made piece. None of SS other stuff is the same pose as previously made LOTR pieces so again they're not gonna redo or minor tweak an already made piece. The Spidey pieces are highly wanted on the secondary market because of their ES and people want to get them to flip.

Maybe it's just me Josh, but other than the Spider-Man PF and maquette sharing the obligatory crouching pose for which he is so well known, I don't see a whole lot of similarity in the two pieces. :dunno And even if there were very similar we are talking about the same licensor [Marvel] and the same licensee [Sideshow]. In the case of SS copying the designs of previous SSW collectibles we are talking about the same licensor [New Line] and different licensees [Sideshow and Weta].......and that is a whole new ballgame. Sideshow, as part of their 1/6 scale maquette license was forbidden to use [thankfully!] the generic black bases previously created by Weta due to copyright infringement laws and if anyone thinks SS has the legal right to copy previous Weta statue designs.....they are dreaming. SS wouldn't get past New Lines conceptual art design process if they tried to pull that stunt. But even if SS did have the ability to copy another companies work....does anyone really believe they would do it? :confused: I don't think so :nono The simple truth is no legitimate artist wants to copy the work of others...all artists want to create their own designs, and put their own "stamp" on their work....and that's pretty difficult to do when you're copying someone else. :lecture

And you're right, the ML PF looks just fine. It's not the pose I would have selected, but SS has already alluded to the fact the 'ultimate' ML pose may be incorpoated in the future ML maquette and that is fine with me. Personally, I cannot think of anything more pointless than SS producing a ML PF and maquette featuring the same pose....but that's just me. :lol

A 1:1 piece is an already made piece, someone made it hence it is already made. If they did the Sauron from the screenshot it would be off the movie screenshot not an already made piece, you can draw a dozen landscapes off the same view/picture and it would look different. Spidey pieces are highly sought after because he is well done and a popular character not just to flip. ML pose could have been much better, I have it in person it still looks strange. Have you seen Infecdead's custom with tweaked pose? It beats it by a mile.

You can take a movie screenshot and make many statues off it, just like there are tons of comic statues based off Jim Lee's batman on gargoyle. It's a statue with a pose inspired from the source material.

Last edited:
Well even if they don't choose to go with that awesome screencap, there are lots of cool iconic poses of Sauron : )

Sauron really only has one iconic pose if you want to go that route. You could go with something from the Battle of the LA I suppose if you wanted to add more.

Maybe it's just me Josh, but other than the Spider-Man PF and maquette sharing the obligatory crouching pose for which he is so well known, I don't see a whole lot of similarity in the two pieces. :dunno And even if there were very similar we are talking about the same licensor [Marvel] and the same licensee [Sideshow]. In the case of SS copying the designs of previous SSW collectibles we are talking about the same licensor [New Line] and different licensees [Sideshow and Weta].......and that is a whole new ballgame. Sideshow, as part of their 1/6 scale maquette license was forbidden to use [thankfully!] the generic black bases previously created by Weta due to copyright infringement laws and if anyone thinks SS has the legal right to copy previous Weta statue designs.....they are dreaming. SS wouldn't get past New Lines conceptual art design process if they tried to pull that stunt. But even if SS did have the ability to copy another companies work....does anyone really believe they would do it? :confused: I don't think so :nono The simple truth is no legitimate artist wants to copy the work of others...all artists want to create their own designs, and put their own "stamp" on their work....and that's pretty difficult to do when you're copying someone else. :lecture

And you're right, the ML PF looks just fine. It's not the pose I would have selected, but SS has already alluded to the fact the 'ultimate' ML pose may be incorpoated in the future ML maquette and that is fine with me. Personally, I cannot think of anything more pointless than SS producing a ML PF and maquette featuring the same pose....but that's just me. :lol

Right its a different ballgame when you look at the two types of pieces. Agreed they would not get past the powers that be if they went with the same thing, and I don't know of any artist that would want to copy someone elses work.

I can't wait to see what they do for a ML maquette. Should be pretty damn cool.

A 1:1 piece is an already made piece.

Its not the same as what you're trying to use here. Plus we don't know if it will match up to that and I doubt it does exactly.

Sauron really only has one iconic pose if you want to go that route. You could go with something from the Battle of the LA I suppose if you wanted to add more.

Not really, you could have him swinging his mace of the grabbing pose with the ring in his hand, he has a lot of iconic poses.

Its not the same as what you're trying to use here. Plus we don't know if it will match up to that and I doubt it does exactly.

Not sure what you mean by that, an already made piece is a piece in existence made by someone and that's exactly what I am trying to use. No one says the Sauron must match up exactly, just inspired by that screenshot, the mace in the other hand ALREADY differs.

Maybe it's just me Josh, but other than the Spider-Man PF and maquette sharing the obligatory crouching pose for which he is so well known, I don't see a whole lot of similarity in the two pieces.

Sort of like the obligatory Sauron pose from the movie. Spidey has been drawn for years, and as a huge spidey fan, I can assure you he has more 'obligatory' crouching poses as well as non-crouching poses.

7146_press01-001.jpg
200065_press08-001.jpg

Other crouching/etc poses:

175092-194969-spider-man_super.jpg
spiderman.gif
11737762.jpg
Spiderman1cover.jpg

Last edited:
Not really, you could have him swinging his mace of the grabbing pose with the ring in his hand, he has a lot of iconic poses.

No, I'm sorry but I don't think many long time ringer fans would agree with you. Sauron has one iconic "pose" moment and thats in that screen cap. The others are just options.

Not sure what you mean by that, an already made piece is a piece in existence made by someone and that's exactly what I am trying to use. No one says the Sauron must match up exactly, just inspired by that screenshot, the mace in the other hand ALREADY differs.

Yes, its a piece in existence but its not copying an already made licensed statue. As I said though I doubt the RWOS PF copies that mannequin exactly.

They're doing something different and giving us another look at Sauron. Its something as a at this point long time ringer I don't mind as I think Jerry's print is amazing and think if people are open minded the PF will be as much so in person.

No, I'm sorry but I don't think many long time ringer fans would agree with you. Sauron has one iconic "pose" moment and thats in that screen cap. The others are just options.

Here's a pretty iconic one imo. Plus the fact that there are tons of exiting iconic art of Sauron not in the movie that could be used. : )

The_Dark_Lord_Sauron.jpg

Yes, its a piece in existence but its not copying an already made licensed statue. As I said though I doubt the RWOS PF copies that mannequin exactly.

Ah ok you clarified yourself, not sure but I think they probably had a licence to produce and display that 1:1 or they could have been sued.

Exactly my point bro, Sauron in the screencap does not match up wit the SSW one exactly either, sans the mace for instance.

Last edited:
Here's a pretty iconic one imo. Plus the fact that there are tons of exiting iconic art of Sauron not in the movie that could be used. : )

The_Dark_Lord_Sauron.jpg

The problem with that is I would guess he's starting to lean over and that would not make for a good pose. I get what you're trying for though. As far as using stuff from the Art not in the movie they did that here. :)

My guess is this PF will have a tweak or two that not exactly matching the art.

Ah ok you clarified yourself, not sure but I think they probably had a licence to produce and display that 1:1 or they could have been sued.

Exactly my point bro, Sauron in the screencap does not match up wit the SSW one exactly either, sans the mace for instance.

It was made by either Sideshow or Weta so they had license to do so. What I'm saying is its not a licensed statue and the RWOS doesn't match up with that. Both items are totally different. Just like I expect the PF and the SSW piece will be.

Like I said I don't think the Sauron will go with the screen cap because the SSW matches for the most part. My guess is that this PF will not match "exactly" the art by Jerry but be close.

In the end I think when folks see Sauron in 3D people will really like what we get. I honestly do not care at all that it doesn't match that screen cap.

In the end I think when folks see Sauron in 3D people will really like what we get. I honestly do not care at all that it doesn't match that screen cap.

Well I hope it shows Sauron in all his evil glory, I want it to have a pose that looks dark and chilling with a sense of malice and power behind it just like those screenshots. You could practically feel his power radiating out from those poses.

Well I hope it shows Sauron in all his evil glory, I want it to have a pose that looks dark and chilling with a sense of malice and power behind it just like those screenshots. You could practically feel his power radiating out from those poses.

I think you very much get that in the print. I really do. I think in the PF as I said there will be a tweak or two that helps it translate even better into 3D.

I think you very much get that in the print. I really do. I think in the PF as I said there will be a tweak or two that helps it translate even better into 3D.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree, it looks more like he is kicking back and relaxing.

042511sauron.jpg
The_Dark_Lord_Sauron.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-16-00h17m51s205.png

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree, it looks more like he is kicking back and relaxing.

Then we have to agree to disagree. Its subtle between head angle, Mt. Doom, Barad-Dur, etc. Its all there I guess its up the the viewer to see that and feel that.

Yeah, as I've said before if comments that are made are not constructive we will continue to run off the artists that want to share their work. The LOTR section over my time here has almost always been the section were we had almost nobody act l this way.

Yeah, as I've said before if comments that are made are not constructive we will continue to run off the artists that want to share their work. The LOTR section over my time here has almost always been the section were we had almost nobody act l this way.

Exactly right Josh. Unfortuntely, between this and the anti-SS rhetoric that seems to be more prevalent than ever before, this section seems to be spiralling out of control....:dunno

Back