Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the artwork, but it raises the question where the heck is Sauron going in that picture? The story it tells is confusing. Why venture out for a stroll on a tiny ledge so far from Barad-Dur? Sauron kinda seems like a homebody to me. :dunno

You're right! He's got Middle Earth Vision (better than cable), why leave the house? :lol

How is it different, apart from the knife instead of the mace? :lol

Exactly. :exactly:

Personally I love the pose from the artwork. What's wrong with something different? :dunno

There's nothing wrong with going with something different. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it's also a shortcut that requires no artistic creativity. The SSW Sauron statue is excellent and if that's the pose someone desires then by all means they should go out and buy one. But to date, SS has not even remotely tried to copy the poses of the former SSW line, nor do I expect them to do so in the future.

It amazes me that this company doesn't see these issues the way, we, there customers do.

It amazes me that people have no understanding of copyright infringement laws, or the final approval process SS has to go through for each and every LOTR licenced product.

Originally Posted by Entropy
I love the artwork, but it raises the question where the heck is Sauron going in that picture? The story it tells is confusing. Why venture out for a stroll on a tiny ledge so far from Barad-Dur? Sauron kinda seems like a homebody to me.

If Sauron were a "homebody", he would not have marched out in war in the first place as was seen in film One prologue. A homebody doesn't need armour either if one stays locked up in a tower all day long with no intent to go outside and play with the Elves and Numenorians :lecture

Even Sauron needs to make personal inspection of his own borders, because his own officers are not loyal followers, but slaves. Can He trust them? Nope. In my artwork, Sauron is simply surveying the land after another futile attempt to defeat this Dark Lord.

JV

Originally Posted by Entropy
I love the artwork, but it raises the question where the heck is Sauron going in that picture? The story it tells is confusing. Why venture out for a stroll on a tiny ledge so far from Barad-Dur? Sauron kinda seems like a homebody to me.

If Sauron were a "homebody", he would not have marched out in war in the first place as was seen in film One prologue. A homebody doesn't need armour either if one stays locked up in a tower all day long with no intent to go outside and play with the Elves and Numenorians :lecture

Even Sauron needs to make personal inspection of his own borders, because his own officers are not loyal followers, but slaves. Can He trust them? Nope. In my artwork, Sauron is simply surveying the land after another futile attempt to defeat this Dark Lord.

JV

And all along I thought the artwork was of Sauron taking his Pomeranian for a dump.....:monkey3 Thanks for the clarification Jerry! :rotfl

It amazes me that people have no understanding of copyright infringement laws, or the final approval process SS has to go through for each and every LOTR licenced product.

It doesn't amaze me anymore. Plenty of people think doing this is as simple as just do it my way. Plus if SS used basically the same pose as the statue they'd sell less of them because folks would go it looks like something I got already.

I got the impression that the prologue battle was on the slopes of Mt. Doom, basically Sauron's front porch, the equivalent of 'get off my lawn you punk kids' rather than any journey of great length. But it is an interesting interpretation picturing him traipsing about for miles and miles, scaling cliffs, inspecting borders, stomping on skulls and whatnot.

I got the impression that the prologue battle was on the slopes of Mt. Doom, basically Sauron's front porch, the equivalent of 'get off my lawn you punk kids' rather than any journey of great length. But it is an interesting interpretation picturing him traipsing about for miles and miles, scaling cliffs, inspecting borders, stomping on skulls and whatnot.

Look again at the prologue portion of FOTR. Suaron is indeed at the base of Mt. Doom, which is still at least 6 -10 miles away from Barad-dur, so either way, he's not a step away from "home" so to speak. In my artwork, Sauron is well within the region of what we saw on film.

JV

It doesn't amaze me anymore. Plenty of people think doing this is as simple as just do it my way. Plus if SS used basically the same pose as the statue they'd sell less of them because folks would go it looks like something I got already.

Oh I know. Not only would SS be vilified by many for copying another companies work, but those who already own the SSW version would be less likely to buy something that looks similar to something they already own. And for those who don't own the SSW version, which one do you think it more likely they pick up if the two look similar in nature?....the SS version or the SSW version at a fraction of the cost. :cuckoo: I guess it's true, SS doesn't look at things the way some collectors do.....perhaps because they'd prefer to stay in business. :lol

And you're right, most people are oblivious to the hoops SS have to jump through in regard to New Line's approval process. Most of the delays we see have nothing to do with Chinese production and everything to do with changes SS are forced to make in order to get final approval. :lecture

most people are oblivious to the hoops SS have to jump through in regard to New Line's approval process. Most of the delays we see have nothing to do with Chinese production and everything to do with changes SS are forced to make in order to get final approval. :lecture

You are so right woodsy...so many great LOTR pieces have been undermined by the hoops SS have to jump through to get New Line approval...but such is the way of things I'm afraid.

:duff
Bill

Look again at the prologue portion of FOTR. Suaron is indeed at the base of Mt. Doom, which is still at least 6 -10 miles away from Barad-dur, so either way, he's not a step away from "home" so to speak. In my artwork, Sauron is well within the region of what we saw on film.

JV

saw it again and they are literally at the base of the volcano. It was only at the end of the 7 yr siege of barad-dur that sauron emerged from his fortress, presumably walking the distance from BD to Doom, and had his ass handed to him.

Doesn't mean he didn't inspect his estate from time to time during the second age, pacing its borders like a caged animal. But like Denethor, personally wandering and inspecting his land is not how I generally picture his activities. :duff

Last edited:
You are so right woodsy...so many great LOTR pieces have been undermined by the hoops SS have to jump through to get New Line approval...but such is the way of things I'm afraid.

:duff
Bill

You know, on occasion I get as frustrated as the next guy when it comes to SS's decision-making, but that frustration pales in comparison to what SS goes through sometimes in order to get final approval. In a perfect world SS would be able to do whatever they want within the LOTR licence, but in reality it is New Line, not SS, that are "calling the shots" and have the final say.

While I love JV's artwork...the coloring, detail, and everything seems very impressive, ther is obviously some quirky slightness to the left leg. However, once translated into a 3D sculpt, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. I also don't think SS will COPY the artwork EXACTLY...they will add their own flare to this piece as well. Plus...the idea of an exclusive will be worked in as well.

Personally I am hoping that they incorporate some lighted feature like Gandalf and make the Lava PULSE and GLOW red and orange (and even the One Ring).

Oh I know. Not only would SS be vilified by many for copying another companies work, but those who already own the SSW version would be less likely to buy something that looks similar to something they already own. And for those who don't own the SSW version, which one do you think it more likely they pick up if the two look similar in nature?....the SS version or the SSW version at a fraction of the cost. :cuckoo: I guess it's true, SS doesn't look at things the way some collectors do.....perhaps because they'd prefer to stay in business. :lol

And you're right, most people are oblivious to the hoops SS have to jump through in regard to New Line's approval process. Most of the delays we see have nothing to do with Chinese production and everything to do with changes SS are forced to make in order to get final approval. :lecture

Its like you said we all want to see things come out the way "we" want but in the end there is only so much SS, HT, GG, etc can do within what the licensor will allow.

Doesn't mean he didn't inspect his estate from time to time during the second age, pacing its borders like a caged animal. But like Denethor, personally wandering and inspecting his land is not how I generally picture his activities. :duff

I agree, there will be only one Sauron PF made for a while and I want to see him with awe and a malice showing his true power.

Don't have a pastoral scene gazing around talking a walk.

I just watched the extended blu ray version of FOTR, and I mean no offence to the artwork that is supposed to be inspiring this PF, but I think SS should have gone with this image. It shows off the ring of power, is different from the SSW pose and is screen inspired. I kind of feel like the setting being on the side of a mountain and Sauron looking kinda casual is not dynamic enough. I mean is it supposed to be the dark lord and owner of the one ring of power? I look at the artwork and see a pomeranian where the end of the mace should be and some dude in armour standing like his dog isn't taking a dump.
Not sure where the top of the the mace disappears to in the screen cap tho?
It is probably too late but please SS make the PF off the screen cap pose.

vlcsnap-2011-06-16-00h17m51s205.png

vs

042511sauron.jpg

That screen cap looks great for a Sauron pose.

Back