Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Sideshows press release regarding the new Legendary Scale Figure line: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=35929

Specifically:

"The Legendary Scale(TM) brand allows the artists at Sideshow the freedom necessary to explore monstrously large characters, like Neytiri from Avatar and Sauron from The Lord of the Rings, in a large-scale size that still comfortably lends itself to display in a home or office environment."

So it seems Sauron may be part of this new large scale line, and since the figures appear to be roughly the same size regardless of scale, that would allow Sauron to come in just under 1/4 scale, but still be massive. Sounds good to me.

This is still one I will NOT be passing on. :rock:rock

Nice find! :clap I guess that explains what SS was talking about in this previous Q&A : :lecture

Monday Jan.10/2011

Question : Is there any possibility of a Sauron Premium Format and/or a Saruman? I was unfortunate enough to miss all of your previous Sauron products because I just recently discovered Sideshow.

Answer : Yup. Saruman and Sauron have just officially graduated from the candidate list to the confirmed, planned, product line-up for 2012. We’ll be collaborating with Jerry Vanderstelt on Sauron, who may or may not end up “officially” in the PF classification, but will be BIG.

I'm sure it's more expensive for Sideshow to produce the larger scale statues ... and math has never been my strong suit ...

But can it really be ...

... double the size of the PF ... increase price 4.5 times? :thud:

Cuz that stings a bit. :(

Say goodbye to $1600/$2000 Anubis :rotfl

Oh wait i'll have to pay that as well:(

:lol I know mate, but I have no doubt he will be stunning and worth it.

Also, i'm gonna be really interested to see what Maul/Obi are priced at, as Iron Man/Neytiri/Endo ect, all had Stan Winston/Legacy attached to them. Star Wars and Marvel won't. I don't know how much of a difference that will make though?

Nice find! :clap I guess that explains what SS was talking about in this previous Q&A : :lecture

Yup. That leaves no doubt in my mind that Sauron will be a LSF. :lecture

I will be interested in the base as well, presumably the standard PF base will be kept for continuity? I hope so.

All I know is if Sauron looks as good as the 4 LSF's SS revealed today, we are all in for quite a treat.....and a really expensive one at that!

I'm sure it's more expensive for Sideshow to produce the larger scale statues ... and math has never been my strong suit ...

But can it really be ...

... double the size of the PF ... increase price 4.5 times? :thud:

Cuz that stings a bit. :(

I don't think they will make it that much bigger. They're probably putting it in the Legendary line because it won't specifically be 1/4th scale or 1/2 scale

They did say centrepiece, and i'm not going to argue. :lol

And like you say, if the previewed ones are anything to go by, he should be incredible! :rock

I don't think they will make it that much bigger. They're probably putting it in the Legendary line because it won't specifically be 1/4th scale or 1/2 scale

I think they confirmed that he's going to be nearly three feet tall, didn't they? If memory serves he's about 32 inches, spats to spikes. And that doesn't include a base.

So that would make him roughly twice the size of a normal PF. (That's what I meant by "double the size".)

And as a member of the Legendary Scale line, I can't see why they'd price him dramatically lower than the other pieces.

Great. I've gone and made myself sad.

:(

I think they confirmed that he's going to be nearly three feet tall, didn't they? If memory serves he's about 32 inches, spats to spikes. And that doesn't include a base.

So that would make him roughly twice the size of a normal PF. (That's what I meant by "double the size".)

And as a member of the Legendary Scale line, I can't see why they'd price him dramatically lower than the other pieces.

Great. I've gone and made myself sad.

:(

No, you've made us all sad. :( :wink1:

Bucky, I hope that your algebra doesn't appply here, as the size will be double that of some Premium Format figures, but in some cases only 12 inches higher. I hope that the price is less than the Winston Legacy pieces have been, and will be closer to only double the price of a PF. If not, I would have a hard time justifying buying Sauron.:(

This is a great SDCC first night from Sideshow... now I'm going to have to double my work load and sell some organs and I'm all set for 2012 when all this goodness arrives!

With prices creeping upwards, I think I would have to seriously consider my collection. Do I want a new Sauron Statue, or do I want a new fridge or cabinets in our kitchen? I am not kidding, but with these price points, I might have to switch gears to the maquette line and just go for the Fellowship members as Premium Formats. It wouldn't be bad to impose an artificial limit on the collection, but this would seriously change my collecting habits.

With prices creeping upwards, I think I would have to seriously consider my collection. Do I want a new Sauron Statue, or do I want a new fridge or cabinets in our kitchen? I am not kidding, but with these price points, I might have to switch gears to the maquette line and just go for the Fellowship members as Premium Formats. It wouldn't be bad to impose an artificial limit on the collection, but this would seriously change my collecting habits.

Seriously with all of this hub bub is it any wonder that things like the Black Orc PF seem to be languishing a bit. I may have missed this somewhere but there is currently no indication that LOTR will receive treatment in this new line is there? If so I hope they stick with Sauron and leave it at that. If not, then owners of the PF line should be miffed a bit I guess. Hell skip 1:2 and go straight to 1:1 since bigger=better seems to be the trend these days. Hell go to 2:1 while we're at it. I wonder where the scale limitation is, price point as well. I think 1:2 is a bit ridiculous really. It seems a bit decadent. Oh well its still cool to see what they are up to.

Seriously with all of this hub bub is it any wonder that things like the Black Orc PF seem to be languishing a bit. I may have missed this somewhere but there is currently no indication that LOTR will receive treatment in this new line is there? If so I hope they stick with Sauron and leave it at that. If not, then owners of the PF line should be miffed a bit I guess. Hell skip 1:2 and go straight to 1:1 since bigger=better seems to be the trend these days. Hell go to 2:1 while we're at it. I wonder where the scale limitation is, price point as well. I think 1:2 is a bit ridiculous really. It seems a bit decadent. Oh well its still cool to see what they are up to.

:goodpost: Well said. I personally don't need to be greeted by the entire cast of my favorite movie every time I walk in the house. Kinda borderline creepy...

According to Sideshows press release regarding the new Legendary Scale Figure line: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=35929

Specifically:

"The Legendary Scale(TM) brand allows the artists at Sideshow the freedom necessary to explore monstrously large characters, like Neytiri from Avatar and Sauron from The Lord of the Rings, in a large-scale size that still comfortably lends itself to display in a home or office environment."

So it seems Sauron may be part of this new large scale line, and since the figures appear to be roughly the same size regardless of scale, that would allow Sauron to come in just under 1/4 scale, but still be massive. Sounds good to me.

According to SS Sauron absolutely is a part of the new line, and these are not necessarily 1/2 scale. Sauron will actually be just under 1/4 scale and it appears that all of these statues will be somewhere in the 30-42" range so the scales will be all over the place. As for decadence...I don't know, I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. Some people might think spending $4500 apiece for bronze statues is decadent. :wink1:

According to SS Sauron absolutely is a part of the new line, and these are not necessarily 1/2 scale. Sauron will actually be just under 1/4 scale and it appears that all of these statues will be somewhere in the 30-42" range so the scales will be all over the place. As for decadence...I don't know, I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. Some people might think spending $4500 apiece for bronze statues is decadent. :wink1:

Yeah maybe. I guess its the nature of the beast that the natural evolution here is to up the size ante. There is a ceiling though (literally and figuratively) so then what? I'm sure the pros will come up with something but I think I'd prefer energy going into things like real metal armor and other such quality issues rather than just size. I know size allows for detail but so far it appears less emphasis is being placed on materials.

So, would people prefer a 4.5 foot all poly Sauron, or a 2.5 foot Sauron with real chainmail, etc. (assuming both were the same high price point)?

PS: a small bronze, while expensive is not decadent to me. A massive wolverine statue, while a boy's dream, seems a bit excessive. To each their own I suppose.

Yeah maybe. I guess its the nature of the beast that the natural evolution here is to up the size ante. There is a ceiling though (literally and figuratively) so then what? I'm sure the pros will come up with something but I think I'd prefer energy going into things like real metal armor and other such quality issues rather than just size. I know size allows for detail but so far it appears less emphasis is being placed on materials.

So, would people prefer a 4.5 foot all poly Sauron, or a 2.5 foot Sauron with real chainmail, etc. (assuming both were the same high price point)?

PS: a small bronze, while expensive is not decadent to me. A massive wolverine statue, while a boy's dream, seems a bit excessive. To each their own I suppose.

Personally, I think we'll hit that ceiling in the next year or two when the US and European economies self-destruct and people's only concern will be how to put enough food on the table......:dunno

Back