Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, they did use a actor in a suit of armor. On top of that, they had two suits, one was made of metal, and the other some lighter material. For closeups I think they used the metal suit, but when there were extras around during the battle scenes they used the safer lightweight suit. Think of it, metal suit, lots of metal spikes, clumsy actors...:panic::panic::panic:

Yeah, they had a guy in the suit. The actors name was Sala Baker and he also played the ML for sure.

thanks for the pics Woodsy, never seen most of those either. Even just standing in a museum pose like in the pics, he would look awesome as a pf. Even if the pf is out of my price range, I'm glad I know someone that I can get the SSW piece on the cheap. The skinny legs don't bother me so much anymore.

It is the big head of sauron's thats making the legs look skinny. Take away the head and you'll see that the leg armor and body is actually in proportion.

Oh and black is a slimming colour too. :D

If I remember correctly, they did use a actor in a suit of armor. On top of that, they had two suits, one was made of metal, and the other some lighter material. For closeups I think they used the metal suit, but when there were extras around during the battle scenes they used the safer lightweight suit. Think of it, metal suit, lots of metal spikes, clumsy actors...:panic::panic::panic:

You are correct and as has been mentioned already, Sala Baker was the actor/stuntman who portrayed Sauron in the films. You are also correct in that two sets of armour were made, an all metal suit for close-ups and a lighter non-metal suit that Sala used for principal filming. Sala is just over 6" tall and I believe the two sets of armour produced by Weta were in the 7-7 1/2' range.

sauron15.jpg
sauron10.jpg
sauron8.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing Woodsy. But this reminds me, wasn't Sauron always CGI in the movies?

No, Sauron was a combination of both real armour/actor, and enhanced CGI. And it looks like the SSW Sauron statue is a combination of all three version's. It features the overall slimness [including the chicken legs] of the all metal armour [middle image], and the significantly shorter chainmail groin guard of Sala's wearable suit [far left]. And since both of the suits made by Weta were in the 7-7 1/2 ' range clearly the scale of the SSW statue is based on the CGI version of Sauron. The girth [stomach/legs] of the CGI version also seems to much more closely resemble Sala's wearable suit than it does the all metal suit and the statue. Personally, I would have preferred it if Weta had just stuck with the CGI version as that is the one everyone is most familiar with.

sauron10.jpg
sauron1.jpg
1136038183.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-06-16-00h17m51s205.png

No, Sauron was a combination of both real armour/actor, and enhanced CGI. And it looks like the SSW Sauron statue is a combination of all three version's. It features the overall slimness [including the chicken legs] of the all metal armour [middle image], and the significantly shorter chainmail groin guard of Sala's wearable suit [far left]. And since both of the suits made by Weta were in the 7-7 1/2 ' range clearly the scale of the SSW statue is based on the CGI version of Sauron. The girth [stomach/legs] of the CGI version also seems to much more closely resemble Sala's wearable suit than it does the all metal suit and the statue. Personally, I would have preferred it if Weta had just stuck with the CGI version as that is the one everyone is most familiar with.

sauron10.jpg
sauron1.jpg
1136038183.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-06-16-00h17m51s205.png

:goodpost: Nice pics, I love all those poses! I hope SS comes up with something like any of those!

Great shots Woodsy :clap, I knew you would be the man to produce the goods. Thanks for sharing mate.

:duff
Bill
p.s. my Sauron image bank has just considerably increased in size :wink1:.

Great shots Woodsy :clap, I knew you would be the man to produce the goods. Thanks for sharing mate.

:duff
Bill
p.s. my Sauron image bank has just considerably increased in size :wink1:.

Glad I could help Bill :lol

I currently have $214.85 in my reward points so far that will be going towards this whenever it comes out. I have another $184.35 pending. That will take the sting out of the hefty price tag this might have.

I currently have $214.85 in my reward points so far that will be going towards this whenever it comes out. I have another $184.35 pending. That will take the sting out of the hefty price tag this might have.

I have just over $400 in rewards, some pending. But I was also planning putting it all to this PF. Sure will help.

:lecture

Planning to do that very thing myself. Though, I might use them on the Ringwraith on Steed PF ... whichever ends up getting released first!

According to Sideshows press release regarding the new Legendary Scale Figure line: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=35929

Specifically:

"The Legendary Scale(TM) brand allows the artists at Sideshow the freedom necessary to explore monstrously large characters, like Neytiri from Avatar and Sauron from The Lord of the Rings, in a large-scale size that still comfortably lends itself to display in a home or office environment."

So it seems Sauron may be part of this new large scale line, and since the figures appear to be roughly the same size regardless of scale, that would allow Sauron to come in just under 1/4 scale, but still be massive. Sounds good to me.

This is still one I will NOT be passing on. :rock:rock

Back