Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But did any takeover a year? This is Sauron. The bad guy in a popular franchise. Maybe the price and the orange paint turned many buyers off. I really like mine and it sure is an attention getter in a collection.

Yeah, I'd say several of them did. Quick sellout a don't guarantee much long term as it has worked both ways. In sure there are several things why some did or did not get this. It's one of the top pieces in my collection I know that.

But did any takeover a year? This is Sauron. The bad guy in a popular franchise. Maybe the price and the orange paint turned many buyers off. I really like mine and it sure is an attention getter in a collection.

He is also $900 and larger than any other PF so display options are a factor also. They also still have the proto pics up on the site that don't look as good as the final product.

Finally got around to posting some picks of Sauron.

Here's a couple from my office right after unpacking him a couple weeks ago:

View attachment 109293
View attachment 109294

I was going through some pics of my collection over the years and came across this:

-2006-

View attachment 109296

It's kind of funny how my current set up ended up coincidentally mirroring it.

-2014-

View attachment 109299

Here's a newb-to-LOTR-statue question: are there two Sauron statues by Weta/Sideshow? One with his right arm extended, and one with his right arm lowered? Are they both the same scale/height?

Which is better?

Here's a newb-to-LOTR-statue question: are there two Sauron statues by Weta/Sideshow? One with his right arm extended, and one with his right arm lowered? Are they both the same scale/height?

Which is better?

Sideshow / Weta made a Sauron statue back in 05. It's 1/6 scale and it's the one with the ring arm raised. Sideshow recently released the Premium Format which is 1/4 scale and has both arms lowered.
Personally I wish the Weta one was 1/4 cos I hate the pose of the PF with a passion. I prefer the Weta paint scheme too. But as far as presence on a shelf goes bigger is better even if the statue is posed like a feminine girly man and not the Dark Lord.

Sideshow / Weta made a Sauron statue back in 05. It's 1/6 scale and it's the one with the ring arm raised. Sideshow recently released the Premium Format which is 1/4 scale and has both arms lowered.
Personally I wish the Weta one was 1/4 cos I hate the pose of the PF with a passion. I prefer the Weta paint scheme too. But as far as presence on a shelf goes bigger is better even if the statue is posed like a feminine girly man and not the Dark Lord.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. I'd like to find the 1/6th version myself.

You can't go wrong with either but I'd go for the PF first. Overall, I think it's the definitive version of Sauron. I also disagree about the pose. In person it's quite impressive and just helps make the piece pop.

sauronsidefigur-cb175222.jpgstatue-sauron-1-4-premium-sideshow.jpg

Thanks guys.

I like them both, but I was looking for something that could represent the character amidst my 1/6th collection, so the new PF would simply be too tall. I'm not sure I actually have room for the 24" version as it is.

I think both poses have their pluses and minuses. I actually like the "orange glow" paintwork on the PF, at least in photos it looks nice. The old statue is a bit static to me with the straight leg pose. And I'm really on the fence with a real cloth cape versus a sculpted one.

Asmus' spokesman has said that they plan to make an articulated 1/6th Sauron, but that is likely years away... IF they even get that deep into the line before interest drops off (as it inevitably will after Hobbit 3 and when the new Star Wars and Avengers movies hit next year).

If size is an issue the. The SSW one is the way to go. It's a large piece but does give you more display room. You can't go wrong with either as I said but obviously the PF is a space eater. Don't worry about the cape it isn't an issue at all IMO.

I would (and did) go with the PF, but if you are trying to match a 1/6 collection, then I would say the "smaller" one is the way to go.

As the PF is 1/4, so he stands nearly 3 feet.

I just wish the PF was painted like the Weta one.

Someday, I'll double up and have both. Why? I don't know because they'll look sweet in the same collection. :rock

Frankly, it is not so much "the glow" as it is the "metal" looks like plastic.

I prefer some of the custom painted PF's without the glow. That being said, I don't have a problem with my PF as is with factory paint. The Weta 1/6 Sauron is also fantastic so it's a win/win either way you decide if you ask me.

Back