Premium Format Sandtrooper Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M
You know after putting those ANH stunt helmets side by side to the SS Sandtroopers helmet they are not that much different and if anything the SS version is cleaned up over the cruddy molds. Called my them poop is overdoing it.

This is not about cleaning the cruddy molds when making the SSC Sandtrooper helmet. It's simply a sculpt that misses the overall shape of the Sandtrooper (Stunt) helmet. I agree that is doesn't look like poop, the SSC helmet looks more like this LOL:

TrumpStormtrooper.jpg

I think I'm starting to see a subtle difference, and I prefer the Sideshow design to the original!

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Keep digging for more clear differences this time.

One thing that really makes no sense is this.

Why wouldn't they have permanent scans for each helmet and/or armor. All that would need to be done is posing in a simple program and you are finished. I can see how original designs could be sculpted but any armor that has this history you would think has been mastered just one time in 3D and saved. That goes for all the many companies. Why doesn't a license come complete with access to accurate models that have to be used.

Why risk it ever being remade for any project. McFarlane uses scans for Halo granted its for a different product but they make millions or used to make millions of Halo figures in armor that were always perfect in comparison to the game. Movie or game it's just armor.

Ok so bad sculpt to some fine but I'm good with it obviously lol I did buy one. I wonder if Sideshow will address my email. I even said its more like a baby Womp Rat.

You know isn't there a small Womp Rat in one of the Scum creature packs? It's tiny too :/

I doubt they use scans for Halo as it was originally digital anyways.

3d scanning isn't perfect (actually it kinda sucks :p), clean up is required especially as it's been progressing more and more, and it's expensive as hell. Also companies don't like sharing what they paid for and put their money in for. 3d printing is also relatively new too (and of course something that's scanned would have to be printed, not traditional).

And the really great reason is that they do not want accurate scans of the helmet and armor. The helmet isn't asymmetrical by design, it got that way because it was hand sculpted and because of the process. They don't want the bumps and warping. Old Lucas Films and Disney want what you thought you saw on screen, not the sometimes slapped and taped together armor that got hidden through editing and other stuff. Especially when it comes to merchandise like this, prop replicas are a bit different as a lot of people want actual prop replicas. But when it comes to statues that means it's going to be idealized.

However do not confuse cleaning up the warps and warts on a helmet and just failing to copy the basic design as they have with this helmet :p It's certainly been cleaned up and idealized, but they also did a poor job recreating the helmet design.

Yes that's right they used the digital copies for Halo. I watched a few videos from them.

I guess I'm saying I'm shocked SS doesn't have a digital/3D model that is correct 100% and have the helmets done perfectly by that reference. Heck they should be handing out 3D printed replicas if they can't sculpt it right so they get it right.

You can find so many cheap collectible things like key chains and vitamin bottle topper that would get less complaints.

So I guess in the end you either are happy with it and buy it or hate it and don't. I bought it clearly but cannot defend what others say but I will enjoy it very much.

Now I'll see how good or bad my Vader will be.

Yes that's right they used the digital copies for Halo. I watched a few videos from them.

I guess I'm saying I'm shocked SS doesn't have a digital/3D model that is correct 100% and have the helmets done perfectly by that reference. Heck they should be handing out 3D printed replicas if they can't sculpt it right so they get it right.

You can find so many cheap collectible things like key chains and vitamin bottle topper that would get less complaints.

So I guess in the end you either are happy with it and buy it or hate it and don't. I bought it clearly but cannot defend what others say but I will enjoy it very much.

Now I'll see how good or bad my Vader will be.

Cheap things don't generally have better sculpts, just nobody cares as much at that price point. If I get a star wars pez dispenser I don't really care that it's off a bit. However when I'm buying a now $500 statue and obviously I want it for display you damn well better expect me to give a **** about how it looks. There are quite a few times that you look at SS and say "why would they do that?". But again Disney wouldn't even allow SS to use an actual 3d print of the helmet if it wasn't cleaned up A LOT. Also it's a lot more difficult to 3d scan something than you think, and again it requires a fair bit of cleanup in the end anyways.

However one that that is indeed very sad is that there is a ton of cheap **** that does have better paint jobs then a lot of SS' stuff :p Usually the SW stuff has been for the most part solid in the past though. Not complete garbage like alien/predator :p

You have faith where I have little :p Honestly I'm not impressed with a lot of paint jobs that people get all hyped over. To me a clean paint job is like the minimum, it's not something to freak out over or celebrate over. It's not a good job, literally you have done your bare minimum to be considered "ok", which is basically mediocre ;P

A lot of people bring up Lobo, and that was a good paint job. It was clean, had decent shading etc. But really that's not amazing. That's literally what they should do every time, not one good one every year. It's sad that people have to 100% know that they aren't going to get what was advertised and worry about what it will actually look like since SS is so damn inconsistent. At least HCG is relatively consistent in their poor quality.

I was 2" from ordering the Prime 1 Optimus. The shield and gun are insane. That is something totally incredible but I already bought Voltron. I have many Voltrons but I do like this one. I figure the paint should be tough to mess up. It is a shame to think they may mess them up. Too many pieces or too little help.

I'll def wait for final comments after its here. Photos are unreliable due to how large these are. For example I took this photo for comparing to Vader. It looks like the ruler is even with the range finder when it's not it is flat with his helmet but to get the whole thing in the angle tricks you. Probably them same thing with many complaints we read. Photos are not reliable. I know I read one person who saw it in person complain but I'll judge myself.
image.jpg

In a PF I'd like to see how they could fit 2 1/4 bodies or maybe they could just have the burnt skull of Owen.

Trade it for the small Bantha skull. It really is cool although the trophy base is not so great paired with it. Be better to have made just a simple rectangle out of whatever the home was made of. Just a creative idea I think would improve the base.

SS idea is just a Sandie chilling it appears. All the design issues some people have aside it was truly a bad move to not have binoculars included even as an EX over a undersized Womp Rat. It's probably the same size as the one in the 1/6 creature pack.

If I made it it would either have the burnt skull with even a house piece on the floor or the gun down in one arm with the binoculars up as if he just was putting them down. Of course I'll enjoy it no matter what but still.

If I had time and money to spare I'd but custom bases for all my HT 1/6. Maybe one day.

In a PF I'd like to see how they could fit 2 1/4 bodies or maybe they could just have the burnt skull of Owen.

Trade it for the small Bantha skull. It really is cool although the trophy base is not so great paired with it. Be better to have made just a simple rectangle out of whatever the home was made of. Just a creative idea I think would improve the base.

SS idea is just a Sandie chilling it appears. All the design issues some people have aside it was truly a bad move to not have binoculars included even as an EX over a undersized Womp Rat. It's probably the same size as the one in the 1/6 creature pack.

If I made it it would either have the burnt skull with even a house piece on the floor or the gun down in one arm with the binoculars up as if he just was putting them down. Of course I'll enjoy it no matter what but still.

If I had time and money to spare I'd but custom bases for all my HT 1/6. Maybe one day.

Have a sand trooper standing ontop of the corpse of a Jawa, easy done :p

koto does damn good poses all the time though ;p

sometimes ss poses aren't bad, but then they make them awkward as hell somehow

Back