Salem's customs - 12" Batman WIP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalemCrow

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I've done a few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle displays a few years ago That can be seen here, but recently i decided to tackle something new.

The first was this custom rundown building armory. I know this board is heavily 1/6th, but this particular piece is 6 inch scale.

armory.jpg

armory1.jpg

armory2.jpg

armory3.jpg

armory4.jpg

armory5.jpg

armory6.jpg

armory7.jpg

armory8.jpg

armory10.jpg

The floor is foam board, and the walls are floral foam with a plaster mixture I learned about from [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkp94vdUm0k&feature=related"]lunkermouth's videos[/ame].
The mesh wall hanging is metal mesh cut and wrapped around the edge of a wooden frame. The other posts are just small finishing nails pushed into the foam walls.

The rest are just lots of guns I've accumulated over the years, and other assorted accessories.

--
Next is a massive, week long project I undertook to try out more of the techniques I learned from those youtube videos I linked above.

Last edited:
Re: Salem's custom figure dioramas

This one is a dungeon filled with flesh rotting liquid and bits of skeletons scattered about.

This is going to be a multiple post custom as I took a lot of pictures to get as many of the small details as possible.

dungeon-dio.jpg

dungeon-dio1.jpg

This piece can rotate or be taken out completely, depending on the kid of shot I want to take.
dungeon-dio2.jpg

dungeon-dio3.jpg

dungeon-dio4.jpg

dungeon-dio5.jpg

dungeon-dio6.jpg

dungeon-dio7.jpg

dungeon-dio8.jpg

dungeon-dio9.jpg

Part 3

dungeon-dio20.jpg

dungeon-dio21.jpg

dungeon-dio22.jpg

an open hand claw imprint into the stone
dungeon-dio23.jpg

a fist indentation
dungeon-dio24.jpg

dungeon-dio25.jpg

and one for reference with a 7" figure
dungeon-dio26.jpg

The entire thing was made from foam sheathing that you put under siding on the outsides of houses. The pieces were cut to size, then the stone patterns were carved into the walls, and the jagged rock look was carved into the floor sections.
The walls were glued in place, then everything was then painted with acrylic black paint, and 3 shades of gray to get the textured look. I then glued the floor down, and mixed up the liquid mixture.
- Equal parts latex caulk, white glue, and the lightest green paint. Stirred thoroughly, then a portion of plaster and water to get it to the proper consistency. Once that was dried, I went in with dry brushes of the 2 darker shades of green, and a watered down metallic blue. After that was a thin brush coat of triple Thick Glaze to make it look wet.

WIPs for the Dungeon.

The raw sheathing cut and dry fit into place.
wip-dio.jpg

wip-dio1.jpg

wip-dio2.jpg

wip-dio3.jpg

wip-dio4.jpg

Just paint on the walls and floor.

with a Predator for scale
dio-progress.jpg

dio-progress1.jpg

dio-progress2.jpg

dio-progress3.jpg

dio-progress4.jpg

I love your dungeon... It has given me ideas.

Thanks Salem!

Thanks everyone.

xphilx; the entire thing was made from foam sheathing that you put under siding on the outsides of houses. You can get them in 8ft sections at Home Depot/Lowes. The pieces were cut to size, then the stone patterns were carved into the walls with an exacto knife and beveled clay tool, and the jagged rock look was carved into the floor sections.

wolverenz; everything was painted with cheap acrylic paint you can get at Walmart (Plaid/Apple Barrel). I use Games Workshop and Tamiya on my figures, but I needed a cheaper alternative since this is so big.

We've all seen the movie batman figures that HT has done, and Sideshow is apparently working on some 12" comic versions, but I'm impatient. :lol:

So I took the 13" DCD Batman that I have, and compared him to a CMToys muscular body I have ( https://www.manofactionfigures.com/products/cmtoys-16-rubber-muscular-body-hj001-normal ) and the fit didn't look like it would be too bad.

I had to get a little personal with Batman, but the suit and boots came off easily enough. There was a tab on the back of the belt, but it unfortunately ripped before popping off. Luckily it's in the back, and can be hidden.

On to the pics.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman.jpg

Now the suit is a little loose, but there is another slightly bulkier body I'm eying, so when I get that I'll swap and test fit it to the new one. Otherwise I can still live with the current one.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman1.jpg

I'm debating whether I want to keep an umasked head for a Bruce before/after a night out. If I do, I'll paint this one's hair and eyebrows black and give the hair a slight drybrush of blue.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman2.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman3.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman4.jpg

He's currently borrowing a pair of Joker gloved hands (kind of a FA look if I took the gauntlets off). I'll need to track down some other black gloved hands, or some other type of hands.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman5.jpg

The boots are straight off the DCD figure, and fit great.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman7.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman8.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman9.jpg

Not sure on keeping the DCD head just yet. Can't tell if it looks too big or not. I know there are custom Bat heads out there, I might just have to track one down if I'm that concerned about it.

Man! That's fantastic! I loved the details in the dungeon and the perfect painting.
I wish there some tutorials for people with zero knowledge on how create something amazing like this.

Keep inspiring.

Thanks GE 7.

If you have any questions about the dungeon, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer as thoroughly as possible.
For quick reference, this video is basically how I started the walls and floor pieces. (again, from lunkermouth on youtube)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsvHfNXgxGM&feature=plcp[/ame]

We've all seen the movie batman figures that HT has done, and Sideshow is apparently working on some 12" comic versions, but I'm impatient. :lol:

So I took the 13" DCD Batman that I have, and compared him to a CMToys muscular body I have ( https://www.manofactionfigures.com/products/cmtoys-16-rubber-muscular-body-hj001-normal ) and the fit didn't look like it would be too bad.

I had to get a little personal with Batman, but the suit and boots came off easily enough. There was a tab on the back of the belt, but it unfortunately ripped before popping off. Luckily it's in the back, and can be hidden.

On to the pics.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman.jpg

Now the suit is a little loose, but there is another slightly bulkier body I'm eying, so when I get that I'll swap and test fit it to the new one. Otherwise I can still live with the current one.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman1.jpg

I'm debating whether I want to keep an umasked head for a Bruce before/after a night out. If I do, I'll paint this one's hair and eyebrows black and give the hair a slight drybrush of blue.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman2.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman3.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman4.jpg

He's currently borrowing a pair of Joker gloved hands (kind of a FA look if I took the gauntlets off). I'll need to track down some other black gloved hands, or some other type of hands.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman5.jpg

The boots are straight off the DCD figure, and fit great.

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman7.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman8.jpg

wip-12inch-brucewayne-batman9.jpg

Not sure on keeping the DCD head just yet. Can't tell if it looks too big or not. I know there are custom Bat heads out there, I might just have to track one down if I'm that concerned about it.

Really surprised at how much better this looks than some of the more expensive Batman customs here. Especially since it's almost a straight port. Just my 2 cents, but the Kaustic Heroik bod might do him a bit more justice though and fill out the suit better.

That's probably the only downside of the figure the baggy suit. Once you find a bulkier body,it'll really look fantastic :)

Thanks guys.

thenammagazine, that's exactly the body I was eying as the upgrade. Thank you, as well. That is very polite of you as I have seen some amazing Bat customs (elvis's come to mind).

Back