S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, other than height, i don't like Mafex version, he looks skinny and doesn't impose. But I'm of the very few people who doesn't like him at all, everyone else seems to love him...

You're not alone. My friend at work has both the MAFEX and SHF Vader figures, and I really dislike the MAFEX version. The helmet sculpt is wonky, and he is way too thin for my tastes; Vader should be much bulkier. This is also my complaint about the SHF version: too thin and lean.

So far, I still consider the Hasbro version to be better than those two (gasp!), since it has just the right amount of bulk. And if you repaint the helmet of the Walgreens-exclusive offering, you get a much-improved helmet compared to the standard version.

You....prefer....sad walrus BS Vader? I have no words [emoji38]

Best Vader to me now is the model kit Vader with BS cloth goods mod.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So is Vader really that bad? Not sure if i should pickup the Mafex edition or not. Kind of like the idea to have tull ful figuart collection, but i dont really like a bad figure either.

I really like SHF Vader. Could be taller and a little bulkier, but if you take some time posing him, he looks really good, IMO. Not into the other 6 inch offerings out there. Matter of taste I guess.

The Walgreens BS vader is pretty nice when repainted. Here is mine with a painted helmet that preserves the transparency of the lenses. Going to add a transparent gloss to the chest and belt buttons and redo the robes of course. I do like the large helmet and overall bulk of this one, despite the cheaper materials. It really shows compared to the mafex's tiny helmet and limbs. On a side not a recently saw one of the original prop Vader helmets and it is enormous. Thought it was just a large sculpture of the helmet at first.

uBBwxuil.jpg

You....prefer....sad walrus BS Vader? I have no words [emoji38]

If I have to choose between SHF, MAFEX, and Hasbro, I take Hasbro. I admit it, and I am not proud of it. :(

But, I don't like the helmet on the standard release. Hence, that's why I threw in my disclaimer:

And if you repaint the helmet of the Walgreens-exclusive offering, you get a much-improved helmet compared to the standard version.

:wink1:

Does somebody have a pic of a disassembled mafex Vader at the waist for me? So his torso detached from his pelvis and, if possibke, his belt/skirt detached as well. Is it even possible? Asking for modding purposes, I wanna cut off the skirt and mod in a cloth one, tucked up underneathe the uppertorso joint. (I don't need torso artyiculation for Vader.)

Would really be the best if someone had a pic, if it's possible to detach without breking it.

This is what I think about the four Vader versions I have:

1. Hasbro
Positive: Anything / Negative: Everything

2. S.H. Figuarts
Positive: Generally, and excellent figure / Negative: strange interpretation of the helmet, awful plastic cape, undersized height.

MAFEX
Positive: Correct height, accurate helmet / Negative: too skinny, awful chest plate, soft plastics, loose joints.

Bandai model kit
Positive: proportions, height, accuracy, detail, customizable options, price, funny to ensemble / Negative: Hard plastic robes

So, althought I think that there isn't yet an ultimate Vader in 1/12 scale, I feel satisfied with my modified Bandai model kit. I'll try to post pics soon.

Last edited:
Does somebody have a pic of a disassembled mafex Vader at the waist for me? So his torso detached from his pelvis and, if possibke, his belt/skirt detached as well. Is it even possible? Asking for modding purposes, I wanna cut off the skirt and mod in a cloth one, tucked up underneathe the uppertorso joint. (I don't need torso artyiculation for Vader.)

Would really be the best if someone had a pic, if it's possible to detach without breking it.

You can pull it off easily with a boiling session. Just do it slowly and carefully.

In terms of Vader, I'm happy enough with my Mafex, it was the height in relation to Luke that swung it. The new one they have coming may be worth a look too, we shall see.

since we comparing thing... i wanna ask which one is better SHF or BS scout & speeder ? please consider the price as well for the choice...
SHF is 150-200$
BS is 40ish$

ppl seems to love SHF while for me there is nothing wrong with BS but reviewer seem to dislike BS one.

since we comparing thing... i wanna ask which one is better SHF or BS scout & speeder ? please consider the price as well for the choice...
SHF is 150-200$
BS is 40ish$

ppl seems to love SHF while for me there is nothing wrong with BS but reviewer seem to dislike BS one.

Excellent comparison vid by Bobby Skullface...

I got my Figuarts for double the cost of TBS (UK prices). At that ratio it's definitely worth it, at 4 to 5 times the cost of TBS, I don't think it is.

Out of the box, figuarts hands down. But if you have the time and skill, the bandai kit can be customized to look better than the figuarts.

Damn it. I have not enought time nor skills for the model kit. OMG, nor do I have money to buy S.H. Speeder.
So, I will have to keep my BS version.
Yeah, this is an example that actually is almost impossible to focus on a line. Eventually, all we feel pushed to get some of those american rubbish figures. Sadly.
That said, I think that S.H. Speeder is overprized, and I disagree that's an exclusive. Hello online scalpers!

My ANH Luke I ordered from Anime Export using the slow shipping option finally was scheduled for delivery yesterday. Apparently it required a signature, though, so I have to pick it up at the post office today. I'm excited to finally see this figure in person!

Back