S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno...Mafex R2-D2 looks way off in color and a few points of accuracy. Not that I expect figures in this scale to be 100% accurate, but I think I'll wait for the Figuarts droids. I do LOVE Mafex Vader though. Highly recommended. I have Kylo and Phasma pre-ordered too. They look so good. I'm on the fence with Boba Fett.

For a bit lower price and easier to find, the Mafex F.O. Stormtrooper also includes riot gear. A good alternative to the tamashii exclusive riot control trooper. It ships out around August.

Quick iPhone snaps.

Positioning on the bike is aided by creating tension between the handlebars, pedals and four points of contact on the figure.

The leaning scout isn't even gripping the bars firmly - i.e. it uses the more open grip hand-set.

c046094f98d730b621bef54f24004fe3.jpg

75a2ab8ef87f8f4ff312de7c9ae994c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is quite a thread. I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on some of these Figuarts releases (I've already bought the Freddie Mercury.). While not a fan of the prequels, the Maul and Obi Wan look great and you'd have a ton of fun dueling with them. As for Vader and Luke, well, I'd go for the Mafex Vader but certainly the Figuarts Luke would be a must. The OT Stormies are very pricey now, but, the FO ones all look great and are far more reasonably priced. Pity none of them come with a Fin head, but, could he be a future release in his own right? As far as Kylo Ren goes, well, I'd go for the Mafex, but only if Figuarts do Rey. I think budgeting for these could prove to be a darnsight easier than it would for an HT.

Farmboy Luke and Han would also be on the list....

Is this goodbye to 1/6, well, yes!

I started off by getting Vader, because he's legendary. I'm not a big fan of the prequels, but funny enough, I saw the Obi Wan was in stock, and had a 10% off promo code, so decided to just pull the trigger. Obi Wan is a really great figure, and then it kick started my Star Wars collection. Spent a ton to get Kylo, Maul, Phasma, VI Luke and the Scout Trooper. I was gonna pass on the troopers, but now the collector in me wants to get every figure, even the boring Battle Droid.

Can't wait for Mace. Hopefully he comes early.

I'd bailed on the line but it pulled me back in with my long-ago pre-orders of two speeder bikes.

But this time I'm back to my anti-completist ways, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the Figuarts are the Star Wars figures I'd always dreamed of. Even when we were little, my best friend and I could see the shortcomings of the old Kenner figures. Back then, the equivalent to Figuarts was Mego and their articulation was streets ahead of the Kenner, but, they didn't have a Star Wars license. My folks never really let me have action figures and even then I wasn't really that swayed by marketing. I could see the characters in the films, but the figures never looked like them. Even when I was much older, the yearning for vintage Kenner was never there. Now I've seen the Figuarts, and to an extent the Mafex, I can have the figures I pictured in my head when I was a kid, and I'm finally a wee bit excited like the kid version of me was.

What have I started......

For me, the Figuarts are the Star Wars figures I'd always dreamed of. Even when we were little, my best friend and I could see the shortcomings of the old Kenner figures.[...]

I loved Star Wars as a kid, and had a good time with my Kenner figures, probably due in no small part to the vehicles and playsets. But G.I. Joe with all that articulation blew my mind, and I could never look at Kenner the same way.

I bailed on my original completist plan for SHF Star Wars, mostly because they're into PT territory (although the figures look great) and exceeded my expectations for quantity, but what I do have, I very much enjoy. They're a properly updated *action figure* in ways that 1/6 Hot Toys are not.

The only thing that disappoints me about the Figuarts is the inconsistency of the pricing. I can get an Obi Wan for under £40, but you can't find a Maul for under £50 and they don't really have that much over each other when it comes to accessories. Same with Jedi Luke it seems that, just because he comes with that Anakin head, the prices he goes for are ridiculous. The Freddie Mercury I bought and the Bruce Lee I'll get tomorrow both come with more accessories and yet are way less in price. The dramatic variance can't be covered by it purely being Star Wars either. As they say, rather aptly, go figure!

It strikes me, when I look back at the 70's toys, that we weren't quite as discerning as we are now. I shudder at what we used to think was incredible, the thing was though, back then, it was groundbreaking and nothing like that had ever been seen or done before. It is also staggering to think that Kenner Star Wars figures were £1.25 each when they first came out, what toy like that can you get for that much now!?

HLJ opened up orders for Jango again and I got one in but I don't see it in my account. Now it's sold out again. Hope I got one :(

The only thing that disappoints me about the Figuarts is the inconsistency of the pricing. I can get an Obi Wan for under £40, but you can't find a Maul for under £50 and they don't really have that much over each other when it comes to accessories. Same with Jedi Luke it seems that, just because he comes with that Anakin head, the prices he goes for are ridiculous. The Freddie Mercury I bought and the Bruce Lee I'll get tomorrow both come with more accessories and yet are way less in price. The dramatic variance can't be covered by it purely being Star Wars either. As they say, rather aptly, go figure!

It strikes me, when I look back at the 70's toys, that we weren't quite as discerning as we are now. I shudder at what we used to think was incredible, the thing was though, back then, it was groundbreaking and nothing like that had ever been seen or done before. It is also staggering to think that Kenner Star Wars figures were £1.25 each when they first came out, what toy like that can you get for that much now!?
The pricing is all due to how long each figure has been out for. These arent like Hasbro or Kenner; once they are released, they very rarely get a reissue, and if the are web exclusives they dont get reissued at all, meaning that they immediately begin rising in 3rd party pricing as they become harder to find.

Maul as an example has been out longer than Obi-Wan so naturally his price is higher, and the stormtrooper, although not a great figure, is now out of stock pretty much everywhere and so is worth much more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back