S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good write up. Some advice on your writing: you seem to switch back and forth between formal and informal language, leaning towards formal, which makes it read a bit stiff.

Thanks! Never sure how much snark to put into things, and really, there?s only so many ways to get excited about trigger hands. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another pic of SHF Mando. Personally I still really like this figure despite its flaws.

cbfa4c1a12d11ee1e9bc0d66241ac068.jpg

Mando arrived from Amazon JP today. The tiny option parts are a nightmare, but overall he's a lot better in-hand than I was expecting based on reviews. His neck doesn't even look especially short in person.

Looking good there, the helmet is looking about right too. Great shot.

Thank you! I really like the shine of the helmet. Makes it pop very nicely. And to be honest, whether or not it?s too small it doesn?t bother me all.

I think my biggest downside of this figure is the limited ankle articulation. The BS6? version actually has a bit more range of motion, especially in the up and down hinge. But at least there?s the hinged toes to help with deeper poses.

Still, the cons don?t outweigh the positives for me. It?s fun to pose and take pictures with.

Thank you! I really like the shine of the helmet. Makes it pop very nicely. And to be honest, whether or not it?s too small it doesn?t bother me all.

I think my biggest downside of this figure is the limited ankle articulation. The BS6? version actually has a bit more range of motion, especially in the up and down hinge. But at least there?s the hinged toes to help with deeper poses.

Still, the cons don?t outweigh the positives for me. It?s fun to pose and take pictures with.

The ankle articulation is much worse on Boba Fett because of the sculpted ankle cuffs from his pants, he is the only SHF figure I have that is nearly impossible to stand. Never had any issues with Mando standing.

Yeah this is not a bad figure at all in hand. It's annoying if you're a toy photographer and trying to mix up looks for pics but 99+% of people are not that. We'll pose and mess around with figures here and there but the bothersome parts are greatly outweighed by the better look. And Mafex isn't going to go back and make this look I think, so if you want a high quality version SHF is your option.

The ankle articulation is much worse on Boba Fett because of the sculpted ankle cuffs from his pants, he is the only SHF figure I have that is nearly impossible to stand. Never had any issues with Mando standing.

Yeah I?ve seen reviews on Boba and that is disappointing for sure. But I mean other than that, he does still look like a good figure to put into some pretty dynamic poses. Mando is definitely better in the ankles, but depending on how you pose him the issue will pop up though. It certainly shouldn?t be enough to pass on him because he will still pose very nicely. The range of motion in every other joint allows it to be put into nice subtle poses, and also deep action poses too. You can achieve some very man-in-suit looks with the articulation. Honestly I dont really get the level of hate this figure can sometimes get. I guess you have to have him in hand and fool around with it to really appreciate it. But if people still think its not for them, then thats fine too.

The Good:
I love how much more posable this is over the Black Series. The plastic quality really makes a difference when posing him around.
The paint is not an issue for me. I do like how clean it looks. The washes are a lot more subtle when compared to the Black Series. The weapons are also more accurately depicted. The sculpt is good. Lines are sharper than the BS, and i think Mandalorian is more accurately sculpted than BS. Too bad the accurate shapes of the sculpt are let down by the proportions (more on that later)

The Bad:
While they went with a wealth of accessories to make it as accurate to the show as possible, the tiny fiddly bits that don't always align well makes it a chore to pose the rifle on the figure's back. However, if you prefer Mando to be holding his Rifle in hand, then this won't be much of an issue. And the blaster holster is also overly complicated. The tiny piece that is attached to the hip (where you clip the holsters to) snapped off for mine when i tried to remove the holster. Nothing that cant be glued back easily, but things like that really shouldnt be happening.
Proportionately, the head does look a little too small, and the chest is a little too big. if it was just one of those, i think the disproportion would not have been that noticeable.

The Ugly:
The cape. While i much prefer a soft goods cape compared to the plastic "big scarf" of the Black Series, the one SHF gave us really should have wires. it starts off well, with the cape stitched and tucked into the breastplate. but after that, it loses all shape and just looks like a flat sheet of paper down the back.

Overall:
With all its flaws, i still prefer this over the Black Series. The muddied paint apps, the rifle mounted the wrong way on its back, the plastic cape, and the oddly shaped helmet, all contribute to more cons than pros over the SHF for me.
End of the day, both SHF and BS are still good figures. They both look like the Mandalorian. Or perhaps, really good cosplays of the Mandalorian. With the SHF looking more polished.

Tip!
If you don't feel inclined to mod or purchase a custom cape. Not to worry. To create a better looking silhouette of the character, DO NOT let the cape sit across his shoulders. Merely tuck the sides of the cape behind the shoulder pauldrons. You can even wedge the sides of the cape into the arm socket a little. it makes a lot of difference.

9FC834E8-DCD5-43A5-82AB-7E50D6A16AAA-11713-00000B0E50CB0447.JPG

The Good:
I love how much more posable this is over the Black Series. The plastic quality really makes a difference when posing him around.
The paint is not an issue for me. I do like how clean it looks. The washes are a lot more subtle when compared to the Black Series. The weapons are also more accurately depicted. The sculpt is good. Lines are sharper than the BS, and i think Mandalorian is more accurately sculpted than BS. Too bad the accurate shapes of the sculpt are let down by the proportions (more on that later)

The Bad:
While they went with a wealth of accessories to make it as accurate to the show as possible, the tiny fiddly bits that don't always align well makes it a chore to pose the rifle on the figure's back. However, if you prefer Mando to be holding his Rifle in hand, then this won't be much of an issue. And the blaster holster is also overly complicated. The tiny piece that is attached to the hip (where you clip the holsters to) snapped off for mine when i tried to remove the holster. Nothing that cant be glued back easily, but things like that really shouldnt be happening.
Proportionately, the head does look a little too small, and the chest is a little too big. if it was just one of those, i think the disproportion would not have been that noticeable.

The Ugly:
The cape. While i much prefer a soft goods cape compared to the plastic "big scarf" of the Black Series, the one SHF gave us really should have wires. it starts off well, with the cape stitched and tucked into the breastplate. but after that, it loses all shape and just looks like a flat sheet of paper down the back.

Overall:
With all its flaws, i still prefer this over the Black Series. The muddied paint apps, the rifle mounted the wrong way on its back, the plastic cape, and the oddly shaped helmet, all contribute to more cons than pros over the SHF for me.
End of the day, both SHF and BS are still good figures. They both look like the Mandalorian. Or perhaps, really good cosplays of the Mandalorian. With the SHF looking more polished.

Tip!
If you don't feel inclined to mod or purchase a custom cape. Not to worry. To create a better looking silhouette of the character, DO NOT let the cape sit across his shoulders. Merely tuck the sides of the cape behind the shoulder pauldrons. You can even wedge the sides of the cape into the arm socket a little. it makes a lot of difference.

View attachment 488132

Nice shot there, and a fair review I think. I?ve skipped this but have the Beskar version on order. I hope the cape is better on that.

I think the proportions of the Beskar version and this version will be the same. So i do think the smaller helmet size will still be there. However it does seem the Beskar version does indeed have a narrower cape. At least in the promo shots. The edges of the cape do look quite rough. So it could be they realised the negative feedback from the shots of their first Mandalorian, and literally trimmed the width of the cape. So i'm hopeful as well that the Beskar version will have a better cape

I might be out of work soon and will have to part with some/all of my near complete collection. Recos on where to sell?

Also AmiAmi doesn?t allow for pre-order cancelations do they?

Thanks all appreciate any help.

I might be out of work soon and will have to part with some/all of my near complete collection. Recos on where to sell?

Sorry to hear that. Hope something works out. You can sell on this board (with membership), eBay, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Facebook collector groups, and Amazon. Collector groups and forums might be your best bet to avoid fees but most people want a deal so it might be a wash. eBay would likely be the most efficient. You might be able to save on shipping by selling some stuff as a lot. AmiAmi doesn’t technically allow cancellations but if you haven’t paid in full you can always remove your credit card information. You do risk them closing your account by going that route though. Best of luck to you.

:duff

I would just do ebay. Research the value of each one, if you've got some exclusives they're worth a decent amount. I usually take many pics, showing all accessories and the box. Find the price they're going for and set a buy it now + actual shipping. If you don't have a scale, I'd think most figures would still be less than 1 pound; order the free USPS priority mail boxes and use those to ship.

Mando Was just delivered. I don?t know, aside from all the plug-ins and pegs, this is a pretty solid figure. Proportions look fine in hand, helmet included. The rifle peg system is completely ineffective. They could have done it 10 different ways and they all would have been better than the end result.
The cape isn?t the best material choice but I?m going to give it the water treatment, then iron it to create drape folds.

Attachments

• 7990CD3A-C0CD-4940-9793-D31C74E928E3.jpg
    7990CD3A-C0CD-4940-9793-D31C74E928E3.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 191
Palpatine has been shipped. I?m quite excited about this one! I got my Deathstar set (that came with Vader) set up ready for him!

Damn! Didn't know it came with two complete Palpatines! Regret not picking it up now.

Back