S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpt is just so bad. This is all I see when I look at his chest armor

CkzwIPi.png

Got my Mando from CDJapan yesterday, finally. He is sufficient in my collection, not amazing but not a failure either. Definitely better than BS and the proportions change based on poses and articulation points being manipulated. The helmet could be a tad wider but much improved over the inaccurate one made by BS. I even like the cleaner paint apps on the figuarts version since metallic items look like real metal and less a painted toy. I?m looking forward for the ultimate showdown between Mafex and SHf Beskar Mando. Also cannot wait for Shf Ig-11 and BY of course.

So much negativity for this version of Mando online I’m seeing ...this figure is really get pummeled

This says it all

So much negativity for this version of Mando online I’m seeing ...this figure is really get pummeled

This says it all

Im glad people are worked up, hopefully it means they'll cancel and I can grab some more at retail or lower, then a year down the road they'll all whine and cry about missing out

Im glad people are worked up, hopefully it means they'll cancel and I can grab some more at retail or lower, then a year down the road they'll all whine and cry about missing out

:exactly: he?s not 100% perfect but it?s shocking that so many are saying online the proportions on BS are better. Now I can?t look at the BS the same. It looks completely off

The BS really looks like a robot rather than a man in armor :dunno

Completionists, sure. People that want to make sure they're spending their money on quality, probably not.

:exactly: he?s not 100% perfect but it?s shocking that so many are saying online the proportions on BS are better. Now I can?t look at the BS the same. It looks completely off

The BS really looks like a robot rather than a man in armor :dunno

That's actually how I feel about the Figuarts version. He looks so stiff and robotic. Especially with his tiny head. Though you might want to compare them to the source material. The yellow under suit, tiny head, lack of weathering and giant chest is just so off. The only thing it has going for it is the great helmet paint. But you can really do that to the black series version easily.

Heck it's even missing sculpted details. Compare the chest belt between the two. The Figuarts version is so flat in comparison.

Completionists, sure. People that want to make sure they're spending their money on quality, probably not.

That's actually how I feel about the Figuarts version. He looks so stiff and robotic. Especially with his tiny head. Though you might want to compare them to the source material. The yellow under suit, tiny head, lack of weathering and giant chest is just so off. The only thing it has going for it is the great helmet paint. But you can really do that to the black series version easily.

Heck it's even missing sculpted details. Compare the chest belt between the two. The Figuarts version is so flat in comparison.

There's no way you can look at those 2 in that photo and say that the BS head is more accurate. It's WAY oversized. Everyone is blinded by how large Fett's helmet is in comparison to Mando's. It's smaller. The SHF is not that out of proportion, I swear people are just making up excuses why their BS figures are better, same thing I heard with the Mafex Cyclops. The BS and Legends are good figures for their price, but if you want the better figures pay up.

There's no way you can look at those 2 in that photo and say that the BS head is more accurate. It's WAY oversized. Everyone is blinded by how large Fett's helmet is in comparison to Mando's. It's smaller. The SHF is not that out of proportion, I swear people are just making up excuses why their BS figures are better, same thing I heard with the Mafex Cyclops. The BS and Legends are good figures for their price, but if you want the better figures pay up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they need to see the two in hand. The camera makes the figuarts look weird but not to the naked eye but when you see the two together the BS is not human like in hand. It is quite noticeable the BS head is way too big for body is too flat on the shoulders

There are good points made about the SHF's lack of detail, but you can't deny that the SHF looks like a better quality figure. That round melon headed BS figure just can't compare.

The problem is that for whatever reason there's an issue with the Black Series Mando helmet being warping in the package. A quality control issue. I've seen some HORRIBLE bubble shaped helmets. Mine is slightly bubbled. But if you find one that's not, it's an excellent, accurate sculpt to build upon. I don't personally see it as being over sized. But even if it was, I'd rather have a larger helmet that looks like it could comfortably fit a head inside of. Instead of what figuarts did.

ykelQeO.png

6qpQYGX.png

And obviously the Figuarts version is a higher quality figure plastic wise. They're ALWAYS going to have that. It's $20 vs $60. But that's the thing, for $60 I expect better paint and a better sculpt. Or heck at least as good. You couldn't even say the articulation blows away the black series anymore because the only articulation the black series version is missing is the ball and sock wrists and toe joints. It has everything else.

And with better paint job on that helmet, it's just a better looking figure overall imo

ifgiUSP.jpg

b4URt4W.jpg

Hell I think hasbro actually did a better job than Figuarts, sculpt and paint, with their 3.75 TVC version.

sXg1xqD.jpg

6LofayU.jpg

xkLvdHa.jpg

Repainting the BS Mando is sorta cheating when comparing the two. Even replacing the cape. We need to see a wash for the Figuarts one and a wired cape. And quality control is a huge issue with BS though it has improved over the years. Like you said the helmets are so warped. Also I think the chest plate is undersized on the BS one. Figures with more ranges of articulation need more handling and posing but they will always look more natural and person in a suit. Look at the subtle movements you can get on Mafex and Shf over BS. They are making improvements copying butterfly joints and hidden knees from Shf. I think the base paint job is much better on figuarts because on BS some of the metallic accents are not even cleanly painted. As you said the sculpt itself is lacking in some detail like on the belt. But the paint quality is superior on figuarts and bleeds far less.

I am definitely in the 'for the price, not bad' on the Hasbro one. The one I have seems to have a decent helmet. And I would definitely prefer a tad large than the pinhead one we received in the SH Figuarts version.

Smart move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, agree 100%. I am excited for their IG-11, but I dread seeing all the small parts with that one.

Yeah man I got to believe that there is a human head in there for any helmet figure to work.

If they can?t sell that basic concept i?m out.

SH Figuarts always undersize helmet characters. All the Iron man heads are undersized IMO. The Mando one def looks weird, maybe its the angles they choose to photograph it from.

Mafex buckets all the way.

But Mafex also drops the ball once in awhile just look at their Wolverine and Cyclops.

Last edited:
Figuarts Mando is actually a tad taller than the BS. It actually scales well with 6” figures .

I’ve said this numerous times Hasbro always uses waxy gummy joints in their SW BS that create minimal articulation..now granted, Mando is a step up, by now I expect more from BS joints and I see it getting there, but they still aren’t in the league of Figuarts natural human movement yet.

I just wish BS would develop a new non gummy joint figure and use hard or more versatile plastic

Until then.. I will back up Figuarts and Mafex

Even at $20 Hasbro needs to be more innovative, same could be said with Figuarts and Mafex but at least they are trying new gimmicks, some work..some don’t , but they have changed a lot since the very first Figuarts SW :lecture

Back