S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faulconer all the way. DBZ is much more serious because of the American OST.
Of course, coming from Dragonball I also like the Japanese music(whenever it decides to play lol) But Kai voice changes were godawful (Gohan).

Ehhhh..... I was never a fan of the Fansub Swearing being "tamed down" into Krillin Saying " Crud" all the time, Or Vegeta's Near CONSTANT " DARN YOU TO HECK/ DARN IT/ DARN YOOOOOU !!!"
... Or.. you know... This.
[ame]https://youtu.be/3lsYlps2C0k[/ame] ( No sound at work, But I THINK that's the original version)

I prefer the Kai dub 90% of the time... though I DO prefer the original funimation music.

Some "kid" think's Making everyone in the show Swear like a sailor ( original fansub,goku and Vegeta constantly saying F- this, f- that, God damnits, S*** being Krillin's catch-phrase, Etc) makes the show "edgier" , then funimation using the fansub for the translation ( common practice in the 80's and 90's. it's cheaper.) Led to that. And it's cringe-inducingly BAD to me.

Japanese don't have those swearwords, or equivilant. they were never in the Original japanese version. Hell, I don't think Vegeta even ever Dropped a Zakendaio in the series that I can recall..

Which, to my knowledge is the Worst of the worst when it comes to native japanese "swearing"

Ehhhh..... I was never a fan of the Fansub Swearing being "tamed down" into Krillin Saying " Crud" all the time, Or Vegeta's Near CONSTANT " DARN YOU TO HECK/ DARN IT/ DARN YOOOOOU !!!"
... Or.. you know... This.
https://youtu.be/3lsYlps2C0k ( No sound at work, But I THINK that's the original version)

I prefer the Kai dub 90% of the time... though I DO prefer the original funimation music.

Some "kid" think's Making everyone in the show Swear like a sailor ( original fansub,goku and Vegeta constantly saying F- this, f- that, God damnits, S*** being Krillin's catch-phrase, Etc) makes the show "edgier" , then funimation using the fansub for the translation ( common practice in the 80's and 90's. it's cheaper.) Led to that. And it's cringe-inducingly BAD to me.

Japanese don't have those swearwords, or equivilant. they were never in the Original japanese version. Hell, I don't think Vegeta even ever Dropped a Zakendaio in the series that I can recall..

Which, to my knowledge is the Worst of the worst when it comes to native japanese "swearing"

For me, the swearing isn't as huge a deal, yes it was tamed down...but I do think the Funi dub had 'uncut' moments as well, right? The occasional d*** and h-e- double hockey sticks.

To me its pretty cheesy to hear swear words in anime. I care more about VA and emotion, combined with the OST. I see most anime in two parts, animation and audio, and for me, many animes can be enjoyable and mature without swearing. Of course, DBZ stood out to me as a kid on Toonami because I loved everything over-the-top about it. Good, evil, and fighting... lots of flashy fighting :lol

Funi did a great job, and to me its amazing that many of the VAs to this day keep DBZ alive for America through the video games time and time again :clap

You're missing my point AND agreeing with me at the same time.

The Swearing SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE is my point :lol

It was silly in the Sub, and was EVEN sillier when Funimation Had their voice actors do it for the Dubbing on the DVD, and made a tamed down version for Cartoon network. :lol

Something to remember. If an Anime has ALOT of swearing ( Or "tamed down/PG swearing), the translation Is likely NOT accurate. Becuase the japanese don't really have swearwords.

Deathnote being a good example here AGAIN :lol

Not as bad as GT's HFIL, home for infinite losers or whatever it was called, instead of Hell. I think DBZ's swearing was ok really, mostly since Vegeta was, well, Vegeta. Who couldn't see him swearing or flicking off people?

It was the cooler film, it used ****ing Change underneath the transformation, super cliche, didn't like it either. I never liked any of the films but I re-watched Cooler's recently to check on it and the music made it feel like a ****ing amv.:lol Band music rarely is descent filmscoring as far as I'm concerned. Indie flicks excluded.

I still don't get how you can like english voices underneath the japanese music, I really don't. It just doesn't match. Japan's tone is more comical and that's the original version. Less dramatised. Western dub made it much more serious to make it fit with how they treated superhero material in the nineties and the acting and score went hand in hand. Detaching one and mixing it with the other, I just do't see the point. Just watch the original Kai. It'd be like Power Rangers but with the Super Sentai tone and music, it's like, what? Why would you do that? Just watch Power Rangers or Super Sentai.

Granted if I'd only known the japanese tone of DBZ I probably wouldn't be much of a fan of it anyway.
:exactly::goodpost:

It seems a bit odd honestly, why mix stuff from completely different dubs and all. I mean each to their own. Though it seems everyone prefers Eng regardless, not like I can blame them since rarely do you find such good dubs of animes. The Japanese music isn't bad though, but English is far better.

Last edited:
I've got a hard time with vegeta swearing and flicking off people, for a few reasons.

1) He's an alien. those are Earth concepts. WHY would he know them?

2) He's a prince. YES, he's an *******, but he's still nobility. They tend to be above such things.

His Crazy temper works with his arragance, but the swearing.. well. It just feels out of place to me.

I dont mind the lack of swearing in the original dub, never noticed it myself tbh; to me swearing isnt needed to make a good show.

You're missing my point AND agreeing with me at the same time.

The Swearing SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE is my point :lol

It was silly in the Sub, and was EVEN sillier when Funimation Had their voice actors do it for the Dubbing on the DVD, and made a tamed down version for Cartoon network. :lol

Something to remember. If an Anime has ALOT of swearing ( Or "tamed down/PG swearing), the translation Is likely NOT accurate. Becuase the japanese don't really have swearwords.

Deathnote being a good example here AGAIN :lol

Oh, ummm.... oops? Ok, so bad fansub leads to cheap translation leads to eng script to eng dub amirite? And that's the issue? :panic:

Is anyone expecting Cell to become sold-out and expensive on the aftermarket soon? I've been holding off buying him, but I'm concerned it's almost time for him to disappear now.

The japanese version doesn't have that much swearing it unless the translators decides to add in our customs because it sounds "right" most of it just rudeness because of the lack of honorifics. But I prefer the japanese animes less toned down nature of the television . Sailor moon and the lesbians for examples Americans made them cousins because homosexuality is so taboo here although it's just bad in japanese culture but they not afraid to write/show it. Even the super Sentai is like that. If you ever get a chance watch the dairangers , it correlates to American second season of power ranger when we got the white ranger and you probably see why we didn't want to even use that series.

Found this on yahoo and found it interesting

This is a tricky question to answer. In English, to make sentences rude and disrespectful (even if it's done for shock value or for a laugh) we have a list of "unspeakable" words that can be thrown in just about anywhere in the sentence as an emphasizer. English is pretty flexible in that a word for a sexual act can become a rude emphasizer.

Japanese doesn't really have that flexibility. To make a Japanese sentence rude and disrespectful, you have a couple of options:

1. Use a lower politeness level than is required. "kuru na!" instead of "konaide kudasai"

2. Use disrespectful forms of address, such as calling a person "kimi" "omae" or "temee" (or even "kisama")

3. Put your emphasis in the facial expression and the tone of voice. Japanese are generally considered more sensitive to that sort of thing.

For example, you could say, "Ittai nani o?!" with a really mad expression and lots of anger in your voice and it might be translated to "What the ******?!" And if you said it normally, it might be translated as "What the heck?"

That being said,
--"baka" is term that means fool.
--"yarou" is a rude way to refer to a person.
--"kuso" is a reference to excrement and can be attached to some nouns.
--"chikushou" means "beast" but is usually said like "damn it!"
--"jikoku" means "hell" and is used only in a literal sense
--"che" is a light expletive--kind of like "shoot!"
--"ama" literally means "nun" but can be used as a derogatory word for women (like b****)
--"busu" is a mean way to call someone ugly
--"debu" is a rude way to call someone far

less talking, more pictures! :lecture

and i dont think i will gamboa, not because it doesnt look good but i've been slacking in the gaming world entirely.

Is anyone expecting Cell to become sold-out and expensive on the aftermarket soon? I've been holding off buying him, but I'm concerned it's almost time for him to disappear now.

buy him now. Don't wait. Eventually all these figures sell out and the prices go up.

less talking, more pictures! :lecture

:exactly: :lol

484749_662514933769186_1485032948_n.jpg

credits to ray文

If inly the manga versions weren't in there, I still don't get how you can like having doubles like that next to each other.

@Ashboi cool to know. I've always wanted to take Japanese classes, but it just never fit in mainly.:(

Back