S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definitely 2D, and then reverts to 3D for the super move cutscenes.

I don't think it is tbh. It's made to look like 3d but when they turn it's clearly the same model reversed. It's most noticable on Goku with his kanji swapping sides. Still a fantastic looking game though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

have a read, you unbelievers

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-developers-make-the-3D-characters-look-2D

@blood your link doesnt seem to work btw lol

but yeah it's not 2d guys. It's made the same way as all mainstream fighting games are nowadays, which is 2.5D. 3D models that play on a 2D plane (ie sf4, sf5, kof14, killer instinct, mvc3, mvci, GG xrd rev 2). GG xrd rev being the closest example as it's made by the same developers arcsystem works. As for the mirroring, i suspect that it's because it's easier than animating the model to turn completely around and then animating new animations for the other side of the body for the same moves. So the fact that it's actually 3d models allows them to do the dynamic angles more easily like when they do a dust launch (pardon my GG vocab) and angles for super attacks, as well as stages where the background can get destroyed (ie deflecting ki blasts into the background and it destroys the buildings).

An example off the top of my head i can think of is in KOF14, the character benimaru has an asymmetrical design, and you can see his actual model turn around instead of being mirrored, HOWEVER, in the same game a character named nelson is mirrored instead. Nelson has one bionic looking arm and his sprite is simply mirrored instead of animated to turn around like benimaru, which is weird and inconsistent but oh well lol.

I was hoping they would fix the kanji issue on goku, but it doesnt look like they will, which is too bad. Overall though, im really excited for this game, got to play it at the last evo tournament and it's awesome, january cant come soon enough!

@blood your link doesnt seem to work btw lol

but yeah it's not 2d guys. It's made the same way as all mainstream fighting games are nowadays, which is 2.5D. 3D models that play on a 2D plane (ie sf4, sf5, kof14, killer instinct, mvc3, mvci, GG xrd rev 2). GG xrd rev being the closest example as it's made by the same developers arcsystem works. As for the mirroring, i suspect that it's because it's easier than animating the model to turn completely around and then animating new animations for the other side of the body for the same moves. So the fact that it's actually 3d models allows them to do the dynamic angles more easily like when they do a dust launch (pardon my GG vocab) and angles for super attacks, as well as stages where the background can get destroyed (ie deflecting ki blasts into the background and it destroys the buildings).

An example off the top of my head i can think of is in KOF14, the character benimaru has an asymmetrical design, and you can see his actual model turn around instead of being mirrored, HOWEVER, in the same game a character named nelson is mirrored instead. Nelson has one bionic looking arm and his sprite is simply mirrored instead of animated to turn around like benimaru, which is weird and inconsistent but oh well lol.

I was hoping they would fix the kanji issue on goku, but it doesnt look like they will, which is too bad. Overall though, im really excited for this game, got to play it at the last evo tournament and it's awesome, january cant come soon enough!

are you on mobile? cause it doesnt work there for me either but does on pc :S

Got in SSG goku today and was having a blast posing him! the slight adjustments made on the figure on articulation really add alot. It can even pull off that awkward goku stance rather easily! i gotta say this may be my favorite goku figure to date.

I bought two for possible headswaps arm swaps experiements but that didnt work out too well. SSB looks okay on it and so does the SWA head, the fit is a bit loose but works, although he appears slightly too skinny for those forms. Also, the arm swap went bad as the bicep swivel is on a new system. the elbow peg goes through the bicep (which is just a cover cup) and into a slot on the shoulder. I pulled thinking it was like the old figures and snapped the tip of the long elbow peg that goes into the shoulder off. It's still functional as it can still hold via friction, and the bicep cup isnt dependent on the peg to stay in place. So the left fore arm on mine can come off somewhat easily but it's not a big deal, and i do have an extra so i guess it's okay, just kind of sucks :(

here's 2 quick pics i snapped of the figure though!

SSG goku stance.jpg

SSG goku charge.jpg

fighterz does bother me with the kanji issue but doesn't bug me nearly as much as trunks sword position.When a character is on the right side of the screen its accurate when they are on the left it isn't.

Sorry, but I can't get my head around this, if they are true 3d models how they can be mirrored? It doesn't make sense! If the entire model IS rendered why do they flip it instead of just turning the model?

eBay has a coupon PSHOPAPP for $15 off $75 when purchasing on the app until 6PM PT, good for Figuarts Shenron and maybe any other 2x Figuarts combined as long as it is at least $75 or more. Lowest Shenron is $99 bringing it down to $84 with free shipping FYI.

Sorry, but I can't get my head around this, if they are true 3d models how they can be mirrored? It doesn't make sense! If the entire model IS rendered why do they flip it instead of just turning the model?

the confusion is understandable deano. Im no expert on 3d animation either, but my theory is that they create the model first. Then they probably do all the animations based on the player 1 side (the side where it's accurate). After that they would have to animate a "turning around" animation for player 2 side and then re-do all the player 1 animations but on the opposite limbs. So im theorizing that it was just easier and less time consuming to program it to mirror the model when they "turn" as opposed to doing whole new animations.

Although 3d models arent as difficult as making hand drawn sprites like back in the day or even like KOF 13 (which was a beautiful true 2d sprite game for the last gen), they still save time and effort for doing this although there will be inconsistencies like kanji and sword sheaths. it's okay for characters like ssj2 gohan or vegeta but more glaring on assymetrical designs. It just small details that's always been around in fighting games so i'm use to it, but it does bother me a bit as well tbh.

but yeah, that's my theory on it :lecture

Nice, I got really lucky with both banners before it broke again. Two int gogetas, rage trunks, two phy omegas and a third gogeta on the guaranteed ticket! Janembas banner hasnt been as kind though I did get a cooler and ssj4 gogeta! Nowhere near as many ssrs though.

If you spend money on the game I recommend heading over to mobile game whale on facebook and speaking with william wu; guy is a legend, stones at massive discounts, totally legit. Been getting stones from him since the cooler banner :p. You do have to hand over you account for him to do so though, but I trust him completely, never let me down yet.

Damn! That's a haul! Congrats! I'm pretty happy with my one Gogeta, as that was the one I wanted to score the most, but I also managed to pull a SSR Golden Frieza in between crashes (Lol). I'm brand new to the game; how do the guaranteed tickets work, Deano? I'm craving a Super Janemba.

After 8 multi on each banner you get one guaranteed card ticket, a version for each banner.

Thanks a lot, Deano! Since I got Path to Victory Gogeta, I'll use that information to get a guaranteed ticket and see if I can pull the other Gogeta. :duff

I wonder how those new rock effects will look with Dragon Ball characters. Might go well with a Tournament of Power display.

Back