S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look, if you want something, you want something, but just wonder at which point you might not want something else MORE? You can set up a savings plan, but realise what else you could be saving up for? Know what you want, and I mean REALLY find out what you REALLY want.

Realistically I'll say it if I'd come across this line now I'd probably pay a scalper price for sdcc piccolo, snatch up 18, regular Goku and ssj Goku, and now 17, maybe Krillin and just wait until they release Majin Vegeta and Ultimate Gohan, and hope for a manga gohan rerelease. And just keep it at that.

I would not pay scalper prices for anything else. Hobbies are fun, but they shouldn't own you. If you really do have tons of money, yeah who cares, but if you're someone for whom money isn't something to wipe your ass with, I would buy at the most 1 scalper priced item if it completes you're set or something, or its just that 1 pain in the ass to go through. But otherwise, I'd consider spending amounts of money that matter to things that matter. You might need a new stereo, computer, car, name it.

There's a lot of stuff that starts competing at higher price ranges that you should realise imo. It's imo not as isolated as Crisis makes it sound. It's not just a matter of time. If your recources are limited, there's no cheating out of that. You gotta prioritise. Maybe sell stuff you have (I have for example, I traded in a collection for these essentially).

This is the prime reason I really don't get massive 1/6 scale collections unless you're pretty damn loaded. There's so much else to do with big money. And it's pretty hard times for many people. Maybe you wanna save some stuff to help a fasmily member out? Maybe you need furniture? Maybe your kid needs cheering up? All I'm saying is, before you headdive into aftermarket prices, really prioritise whether this stuff is worth being ripped off to you.

If it is, then you need not ask a fellow collector whether to do it. As I said, if you want something, you want something. Only you can know how much that's worth to you...

@Silrian, I believe you're using the term "ripped off" very loosely. Now you could have just meant "after market prices" in that sentence rather than "ripped off" but I'm not too sure...?

Edited: I re-read the sentence. I'm curious how you feel after market prices are considered rip-offs?

I think bumping up a price a few bucks is okay when it gets scarse. But the aftermarket price increase and speed we deal with is imo ripping off.

People are buying these just to sell them off a year later for double if not more the price. That's ripping off to me. This stuff isn't meant for that. It's made for fans to enjoy. These aren't stocks. And they're not years old antique collectibles. Some people are relentlessly exploiting the fct that supply highly outweighs demand here, which is an unhappy and clearly unforseen circumstance by the producer. Some might find that fair free market dealings.

I call it ripping people off. We're talking ****ing action figures here. Not complicated products like cars, not inherently scarce and historically valuable stuff like gold, not signed baseballs or legally tied equity like land. Just collectibles produced for fans. Not for *******s who stumble upon quick money.

more like "yeah I bought a Datong Scouter Vegeta for $60 but he was missing a left hand and the paint is all messed up, the seller won't offer a refund, I was totally ripped off"

"ripped off" usually denotes getting something of lesser quality than what you payed for

I think bumping up a price a few bucks is okay when it gets scarse. But the aftermarket price increase and speed we deal with is imo ripping off.

People are buying these just to sell them off a year later for double if not more the price. That's ripping off to me. This stuff isn't meant for that. It's made for fans to enjoy. These aren't stocks. And they're not years old antique collectibles. Some people are relentlessly exploiting the fct that supply highly outweighs demand here, which is an unhappy and clearly unforseen circumstance by the producer. Some might find that fair free market dealings.

I call it ripping people off. We're talking ****ing action figures here. Not complicated products like cars, not inherently scarce and historically valuable stuff like gold, or legally tied equity like land. Just collectibles produced for fans. Not for *******s who stumble upon quick money.

I can completely understand that. :clap

I'm not saying it should be made illegal or anything. But in this specific situation, yeah I feel some are ripped off, regardless of the fact that it's a logical market temptation.

Doesn't mean you can't have a bit of decency, but mostly I just encourage people not to give in to scalpers. There's not just market value, there's moral value too. For me personally this line's aftermarkt is becoming immoral.

With collectibles, there seems to always be a positive and negative outcome to popularity and this line seems to demonstrate it to a tee. It would have been really interesting to have been with this line from the beginning to see the speed that these after markets took. Would anybody happen to know what it was exactly? Was it Battle of Gods that initially started the speed increases or was it before?

I'm not saying it should be made illegal or anything. But in this specific situation, yeah I feel some are ripped off, regardless of the fact that it's a logical market temptation.

Doesn't mean you can't have a bit of decency, but mostly I just encourage people not to give in to scalpers. There's not just market value, there's moral value too. For me personally this line's aftermarkt is becoming immoral.

Yeah, definitely. I'm with you 100%. I just didn't know your thoughts on the terms of after market prices and rip-off but you did a great job explaining it. Thank you.

Yeah youre right it's a borderline case whether it's an aptly chosen term, it's more emotional/morally then uh technically or legally. So I do understand you wanted that cleared up!

more like "yeah I bought a Datong Scouter Vegeta for $60 but he was missing a left hand and the paint is all messed up, the seller won't offer a refund, I was totally ripped off"

"ripped off" usually denotes getting something of lesser quality than what you payed for

Yeah. Whether you're being over charged for the product or, as you mentioned, getting less quality for what you paid for. The problem with collectibles, especially ones that are either sold out or are difficult to obtain, is there's truly no SET VALUE but, like Silrian mentioned, it's a mixture of moral and market value while considering supply and demand to decide what that set value should be.

What Im getting at is as buyers we can force a moral value upon thevmarket by being principalled. There's no black and white to that, but .i'd urge people to at least give it real thought.

And then don't complain when a rerelease does happen, becuse you made a call to pay a high price and took a gamble. Own up to that decision and don't be petty.

Granted tamashiis not very consumer friendly regarding this whol rerelease subject.

Yeah youre right it's a borderline case whether it's an aptly chosen term, it's more emotional/morally then uh technically or legally. So I do understand you wanted that cleared up!

I thought it was great that you brought up the moral aspect. I feel that is something that is truly lacking in the after market. Especially to those that actually know better.

What Im getting at is as buyers we can force a moral value upon thevmarket by being principalled. There's no black and white to that, but .i'd urge people to at least give it real thought.

And then don't complain when a rerelease does happen, becuse you made a call to pay a high price and took a gamble. Own up to that decision and don't be petty.

Granted tamashiis not very consumer friendly regarding this whol rerelease subject.

There should be a group of honest collectors that have been with this line since the beginning and those that have a deep understanding of it to come up with how this line should be valued. A guideline, really.

Yeah, I've noticed that happen quite a lot. I try to urge anybody who buys Manga Gohan to be patient.

If Tamashii KNOWS that there's a demand, I just can't understand why they refuse it. I don't give a rat's a** if they lose their "integrity." There's some collectors who don't want re-releases and it makes me wonder how could we deny others in the fan base these great figures.

I too agree with Silrian, and Big Deano's comments too. I refuse to give into scalper prices - it's kind of pride really. They want to make a **** ton off us, they want to be *******s...let them do it, as long as it won't effect me. I want SSJ Vegeta and Trunks, I REALLY do but that money is better off elsewhere. For $250, I could get SSJ Vegeta - but I could also get Manga Piccolo, Android 17, and perhaps some Zeroes or other Figuarts like the Sailor Moon ones. While there is a difference between quality and quantity, I don't feel that really applies here. I would still be getting some quality figures, more for my money and still have it on reserve. Figures are not the top of my list, my life, my family, and my friends are at the top. That extra $200 could go for them. I do love these pieces, I truly do, and SSJ Vegeta looks brilliant but not that brilliant.

Additionally this money will not go to Tamashii - only the scalpers. Scalpers gain, and everyone else loses. I frankly hate that some people ACTUALLY pay these prices too, freely at that! I've seen so many auctions for Trunks start at $200 and go to $400, that's so freaking dumb. I still feel some of us can still have a chance of finding these at some point. I got lucky and scored SDCC Gohan brand new for $70 - a price I saw him at a convention last year for and heard a few people from here even paid that price, while a seller on here gave me SSJ 3 Goku for $50 and even D-Arts Charizard, another figure marked by scalpers, for $50. I know other people here have gotten good deals recently. If Tamashii doesn't want to re-release it, their loss.

His price will be maximum.

Still surprised Normal Goku's after market prices aren't that bad honestly - worst I've seen him at was $65 at a store but they have huge issues importing everything they own apparently.

I too agree with Silrian, and Big Deano's comments too. I refuse to give into scalper prices - it's kind of pride really. They want to make a **** ton off us, they want to be *******s...let them do it, as long as it won't effect me. I want SSJ Vegeta and Trunks, I REALLY do but that money is better off elsewhere. For $250, I could get SSJ Vegeta - but I could also get Manga Piccolo, Android 17, and perhaps some Zeroes or other Figuarts like the Sailor Moon ones. While there is a difference between quality and quantity, I don't feel that really applies here. I would still be getting some quality figures, more for my money and still have it on reserve. Figures are not the top of my list, my life, my family, and my friends are at the top. That extra $200 could go for them. I do love these pieces, I truly do, and SSJ Vegeta looks brilliant but not that brilliant.

Additionally this money will not go to Tamashii - only the scalpers. Scalpers gain, and everyone else loses. I frankly hate that some people ACTUALLY pay these prices too, freely at that! I've seen so many auctions for Trunks start at $200 and go to $400, that's so freaking dumb. I still feel some of us can still have a chance of finding these at some point. I got lucky and scored SDCC Gohan brand new for $70 - a price I saw him at a convention last year for and heard a few people from here even paid that price, while a seller on here gave me SSJ 3 Goku for $50 and even D-Arts Charizard, another figure marked by scalpers, for $50. I know other people here have gotten good deals recently. If Tamashii doesn't want to re-release it, their loss.

I'm with you on Super Saiyan Vegeta. Him and SDCC Super Saiyan Goku are the ones I put my foot down on in terms of not paying a lot for them. Any other figure that I've paid quite a lot about I honestly don't feel bad about.

I can only imagine what the after market prices for Broly will be :gah:

Considering that he's already close to $70, it'll be brutal.

His price will be maximum.

Still surprised Normal Goku's after market prices aren't that bad honestly - worst I've seen him at was $65 at a store but they have huge issues importing everything they own apparently.

He's still available though. Wait until he sells out everywhere. There must have been a butt load produced which is actually great to see. He really should be a recurring figure. Re-issue situations be damned. Then he can secretly open the door for more re-issues! Bwahaha!

when you wake up the next morning & see this topic has skipped from 2656 to 2711, you'll know something amazing has happened

But I wanna be here when it happens. :( I know, I'm eagerly waiting to reload the page and see like five pages already done. When that day comes, it shall be glorious...as long as it involves Broly and not some discussion. Pfft, who wants to read five pages of THAT. :lol (I kid, I enjoy reading the discussions.)

Back