S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I really wish bandai would do, is make an accessories pack. Something other than a kamehameha effect please.

Give us some energy effects!!!
vegetaangry_zpsa8dc7530.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've never seen anything about this "proper form for a Kamehameha" before. Where does this info come from?
These guys seem to have straight arms...

I don't think there's actually a 'form' to Kamehamehas. Sometimes they put their hands together in front before they bring them back to charge the move. Sometimes they bring the hands back first. Gohan does one to Cell without even charging at all, he just stands still saying "Ka... me... ha... me..." and only moves his arms at all on the final "HAA!"
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an argument over this :/
Like I said in my original post, arms straight tends to happen in desperation, just like the picture you posted.
I saw the pic of Roshi, and I see that my assumption of the chest direction was incorrect for the general move, but it is the habbit that Goku developed when doing the move.

The Kamehameha's form is based in real world martial arts, the specifics about form come from that. Tai chi, Wing Chun, and even Karate have these positions in either kata, or offensive maneuvers, or exercise (this is where the terms heaven arm, and earth arm come from, in Karate positions they only reference the hands to heaven and earth).

The bent earth arm is the most common pose (to the best of my knowledge) for the Kamehameha:
tumblr_llz3bvn3Od1qk2rjyo1_500.jpg

th

Cell_Kamehameha.jpg

And now, chest to the side:
ultimatekamehameha.gif

164-43.jpg

Gohan_Kamehameha.jpg

kamehameha.jpg

Even Buu knows:
Kid_Buu%27s_Super_Kamehameha.jpg

I assumed that this was understood by most of the community, so I didn't think I would need to present any evidence, but here you go.

But then again, some days.....
immagini-dragon-ball-z-173.jpg

You just do the Kamehameha without giving a single ****** :lol

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an argument over this :/
Like I said in my original post, arms straight tends to happen in desperation, just like the picture you posted.
I saw the pic of Roshi, and I see that my assumption of the chest direction was incorrect for the general move, but it is the habbit that Goku developed when doing the move.

The Kamehameha's form is based in real world martial arts, the specifics about form come from that. Tai chi, Wing Chun, and even Karate have these positions in either kata, or offensive maneuvers, or exercise (this is where the terms heaven arm, and earth arm come from, in Karate positions they only reference the hands to heaven and earth).

The bent earth arm is the most common pose (to the best of my knowledge) for the Kamehameha:
*images snipped*
I assumed that this understood by most of the community, so I didn't think I would need to present any evidence, but here you go.

It is indeed the most common but it isn't always like that, which is why I started this discussion in the first place. In your first post you presented it as the only correct way.
But even looking at the Family Kamehameha picture you just posted, Goku and Goten have their elbows locked, and Gohan has both of his arms bent rather than just one. If their torsos are not facing forward it is not by much, Gohan in particular looks straight on.

I'm not sure that they were breaking form in desperation either, since when that happens, Goku is only just starting his Kamehameha. It is true that the other two are losing to Broly in a beam struggle however.

I'm just skeptical that there is any "form" for a Kamehameha, aside from the hand poses and stuff. This discussion is the first I've ever heard of any rules about what the arms have to do aside from being "thrust forward".

Apparently this is widely accepted by the community. I know what the form looks like, so you don't have to show me any more pictures of it, but is there any time in the series that they actually say that it's meant to be done like that? If there isn't, then it's a fan theory and I started this debate for nothing.

but is there any time in the series that they actually say that it's meant to be done like that? If there isn't, then it's a fan theory and I started this debate for nothing.
Muten Roshi never even said to thrust out your arms, or even suggested that they should go into horse stance....Goku just shot that sh** :lol

The whole idea of a Kamehameha form only exists because they draw a similar pose every time a character does it. You're right, thinking of it now....I don't believe any character in the fiction ever specified that you should even shoot it from your hands :lol

So yeah, since it was never said, I suppose someone could pose Goku firing from his butt and it could be correct. My mistake to insinuate that there was only 1 way to do it.
I only meant to say that the arm bent with chest to the side was the "common" way to do it, I should have checked my wording :/

Muten Roshi never even said to thrust out your arms, or even suggested that they should go into horse stance....Goku just shot that sh** :lol

The whole idea of a Kamehameha form only exists because they draw a similar pose every time a character does it, I don't believe any character in the fiction ever specified that you should even shoot it from your hands :lol

So yeah, since it was never said, I suppose someone could pose Goku firing from his butt and it could be correct. My mistake to insinuate that there was only 1 way to do it, I only meant to say that the arm bent with chest to the side was the "common" way to do it, I should have checked my wording :/

Ok then, sorry for wasting so much time! I misunderstood you, guess I'm pretty thick...
And yeah, sometimes they just fire it however they feel like...
Feet_Kamehameha.jpg
Case in point! lol

What the hell! how do I open a case! Mine isn't due to arrive for another month but should I file one now? and of course since I bought mine prices have risen $20! Jesus Christ, anyone have experience with getting refunds on ebay orders that never arrive?

They're pretty easy to deal with as long as you're not past the deadline.

While we're on the topic. Is it just me, or is it strange that Goku keeps missing with the Kamehameha wave!? Am I the only one that recalls that early on in Z, and also in DragonBall before that, Goku was able to bend/redirect the beam by manoeuvring his arms - much like Yamcha's spirit ball attack. I think the last time Goku can be seen using this attack is against Frieza, as a Super Saiyan. While I do love a good Instant-transmission/Kamehameha combination, it would have been good to see this Kamehameha technique in action again. Did Super Buu maybe utilise this technique against Vegetto at some point?

Also, how do you pronounce it? Kah-me-hah-meh-hah or Kame-hah-mehah?

Last edited:
Buu did actually, you are right. I think he stopped directing it because they can sense energy, and the kamehameha is quite slow moving so enemies that can sense energy could quickly dodge it.

My theory is that it's like driving a car, if you're going really really fast in a overly large vehicle it's hard to make turns. This isn't based on anything though :/

Yeah I guess it just became impractical. Like, Cell would be able to dodge the Kamehameha if it had been redirected, but he can't anticipate Instant Transmission.

Supernatural, usually every syllable is seperated. In fact, in the japanese spelling, it deliberately uses the simpler, syllable-linked characters rather than kanji, so that they can say each syllable separately in speech bubbles.
The only time I remember someone saying it like "...meHA!" was during Krillin training on Roshi's island or something.

Kamehameha was an old Hawaiin King. I believe his name was pronounced quickly as one word. In Dragon Ball I always took them breaking it up into the separate syllables simply as a function of their gathering energy, not because it was supposed to be pronounced that way. Nearly every name in DBZ is a reference to or parody of something and I've always taken the Kamehameha to be a nod to the King.

Kamehameha was an old Hawaiin King. I believe his name was pronounced quickly as one word. In Dragon Ball I always took them breaking it up into the separate syllables simply as a function of their gathering energy, not because it was supposed to be pronounced that way. Nearly every name in DBZ is a reference to or parody of something and I've always taken the Kamehameha to be a nod to the King.
That Hawaiin King I heard somewhere that his name was pronounced like "Ka-mayha-mayha" which happens to be similar to the Ocean dub version of the move :lol

That's what I heard anyway.

Yes, the name Kamehameha comes from the Hawaiian King. Toriyama's wife came up with it if I remember. It also fits well due to Master Roshi being the Kame Sen'nin (turtle hermit).

There are times in the show when they say it quickly, and in the videogames.

Given that it's a Japanese word, when you pronounce it, you don't really put emphasis on any syllable. You just say it.

that redirection thing ended with the frieza fight, both were too fast to get hit fwith something like that, goku does a lot of tricks to get frieza hit with his own power. from that fight onwards he either did instant transmition and kamehame ha or ones so huge they were inescapable

Back