rismo repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rismo, I really love the chalky effect. That's the effect I'm looking for. I need to find some of that stuff you are using--the Testors dullcote or Krylon matte acrylic. I have just been hired to repaint some Mego scale heads and I really hate the doll shine.

thanks so much, everyone! got some new wips and other pics....

put finishing touches on Ford...I can't seem to leave him alone! I think he's done now...
_MG_2953.jpg

wips!...so excited to paint up ol' Johnny Locke. one of my all-time fav characters and one of the best headsculpts of anybody I've ever seen! just laid down basecoats so far...
_MG_2971.jpg

Erick Sosa's John Connor is an awesome sculpt. It was cast in a dark gray resin so you really gotta lay on the base coat washes to prime the guy. Hopefully his future stuff is cast in white. Would really be helpful for the painters :whip

Here he is is all done...

_MG_2977.jpg

_MG_2980.jpg

_MG_2974.jpg

_MG_2990.jpg

Thank you JJ! Connor looks awesome! Although I've never noticed how squinty his eyes are. Hehe, still awesome!

Thats intense! Especially that last shot. Amazing.

Is it just me or does Bale look like he's aged by 10 years for the new Terminator film since The Dark Knight?... I don't know why I get the impression like he's a druggie with that look.

This guy is such a joy to paint. I could seriously work on these all day.

Andy B's John Locke sculpt is immaculate!

_MG_3047.jpg

_MG_3045.jpg

_MG_3044.jpg

_MG_3048.jpg

_MG_3053.jpg

_MG_3054.jpg

_MG_3055.jpg

_MG_3061.jpg

"Don't tell me what I can't do! Ever!!"

hehehe

I'm not sure if it comes off in the photos, but I really tried to capture the look of old man stubble on his face and where he shaves his head.

My apologies if the lighting seems a little weird. Had a fluorescent modeling lamp on the right side and a bounced flash off reddish wood to the left. Rest assured he is very smooth and even in real life. His cheeks are a little sun kissed, though.

Thanks for looking!
JJ

THat locke skin work is flawless, the stubble is phenomenal. Not sure on the eye position, looks a little too sinister, but great job!

Its great to have this place where you can see the work of so many different artists. I've loved all the painted Lockes so far, everyone brings something different to it, but you've acheived a very natural look. Very realistic! Of all things the brows stand out as my favorite aspect. Truly looks real.

very nice detail. the eyebrows and stubble are awesome in their subtlety. great flesh tones. i can't tell from the photos but maybe add a bit of warmth on the ears where the skin would be thinner, like you did with the cheeks, for a little extra realism; either way, rismo you knocked this one out of the park!

Nice job on Locke. What's your average price for a paint?

Thanks, Evilface! Usually I get liquitex acrylics for around $3 each from dickblick.com, but sometimes in a pinch I have to break the bank and spend $6 on them at Michael's crafts stores...

I keed I keed. Seriously, though. I'm not sure if it's taboo or what to post about pricing. Seems like most painters taking commissions keep those conversations behind PM. I don't mind being open, though.

I really just started painting 1/6 last month. I was not familiar with the commissions process before then, but at the rate PMs were coming in I had to learn quickly. I had conversations with some of the painters on here whom I would consider "masters" and it seems like the average rate is around $50 for the run-of-the-mill repaint. So I set my personal goals to turn out work that might be considered on par with the work of these fine fellas and have been slowly ramping up my commission rates as I improved. I started out pretty low, at least I think so, to be fair to people willing to trust their collectibles to my rookie brush.

I do illustration by profession and my hourly rates for that are much easier for me to go by. For illustration, I usually bill around $65-$80/hr depending on the work. To charge those rates for painting heads seems unfair until I feel like the quality of work is up there and I'm more comfortable. Plus right now I'm spending much longer than an hour on one Locke! :)

For now, I feel like I am still in my "apprenticeship" phase of 1/6 painting and I'm currently doing heads like Locke here for $45 shipped in the US and $50 shipped internationally.

Sorry for such a long answer to your short question. I just didn't know how to answer publicly without throwing it all out there. Nobody's balked yet at my rates. I'm even pretty booked up, at least as much as I'd want to be. But if rates discourage others from sending a commission, I totally understand and I'm cool with it. Times are tough, but I'm just doing this for fun and I'd much rather be painting my own heads or playing mario galaxy with my little boy. But it is very fun and awesome practice. :)

Thanks again!

Back