Premium Format Rey and BB-8 Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhmmm something is off.. Maybe the lips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was the first thing I noticed, maybe a tad smaller would be better

Yeah, the mouth looks just slightly off. Everything else looks perfect, hoping they can tweak it a little before release. But when they first showed off the pics on their upcoming releases page it was the first thing I noticed.

As soon as the first initial Rey Pf banner arose, IMO the likeness was good, not perfect. But you can instantly recognize that that is Rey, and that is alright with me.

So going in seeing these pics, I know it's not going to be an exact face rendition of Daisy, just hopeful its close to that initial pic SS put out. They could tweak some little details, but for me sculpt is a pass, and what's more important is the paint app

FotorCreated.jpg

Her likeness is HARD. I've tried my hand at it and came nowhere close:lol I think this looks pretty damn close. I think my biggest issue is she has a blank stare. I wish she was looking off to the side or something just to give it more life. I'll wait till final PO pics go live to make a decision...i'm about 50:50 right now...

Hmm... looking at the whole statue, it does really nothing to me, looks uninspired (and separate BB8 confirmed)

14523099_10157445412835468_6353454602462363848_n.jpg

Looking at the whole statue, she looks off balance. There is really no way a person would be hunching that far over standing on a slanted surface like that...feels unnatural. I dunno, I was stoked about this piece but there might be too many little things I'm not crazy about. I don't like that BB-8 is separate either...unless he's the EX.

Looking at the whole statue, she looks off balance. There is really no way a person would be hunching that far over standing on a slanted surface like that...feels unnatural. I dunno, I was stoked about this piece but there might be too many little things I'm not crazy about. I don't like that BB-8 is separate either...unless he's the EX.

I'm hoping BB-8 is sold separately like how Dawg and Lobo were. Also hoping there's no peg on BB-8 so I can put it on the droids base and display him with them.

its crazy how bitchy people can be... man even in real life people look different day to day ... looking at that statue I see daisy ... and that's what Im looking for. I love the set.. but still would love to see more pictures

"Face is to long and skinny"
"The likeness of Daisy Ridley is off quite a bit"

"It kind of looks like the eyes are a bit too far apart"
"Yeah, the mouth looks just slightly off"
"Oh. She looks off here. Like her face is too puffy or maybe the eyes too small."
"Hmm... looking at the whole statue, it does really nothing to me, looks uninspired"
"Looking at the whole statue, she looks off balance."
"Uhmmm something is off.. Maybe the lips?"

So ....... fail of the decade?

its crazy how bitchy people can be... man even in real life people look different day to day ... looking at that statue I see daisy ... and that's what Im looking for. I love the set.. but still would love to see more pictures

I haven't really seen anyone getting bitchy. Just showing concern or disappointment. Considering that prices have been rising for PF's, I don't think that holding statues to a certain standard of quality is a bad thing. At the end of the day it comes down to personal pref. If some people like the sculpt, they can get. They people who don't like the sculpt are more than welcome to not purchase and offer their opinions on why the sculpt is good enough for them to drop SS's rising prices for it.

For me personally, I think the mouth isn't correct. It immediately stood out for me. Depending on the price I may be able to overlook it, but if not I'm sure we'll get another Rey PF in the future. Probably with a lightsaber (that hopefully lights up).

"Oh. She looks off here. Like her face is too puffy or maybe the eyes too small."
"Hmm... looking at the whole statue, it does really nothing to me, looks uninspired"

Not if you don't mind buying a statue of Daisy's stunt double :)

Joking aside, I am curious if they used a digital file to sculpt her portrait or if it was hand done. I know Iron Studios uses digital files of the actors and they do a really good job of accurately capturing the actor's likeness in their statues.

attachment.php

I don't think anyone is being too bitchy whatsoever. Why can't people find things wrong with it? There ARE things wrong with it. It's never going to be perfect. I've never liked when people want literal shrunken actors when talking about Hot Toys (which get the closest likeness of any format to an actor), however, with that said, you can't say people look different day to day and let it all slide. Rey looked the same throughout the movie...this isn't a statue of Daisy after doing the laundry on a Sunday.

The quotes used above to say fail of the decade is also silly. There IS something off with the statue, and people are just trying to pinpoint what it may be. The promo image is photo-shopped (which they always are, so it's fine) and lit and angled at a way that's flattering to the piece. The actual images shown -- at least from what we've seen so far (which is very little and could just be bad shots, it's happened) -- don't flatter the piece as nicely.

I was eager to see in-person shots of this today, and when I did I kind of went, "Hm..." not "Insta-buy!!" and not, "Well that's a definite no," but just...that something was off and it hasn't spoken to me fully yet. After some more images, closer and nicely shot over the next day or so, opinions may change. As of now, it kind of looks like she just got her wisdom teeth out. Something in the jaw...just something.

It's more this image above that's throwing it off. The image here looks a bit better...angles will always change things and looks, as will lighting, which is why more pictures will help. I mean, if you scroll up at the one above, and then down to this, they almost look like two different statues.

attachment.php

Also, if you're happy with it then who cares what others think? All I know is that with shipping, import and conversion fees, I'll be looking at $1000 for this piece, if I pick it up, so for sure I'm going to say if something is off or if I just don't like it. It'd be pretty damn boring if everyone just said, "Oh man, I love it. Even though it doesn't look right, who cares. Take my money," with every statue that's released. That's never the case, and that's good. Some people will never be happy, but when pieces like Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword are revealed and people's jaws just drop because of how gorgeous it is, then you know they've nailed it. When people are hesitant and trying to figure out why something looks off, you know that something has gone wrong.

I'm guessing anyone that's a bit disappointed with the few pictures so far were all hoping to love it. I know I was...but I don't. It looks off. I could get four Hot Toys for the price of this, and I may still. These are far too expensive these days to just settle with whatever is shown. Hopefully other shots will show it in a better light. I'm actually 100% hopeful that that happens, as I'd love to have a Rey PF.

As for the pose, I'm not really a fan of it. I wasn't when it was first revealed, and I still think a more action staff pose, or even her more standing straight pose with the staff would've worked better. I like the idea of them looking out at the horizon, but it just doesn't look overly natural here.

89-02857_star_wars_rey_pod_teammate_prod.jpeg

But again, hopefully the flow of pictures that'll come over the next day or so will show it in a better light. I've often found that Hot Toys look better in person than they do in most pictures...pictures can be unflattering, which seems odd, but they can distort things at times (which the two images above show.) I think we're all in agreement that more pictures will help...there's always controversy and back and forth thoughts when first images are released for a would-be popular piece!

I don't think anyone is being too bitchy whatsoever. Why can't people find things wrong with it? There ARE things wrong with it. It's never going to be perfect. I've never liked when people want literal shrunken actors when talking about Hot Toys (which get the closest likeness of any format to an actor), however, with that said, you can't say people look different day to day and let it all slide. Rey looked the same throughout the movie...this isn't a statue of Daisy after doing the laundry on a Sunday.

The quotes used above to say fail of the decade is also silly. There IS something off with the statue, and people are just trying to pinpoint what it may be. The promo image is photo-shopped (which they always are, so it's fine) and lit and angled at a way that's flattering to the piece. The actual images shown -- at least from what we've seen so far (which is very little and could just be bad shots, it's happened) -- don't flatter the piece as nicely.

I was eager to see in-person shots of this today, and when I did I kind of went, "Hm..." not "Insta-buy!!" and not, "Well that's a definite no," but just...that something was off and it hasn't spoken to me fully yet. After some more images, closer and nicely shot over the next day or so, opinions may change. As of now, it kind of looks like she just got her wisdom teeth out. Something in the jaw...just something. It's more this image above that's throwing it off. The image here looks a bit better...angles will always change things and looks, as will lighting, which is why more pictures will help:

Also, if you're happy with it then who cares what others think? All I know is that with shipping, import and conversion fees, I'll be looking at $1000 for this piece, if I pick it up, so for sure I'm going to say if something is off or if I just don't like it. It'd be pretty damn boring if everyone just said, "Oh man, I love it. Even though it doesn't look right, who cares. Take my money," with every statue that's released. That's never the case, and that's good. Some people will never be happy, but when pieces like Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword are revealed and people's jaws just drop because of how gorgeous it is, then you know they've nailed it. When people are hesitant and trying to figure out why something looks off, you know that something has gone wrong.

I'm guessing anyone that's a bit disappointed with the few pictures so far were all hoping to love it. I know I was...but I don't. It looks off. I could get four Hot Toys for the price of this, and I may still. These are far too expensive these days to just settle with whatever is shown. Hopefully other shots will show it in a better light. I'm actually 100% hopeful that that happens, as I'd love to have a Rey PF.

As for the pose, I'm not really a fan of it. I wasn't when it was first revealed, and I still think a more action staff pose, or even her more standing straight pose with the staff would've worked better. I like the idea of them looking out at the horizon, but it just doesn't look overly natural here. But again, hopefully the flow of pictures that'll come over the next day or so will show it in a better light.

:goodpost:

Well said, all of it. The part quoted above pretty much sums up my feelings when seeing the first picture. I really want to like this and I am hoping some more pictures will give me a better impression. It's either this or the Hot Toys version for me.

Great post Golden Boy, agree with all of it. I think it's a solid piece if you're a fan of the character (and there are no alternatives in 1/4 scale yet), just that her expression is blank. And considering this will probably be around $600 shipped and close to $800 with BB8, I also think people have the right to nitpick about it.

Not if you don't mind buying a statue of Daisy's stunt double :)

Joking aside, I am curious if they used a digital file to sculpt her portrait or if it was hand done. I know Iron Studios uses digital files of the actors and they do a really good job of accurately capturing the actor's likeness in their statues.

Pretty sure SSC does 99% of their likenesses by hand...no scans.

As for people giving their opinions, there is nothing nasty in the comments that I have read. Daisy Ridley's likeness is EXTREMELY difficult to achieve. I bet even if they had used a scan, people would still complain...I'm 100% sure they would. My critique is more in the stance and her blank lifeless expression. I would have preferred her standing a bit more upright to counter the slant in the terrain and maybe be looking off to the side...just adds more interest and life. Definitely still intrigued but I'll wait for more pics and price to make a decision...

Back