Premium Format Rey and BB-8 Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

She's looking like a confused primate in this picture. I know a lot of SS's human PFs look better from some angles than others, but this is definitely a piece I'm going to wait for in-hand pics to hit before I consider ordering.

I'd still like to see different angles.
The more I look at this recent picture the more I dislike the pose.

Not sure if this link will work or not, but at the 12 minute mark or so, there's a pre-show video showing off Rey. The quality isn't great, but the close-ups of the face continue to have me go back and forth. To me it feels like it's something in the jaw/mouth area. Again, just throwing this up so people can see more while we wait for more. I do love the clothing...I think they did a fantastic job capturing her outfit style and look perfectly.

thanks for the link ! I just can not find anything on this piece that seams to bother me.. they capture her pose and likeness just right

Here's a terrible picture I took today:

06cc1SGP09t1PbxaOoH5frF9E9bTOuUSPOB-vRUhXNkTKligOw8zVrL7LA9hwPz0_uSnKBaNGzAQkQ=w1920-h1080-rw-no

Damn cell phone focused on the jolly guy behind Rey!

I will say that my immediate impression was that something seemed off with the face too. And yes, she does look a little off balance.

Some better pics from SS and on FB
This is really a good sculpted and painted prototype. I can see why they did this pose, ala previous Luke looking twin suns, wish it would be more natural to what Rey's character would actually do.

7-1.jpg
14494719_10154523162093361_8931755990414017370_n.jpg
5-1.jpg
6-1.jpg
4-2.jpg

Here's a terrible picture I took today:

06cc1SGP09t1PbxaOoH5frF9E9bTOuUSPOB-vRUhXNkTKligOw8zVrL7LA9hwPz0_uSnKBaNGzAQkQ=w1920-h1080-rw-no

Damn cell phone focused on the jolly guy behind Rey!

I will say that my immediate impression was that something seemed off with the face too. And yes, she does look a little off balance.

:lol :lol that's just funny :) Yeah, I'm hoping that they straighten her out a little bit. She does look slightly tilted, which is never good. Easy fix, but you just don't want it to get worse. Maybe it's just the visual and it's an illusion of sorts, but it should be easy enough to take that away.

Some better pics from SS and on FB
This is really a good sculpted and painted prototype. I can see why they did this pose, ala previous Luke looking twin suns, wish it would be more natural to what Rey's character would actually do.

View attachment 296982
View attachment 296983
View attachment 296985
View attachment 296986
View attachment 296987

:goodpost:

Thanks for these ones. Some of these angles look a lot better! That's the weird thing with photos. I took a photo of my Leia Hot Toy, and was going to send it to a friend but thought, "Man, this picture doesn't do it justice." Just made it look unflattering. I particularly like these two shots.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, I am definitely getting it. There's plenty to love about it and what might be "off" isn't going to ruin having this in my collection. Heck, the original Luke PF looks nothing like Mark Hamill but I still enjoy it as well. Granted, it cost less than half what this will cost...

Pretty sure SSC does 99% of their likenesses by hand...no scans.

As for people giving their opinions, there is nothing nasty in the comments that I have read. Daisy Ridley's likeness is EXTREMELY difficult to achieve. I bet even if they had used a scan, people would still complain...I'm 100% sure they would. My critique is more in the stance and her blank lifeless expression. I would have preferred her standing a bit more upright to counter the slant in the terrain and maybe be looking off to the side...just adds more interest and life. Definitely still intrigued but I'll wait for more pics and price to make a decision...

Yeah I thought it might be hand sculpted... SS should really consider going digital on real life actors portraits, the bodies can be hand sculpted if they want to.... Although your probably right, people would still nitpick but I think the accuracy would be a lot better given what I have seen Iron Studios and Gentle Giant do with the digital scanning...

As far as waiting for another Rey statue, unless this sells like hotcakes I'm not sure SS would do another one plus with a new Star Wars movie coming out every year there are tons of other characters to do.... because of this I'm a little tempted to get it since my 10 year old niece would go crazy over me having this in my collection... She's a huge fan of Rey... :)

Every sculpted part of this was done by Matthew Black who almost exclusively sculpts in 3D. Most Sideshow pieces have been 3D sculpted for years. It changes nothing, actors likenesses are just difficult to nail period. People give too much credit to 3D vs hand sculpted. Same goes for 3D scans and 3D files from videogames and such, they still need to be worked and refined so they're not automatically ready for production, at all.

Even though I have now got out of the PF game (courtesy of sideshows pretty drastic mark ups) , I was still really looking forward to seeing this piece. Now that I have seen it, I'm glad I made the decision I did .
When I saw and finally received my hot toys Rey and BB-8 I was amazed ..as I have been with all of their products. Yes ..they are essentially dolls but Sideshow could learn a great deal from their sculptors!! I have never liked ANY of the human likenesses Sideshow have released. You are never going to get a perfect likeness , but for the price point they are now charging and along with the scale , they should be pretty damn near perfect. ..there's no excuse. The same goes for the troopers etc. How can hot toys get 12" figures so right yet Sideshow struggle with them at 1/4 scale?? The Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper and Snowtrooper are so off the mark I ended up selling them all. I never thought I'd make the switch but now..I'm so glad I did. Was just tired of buying things and having to convince myself they are 'ok' ..settling for something that's just meh.

Last edited:
Back