Repaints and customs by icruise

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that Dagobah Luke set up icruise. :rock I think you did a particularly nice job with the paint and hair on Yoda.

It's been a while but I thought I would add my Jabba repaint to this thread.

I've been wanting to repaint Jabba for a while, and I was inspired by Customikey to finally give it a try.

The Sideshow Jabba is actually painted pretty well from the factory (aside from the eyes), but it always bothered me that it's the wrong color. The ROTJ Jabba is an orange and green color scheme, not tan and green. I kind of wonder if Lucas hasn't decided that Jabba is supposed to be this color, since the CGI ones and most of the toys and statues seem closer to it than the actual movie look.

Anyway, kudos to the people who sculpted this Jabba. It's simply a fantastic sculpt and hands down the best Jabba ever made in any format.

ss_jabba_repaint1.jpg

ss_jabba_repaint2.jpg

ss_jabba_repaint4.jpg

I went ahead and repainted my Gamorrean Guard. There were two reasons that I had put it off for so long. The first was that I don't really have a good place to put him in my Jabba setup, since the filing cabinet I have Jabba on is only a little bigger than the throne itself. The other was that I wasn't sure what to do about the clothes. Hasbro sewed his clothes on him, so there's no easy way to undress him. In the end, I just removed the stitching in the back and was able to remove the clothing. After I was done with the painting, I redressed him and used some fabric glue to reattach it the way it was. After I finished painting him, I discovered that the sandals are indeed supposed to be black, but I'm not sure if I'll go back and change that.

hasbro_gamorrean_repaint1.jpg

hasbro_gamorrean_repaint2.jpg

I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is the entry from the rebelscum.com archives. The sculpt is great, but the paint is really pretty horrible, at least on the face.

sw03acgamorreanguardfront.jpg

After repainting most of the other parts of my Jabba setup, C-3PO kind of stood out. It's got some nice chrome, but it seems too light, and there's no shading or anything so it doesn't look great. I've wanted to try repainting (well, weathering) the Hasbro C-3PO for a while, but I wasn't sure how to do it. The chrome is very shiny and smooth, and doesn't take paint well (at least the kind of paint I'm using). It just sort of beads up on the surface.

So I decided to use some very fine sandpaper and scratch up the surface first and then use paint to darken him overall and add shading. You do have to be careful, since if you sand too much you will reveal the black plastic underneath. I also repainted the wire area at his waist because the background was gray instead of black as it should be. I think it turned out pretty good, but I think I can do better if I try again. I may get another Hasbro 12" C-3PO and give it another go. This figure can be difficult to take good photos of because he's still fairly reflective.

hasbro_c-3po_repaint1.jpg

hasbro_c-3po_repaint2.jpg

I've started a Jabba focus recently, and even have a blog about it, so I've been getting all of the Jabba pieces I can find, and also did some customizing.

Since the 3 3/4" figure line has the most characters from Jabba's palace, I've wanted to put together a Jabba display with all of the best figures in that line. But the key figure -- that of Jabba himself -- is a bit of a problem. The best one is the Ultra Jabba figure, but it's got some issues with both the sculpt and paint. And of course I wanted a throne, but the only one available is the vintage one, which is a little lacking in detail and finish compared to today's figures.

(The "before picture here is actually my other Ultra Jabba that I'm keeping unchanged, but you get the idea.)
ultra_jabba_repaint1.jpg

So I decided to repaint the Ultra Jabba figure and the vintage throne to serve as the centerpiece of my 3 3/4" Jabba's palace display. I removed one of the fingers on the Ultra Jabba's hands, because as we all know Jabba only has 3 fingers including the thumb. Then I repainted him. It was pretty straightforward. I cut down the very long tongue that the Ultra Jabba comes with. I might have gone a little overboard with this, but I didn't want that obscenely long tongue, but I also had to fill the gap in his mouth with something.

ultra_jabba_repaint2.jpg

ultra_jabba_repaint7.jpg

ultra_jabba_repaint9.jpg

The throne was a little more involved. I dissembled the throne and used a little epoxy putty to fill in the holes in the center two gargoyle heads, resculpting the teeth to match what was there. Then I spray painted everything black to prime it and went to work. I was able to get a pretty good stone effect with many layers of paint and weathering, and I was pleased with the bronze effect I got for the metal pieces.

I used the water pipe that came with Ultra Jabba (and this is the only piece I didn't touch, since it's pretty good as it is). I also made a piece of "animal hide" for Jabba to lie on, partially because it looks good and partially because the two painted surfaces would stick together if I didn't have it between them.

ultra_jabba_repaint3.jpg

ultra_jabba_repaint4.jpg

ultra_jabba_repaint6.jpg

The doors still function and open to reveal a nasty sludge inside.

ultra_jabba_repaint5.jpg

I'm not quite as happy with this one as the others, but I thought I should try repainting the vintage Jabba. The sculpt is really quite good, but the way the articulation is done makes the overall package not quite as appealing as the Ultra Jabba, I think.

vintage_jabba_repaint1.jpg

The eyes in particular were a problem, since on the vintage figure they are made of clear plastic and would look odd in the middle of a repaint. I covered them up with some epoxy putty, and also covered up the part of his lip that had a place for his water pipe to fit.

vintage_jabba_repaint3.jpg
vintage_jabba_repaint4.jpg

My next Jabba is the AMT/ERTL plastic model kit. It's actually a model of Jabba's entire throne room and most of the aliens in it, but the base that you're supposed to use for it is very very flimsy plastic and a lot of the models are lacking in detail, so I decided to convert the throne to a stand-alone version and just do Jabba and the major characters. The sculpts aren't great, but it was still kind of fun working in this scale again. I started out painting 25mm models.

These models are made of injection molded plastic and most of them consist of two half pieces that you put together, so there are sometimes gaps or extra plastic. I did a lot of scraping of mold lines. With Jabba in particular, I had to use some epoxy putty to fill in the gaps.

jabba_ertl_model3.jpg

amt-ertl_jabba1.jpg

amt-ertl_jabba3.jpg

Here is a 3 3/4" figure for scale.
amt-ertl_jabba2.jpg

Wow....so i'm a noob to this thread....and i must say...u have improved alot since the very first pictures u posted!!! Kepp it up icruise!! U rock!:rock

This is my first custom Mighty Mugg -- Jabba the Hutt. I used this brilliant design from Rockslide on the Mighty Muggs Forums, although I did change it a little bit. It's a modified Plo Koon Mugg.

custom_jabba_mugg1.jpg
custom_jabba_mugg2.jpg

I used a Plo Koon Mighty Mugg as the base, because he has the "skirt" instead of separate legs like most figures. I added some screws to serve as a sort of armature for the clay I was going to use for his tail.

custom_jabba_mugg3.jpg

Then I sculpted the tail out of Fimo modeling clay and baked it. Unfortunately, his head melted a tiny bit in the oven, making it a little misshapen. But then again, Jabba's real head was misshapen as well.

custom_jabba_mugg4.jpg

Back