Religulous

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it there as well, and agree about that Priest. He was awesome. But my favorite was probably the Church of Cannabis guy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/4hOtsHOZVLc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/4hOtsHOZVLc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>:rotfl

Afroman was living in Hattiesburg, MS when I was an undergraduate, and he would play at USM and stuff. Funny, I haven't thought about him since then, and didn't even know people outside of town had heard that song :lol

Afroman was living in Hattiesburg, MS when I was an undergraduate, and he would play at USM and stuff. Funny, I haven't thought about him since then, and didn't even know people outside of town had heard that song :lol

:rotfl....2001!?...I'm thinking before 9/11.............

Thought this movie was funny, made alot of good points, points nay sayers refuse to look at, shows what a crock religion in general really is.

People got sucked into religions 2000 years ago, cuz they had nothing else to believe in, no technology/science/ etc. IMO

it was funny in parts. and some points/observations he made were spot on.

but overall i think the guy is just full of

he claims that his point of view is that "he doesn't know" and wants to find out. rubbish. right from the start, his mind was already made up.

he had zero intention of genuinely and impartially examining if religion has any truth, validity or relevance today.

he went in there with the pre-determined agenda to tear organized religion down. and that makes him a big fat hypocrite. cos he is no better than the bigots he's making fun of. he's a bigot himself.

the only difference is, his "religion" is not doubt. it is biased cynicism.

epic fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously he was tryiing to push his view on religion, which was to expose how silly it can be, for lack of a better word. I think he accomplished that.

Since religion is based on faith, I don't believe it's possible to show any specific organized religion as having truth, validity and relevance today.

People got sucked into religions 2000 years ago

People got sucked into religion thousands of years before that!

he had zero intention of genuinely and impartially examining if religion has any truth, validity or relevance today

No one can demonstrate religion has truth. Maybe you missed the entire point of the film?

he went in there with the pre-determined agenda to tear organized religion down. and that makes him a big fat hypocrite. cos he is no better than the bigots he's making fun of. he's a bigot himself.

Laughing at people who believe in leprechauns isn't bigotry.

You have no faith in anything?

This merely opens up semantic gaming. Religious faith is a particular thing; hardly equivalent to a belief that most people are basically good, for example. People who believe in god(s) belong in the same category as people who believe in leprechauns.

Which is, of course, the entire point of faith, that one believes in the utter absence of any evidence whatsoever.

I have faith that the sun will "rise" tomorrow even though I am aware that it is technically possible (albeit statistically improbable), that it won't.

But when it comes to abstract things like religion and the supernatural, I have absolutely no faith.

I have faith that the sun will "rise" tomorrow even though I am aware that it is technically possible (albeit statistically improbable), that it won't.

This is not, of course, an example of faith. The semantic gaming is very instructional, because it reveals the faithful* to be either ignorant or disingenuous. Which is why the chap outside the Vatican in Religulous was such a welcome presence. Faith /= belief.

* Specifically the people who engage in the "you have faith in capitalism" etc nonsense semantic gaming. Many people of faith understand what faith actually is, and so my comment does not apply (these people are rarely foolish enough to enter the logic/science arguments). Try not to take false umbrage!

Have you not seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

:rotfl....2001!?...I'm thinking before 9/11.............
Don't know what you are referring to exactly, but I was at school there from 1998-2002.

And I did see the Jay and Silent Bob movie, but probably wasn't paying much attention. I honestly don't remember anything about it except it had Will Ferrell and Daredevil in one scene :confused:

Also, I'm old and my memory doesn't function like it should.

We believe in nothing Lebowski, nothing!

We believe in nothing Lebowski, nothing!

:lol:lol:lol
549c6dc6-7055-497e-98f6-aa52ca9c486b

This merely opens up semantic gaming. Religious faith is a particular thing; hardly equivalent to a belief that most people are basically good, for example. People who believe in god(s) belong in the same category as people who believe in leprechauns.

Which is, of course, the entire point of faith, that one believes in the utter absence of any evidence whatsoever.

His comment sounded like faith was an outdated concept making religion false.

And, BTW, despite faith, there's lots of physical evidence to support claims made by religion.

Since religion is based on faith, I don't believe it's possible to show any specific organized religion as having truth, validity and relevance today.

well not ALL religions are based on faith. buddhism, for example. it is a religion of reason and self-help. it does not rely on one's belief in an external force to help oneself. (please do not take this as an attack on other faith-based religions.)

and going back to your point, religions being based on faith does NOT preclude reason and common sense as well. after all, every major religion teaches that killing is wrong. that's nothing to do with belief, it's just a simple truth. and religion has even MORE validity today than ever. modern human beings need the guidance and solace that religion offers. now i'll be the first to admit that a lot of the religious teachings have been warped by man, saying it's okay to hate those that are different, or even kill in the name of the religion. but that is down to human failings, not the failing of the religion itself.

No one can demonstrate religion has truth. Maybe you missed the entire point of the film?

Laughing at people who believe in leprechauns isn't bigotry.

i did not miss the point of the film at all. like i said, i found a lot of the stuff maher said to be pretty spot on. and quite funny at times, esp when he's making fun of those who so obviously have issues. like people who believe in leprechauns. i can appreciate satire and a good roasting as much as anyone. :)

but maybe, saying "no one can demonstrate religion has truth" is a little short-sighted, no? you are not giving the benefit of the doubt to teachings that tell u the right way, the decent way, to live your life. that is "truth".

of course, u might say that u don't need religion to point out obvious stuff like killing and stealing is wrong. but many religions don't just stop at saying: "oh killing = bad." they try to impart a wisdom so you understand WHY killing is bad. not just for the victim, but for the perpetrator too. it basically tries to help give u the insight to not even WANT to kill. i know again, this seems contrary to what is going on out there with many religious fanatics. but they are simply NOT following the truth of their religions.

if at the end of the day, u are an atheist or agnostic, but u have the good sense and decency to live a moral and peaceful life without hurting anyone, then it's great too... then u ARE a religious person, in the truest sense of the word. u may not like labels, but actually it doesn't (or shouldn') matter what u label yourself. what matters is function, not form.

:peace

Back