Religulous

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are far more than two strains of Buddhism and yes, some do indeed include the concept of divinity among their plumage. Your definition of religion opens up any philosophy to the term, which renders it a bit useless. These things are confusing enough without muddying terms.

i'm curious as to where u get your information about the many "strains" of buddhism. point them out to me if u can, and i'll prove to u that all of them basically filter down to the 2 main schools, theravada and mahayana.

and i don't think it's necessary to debate whether buddhism is a real religion or not. if u insist it isn't by your own definitions, then so be it. because to me and to many people it just is.

One of the more obvious signs religions are not measures of objective truth.

No, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You did contradict yourself. Read what you wrote again. Once we're "nothing to do with belief" then faith is unnecessary. But based on what you wrote below I think you might be misinterpreting my meaning. .

well, this could get tedious and childish, with a back and forth: "you're wrong! no, YOU'RE wrong." :D so i will not attempt to convince u of my point. please do not mistake this as me conceding self-contradiction.

I never said it wasn't. This is a completely separate issue as to whether the supernatural claims of religion are true or whether religion as a cultural force is a good thing. I don't dispute religion helps some people become better people, just as you presumably would not dispute some people do not "need" religion to become better people. But this isn't the point of Religulous and it's not the objection of people like me, which specifically is that the supernatural claims of religion are silly and encourage people to embed irrationality into their intellectual core. This is not helped by the mainstream religious failing to stand up and eradicate the extremist planks in their faiths, whether that be average Muslims not speaking out against terrorism or average Christians not speaking out against Prop 8.

if you're not disputing that "religion as a cultural force is a good thing" then you yourself are missing the sore point i have with maher in religulous. i simply took issue with him claiming to practice "doubt" when in fact he has no doubt whatsoever abt his dismissive view on religion.

I don't disagree, but it gets back to the central issue of whether the supernatural claims of these books are true. If these things are not "real" then they become merely instructive parables. Well so are Uncanny X-Men comics, but nobody seriously considers using those as cultural guides. We have to question whether books written by Bronze Age sheep herders are actually relevant on the whole, especially since they are so open to misinterpretation and we have proof enough they are fundamentally unnecessary.

again, your definition of relevance differs from mine. relevance to me is whether there is "truth" in the religious books, in the context of helping people understand the right way to live. u insist these are separate issues but i'm talking precisely abt that. if the teachings help people be better people then they work. no one is saying you HAVE to ONLY study religious texts to be a moral person. and no one is disputing that agnostics and atheists can also achieve that without turning to religious texts. BUT for a vast majority of people in the world, having "the good book" as a reference point for self-improvement is actually necessary. and where is your "proof" that religious texts are "fundamentally unnecessary"? i'd like to see it, please.

Well no, it's a conclusion drawn by the fact that god(s) and leprechauns have precisely the same amount of evidence in their favor: None at all.

Is believing in leprechauns a foolish thing, in itself?

well, if leprechauns taught u a good way to live your life then believing in them is not foolish at all. but so far i haven't heard of any leprechaun bibles. have u? :D

Yes, because the things we are talking about apply to all of them. Good atheists show religion is unnecessary in moral terms. It doesn't matter what religion we're talking about. Indeed the very notion of competing religions show religion is unnecessary in moral terms, unless we're to accept that the adherents of all but the "one true faith" are immoral. The conversation becomes much easier once we untangle the threads:

• Are the supernatural claims of any given religion real?
• Are the moral claims of any given religion necessary?
• Does the social benefit of faith outweigh the social cost?

These are three distinct issues. We can open a thread in the sandbox to talk about them if you want, but this is the last I'll post in this thread so it can return to Religious. Which, by the way, would answer those questions with a trio of nos.

i'd like to answer your point above with one simple observation. (and don't take this as an attack on u.)

any form of narrow view, be it from a religious or secular perspective, is dangerous. and that's the basic hypocrisy of bill maher. he goes on and on abt organized religion's dogmatic views when he is guilty of the very same thing. and it's PRECISELY that kind of narrow thinking that starts wars.

If you are only acting good because you believe in a God who will punish you if you don't, then you aren't doing it for the right reason, IMO. People should still act good to one another in a universe with no God, because it ultimately will bring you and others the greatest amount of happiness, which is an intrinsic good. Even if life is finite, and if there is no supernatural reward after "death," that is no reason to want to be miserable and to exploit others all the time. That is a pretty silly thing to say, actually.

God doesn't punish you for not doing good, it's all about God forgiving us for the bad things we've done.

And people can do a lot of bad things to bring themselves happiness. In a universe without god being good to other people doesn't make things better.

=tylerdurden;1719169]i'm curious as to where u get your information about the many "strains" of buddhism. point them out to me if u can, and i'll prove to u that all of them basically filter down to the 2 main schools, theravada and mahayana.

Basically there are three main strains: 1 Hinayana 2 Mahayana 3 Vayrayana. Theravada is just one school of Hinayana, however it's the only remaining Hinayana school left, there used to be many of these schools like the extinct Sarvastivada school for example. All these hinayana schools based their teachings on the early suttas or sutras like you can find in the sutta pitaka or the chinese agamas. Don't call theravadins Hinayana though because it's a bit of an insult, it means small vehicle (as opposed to great vehicle wich is Mahayana). It was given to them by the supporters of Mahayana Buddhism. Mahayana is very...very diverse. It contains so many different schools and sects with different ideas that you can't really call it a uniform strain. For example Zen-buddhism belongs to Mahayana buddhism but so does the Nichiren shu and they are quite opposite in what they teach. One strictly discourages reliance on holy texts and the other teaches that reciting the Lotus Sutra is the way.

and i don't think it's necessary to debate whether buddhism is a real religion or not. if u insist it isn't by your own definitions, then so be it. because to me and to many people it just is.

To be honest; most people deny that buddhism is a religion but it most certainly is a religion. But that's not really the point. The question is did Gotama Buddha (the only historical buddha) teach a new religion? I would have to say no he did not, he discouraged speculation about the origins of the universe, god, the soul etc.. He thaught a practical path to achieve freedom from suffering. He did teach the concept of rebirth but i don't think that's enough to classify his teachings as religion since even the ancient Greek philosophers talked about the soul (the soul was not something Buddha accepted in his teachings by the way). So his teachings (dhamma/dharma) are not religion. after the death of the Buddha his teaching were altered and transformed into a religion with it's own rituals and worship. followers of the Buddha had divinized him. He was no longer an enlightened HUMAN teacher but much more. He had become an object of worship. Some buddhists will say ''we do not worship the buddha we pay homage to him''. This however is a bit naive, placing a glorified statue on an altar surrounded by candles and incense while bowing and chanting holy texts in front of it sounds pretty much like worship to me:D. It is important to remember that buddha NEVER wanted this! The buddha told his followers that after his death the teachings alone would be their guide. We must conclude that buddhism indeed is a religion but that the original teachings of the Buddha were/are not religion.

O and i enjoined religulous, funny yet a bit on the shallow side. It was nothing new.

Basically there are three main strains: 1 Hinayana 2 Mahayana 3 Vayrayana. Theravada is just one school of Hinayana, however it's the only remaining Hinayana school left, there used to be many of these schools like the extinct Sarvastivada school for example. All these hinayana schools based their teachings on the early suttas or sutras like you can find in the sutta pitaka or the chinese agamas. Don't call theravadins Hinayana though because it's a bit of an insult, it means small vehicle (as opposed to great vehicle wich is Mahayana). It was given to them by the supporters of Mahayana Buddhism. Mahayana is very...very diverse. It contains so many different schools and sects with different ideas that you can't really call it a uniform strain. For example Zen-buddhism belongs to Mahayana buddhism but so does the Nichiren shu and they are quite opposite in what they teach. One strictly discourages reliance on holy texts and the other teaches that reciting the Lotus Sutra is the way.

8th wonder, great explanation. :)

however, vajrayana isn't greatly recognized by the majority of buddhist scholars as a 3rd school, as it is considered something of an offshoot and was never in the original buddhist scriptures. vajrayana was heavily influenced by hinduism. and a lot of its doctrine can ultimately be traced back to theravada (or what some call hinayana) buddhism anyway.

as for the many "strains" of mahayanism, it's still consistent with my earlier point that all the divergent versions of buddhism still fall under the 2 main schools. they may have many differing practices/rituals, and those are largely due to the influence of the native cultures and customs already present when buddhism was introduced to that particular country (example, tibetan or thai buddhism). i don't deny that they have ended up quite rich and diverse, but those varied mahayanan offshoots still have the same base principles.

but honestly, that again goes back to form not function. form, in buddhism is ultimately immaterial. what matters most is the insight and the action itself. and that goes back to the teachings of the buddha.

To be honest; most people deny that buddhism is a religion but it most certainly is a religion. But that's not really the point. The question is did Gotama Buddha (the only historical buddha) teach a new religion? I would have to say no he did not, he discouraged speculation about the origins of the universe, god, the soul etc.. He thaught a practical path to achieve freedom from suffering. He did teach the concept of rebirth but i don't think that's enough to classify his teachings as religion since even the ancient Greek philosophers talked about the soul (the soul was not something Buddha accepted in his teachings by the way). So his teachings (dhamma/dharma) are not religion. after the death of the Buddha his teaching were altered and transformed into a religion with it's own rituals and worship. followers of the Buddha had divinized him. He was no longer an enlightened HUMAN teacher but much more. He had become an object of worship. Some buddhists will say ''we do not worship the buddha we pay homage to him''. This however is a bit naive, placing a glorified statue on an altar surrounded by candles and incense while bowing and chanting holy texts in front of it sounds pretty much like worship to me:D. It is important to remember that buddha NEVER wanted this! The buddha told his followers that after his death the teachings alone would be their guide. We must conclude that buddhism indeed is a religion but that the original teachings of the Buddha were/are not religion.

O and i enjoined religulous, funny yet a bit on the shallow side. It was nothing new.

you're right abt many misinformed buddhists "worshipping" the buddha image/statue. that is basically due to a lack of understanding abt the true nature of the religion. personally, i've seen it many times all over the world, in my own country, around asia, and places as far-flung as germany and the uk.

some folk even go to the extent of "praying" to a buddha statue for good results in exams, luck in love relationships, and lottery numbers! :D

it's kinda like the good ol christian saying: "God only helps those who help themselves."

I avoid any discussions about religion. Everyone has an opinion, everyone thinks they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Hell in 2009 I know people who don't even believe in God or the bible.

8th wonder, great explanation. :)

however, vajrayana isn't greatly recognized by the majority of buddhist scholars as a 3rd school, as it is considered something of an offshoot and was never in the original buddhist scriptures. vajrayana was heavily influenced by hinduism. and a lot of its doctrine can ultimately be traced back to theravada (or what some call hinayana) buddhism anyway.

That is true however most tibetan buddhist regard it as the highest vehicle. In my studies of buddhism ( i basically studied every school of buddhism) it was always mentioned as it's own strain but i'm sure plenty of scholars see it otherwise. As for my own opinion about Vajrayana, i find most of the practices so alien to what Gotama Buddha thaught that i wouldn't even want to call it buddhism.

Last edited:
I hate this aggressive Atheism that's sweeping the media, and I don't follow any man made religion.
I find Richard Dawkins and his like to be arrogant, closed minded, know-it-alls.

That is true however most tibetan buddhist regard it as the highest vehicle. In my studies of buddhism ( i basically studied every school of buddhism) it was always mentioned as it's own strain but i'm sure plenty of scholars see it otherwise. As for my own opinion about Vajrayana, i find most of the practices so alien to what Gotama Buddha thaught that i wouldn't even want to call it buddhism.

yeah tibetan buddhism is quite unique indeed. i find some of their practices quite quaint and puzzling. however, the general attitude towards these esoteric rituals is that they are a means to an end, the end being develping the right concentration and focus required for insight meditation. as the saying goes: whatever works, baby! :D

I hate this aggressive Atheism that's sweeping the media, and I don't follow any man made religion.
I find Richard Dawkins and his like to be arrogant, closed minded, know-it-alls.

i haven't read dawkins' "the god delusion" but i can tell just from the title that he means to rile up the religious masses. i guess he succeeded. i do like his concept of memes though. very fascinating, and i kinda see the logic in it.

Which is ironic, considering they're the most open-minded people involved in the religious debate full stop. We're all waiting with baited breath for the first scintilla of, what's what word again? Oh, right. Evidence.

Or do you find people who lack belief in unicorns arrogant, close-minded know-it-alls?

Which is ironic, considering they're the most open-minded people involved in the religious debate full stop. We're all waiting with baited breath for the first scintilla of, what's what word again? Oh, right. Evidence.

Or do you find people who lack belief in unicorns arrogant, close-minded know-it-alls?

Disproving Unicorns is a lot easier than disproving Metaphysics. Your unicorn argument is straight of Dawkins book, so I guess you're a devout follower.

this is the only evidence I could find...:rotfl
God_pops_bag600.jpg

some-god-of-love.jpg
.......sorry, I'm feeling cruel ta-die!..;)

Well i think he has a point, it's easy to be an atheist if you can live a good life full of luxury. People starving or dying horribly at a young age may have nothing else than religion to give them some hope. In a meaningless universe what does it matter what we believe in anyway? Dawkins is deluded if he thinks that believing in god or not makes a difference. In the end science and religion are both equally useless. We all die, we should try to spend our time well. Some feel the need to believe in god while others don't, it really doesn't matter. Try to live happy without obstructing the happiness of others that is all that matters.

Well i think he has a point, it's easy to be an atheist if you can live a good life full of luxury. People starving or dying horribly at a young age may have nothing else than religion to give them some hope. In a meaningless universe what does it matter what we believe in anyway? Dawkins is deluded if he thinks that believing in god or not makes a difference. In the end science and religion are both equally useless. We all die, we should try to spend our time well. Some feel the need to believe in god while others don't, it really doesn't matter. Try to live happy without obstructing the happiness of others that is all that matters.

:rock:rock:rock:rock
Thats an awesome post.

this is the only evidence I could find...:rotfl
God_pops_bag600.jpg

hahaha, that's pretty funny/blasphemous. :D

ya, ultimately life is what u make of it. i've met 2 types of atheists. those who live a moral life without needing a religion to fall back on. and those who are so cynical abt life and people that they forget simple values. universal things like compassion and charity.

going back to religulous, i recently passed the dvd to a devout christian friend. she said after watching it she wanted to slap bill maher. :lol:lol:lol

but to her credit, she did concede that some of those numbskulls interviewed just had it coming.

Back